ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A kiss to the all the nice girls at Rocks Off who make this place so special!
By William Coupon from the "40x20 Exhibition" now on tour...

This header is dedicated to Pammy Mammy!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 40 Licks at # 3 Return to archive
10-15-02 10:20 PM
MidnightRambler I found this on a news page:

In the USA 'ELV1S 30 #1 Hits remains the #1 selling album for the third week with 211,027 copies sold. Bon Jovi's 'Bounce' is a new entry at #2 with 166,370 sold albums and the Rolling Stones' 'Forty Licks' is #3 with 137,628 albums sold this week.
10-15-02 11:03 PM
Boomhauer I know jb is going to have a say about this.

I'm surprised that Bon Jovi sold more copies. I really am. I thought many people liked the Stones hits. The Beatles sold way more per week and Elvis is a step ahead. I don't get it. The Stones are so unique with their different sound base. So many different types of songs. Nothing against Elvis, but "Uh-hunh, uh-hunh" is pretty lame. "Jailhouse Rock" and some other songs are pretty cool. Beatles.........I don't like them. I'm recommending Forty Licks to people and they say "Yeah........I MIGHT check it out."

I really think countries other than the US (eventhough many Stones records have been sold in the US) appreciate the Stones records a little bit more. I always thought that Europe is Stones country and the US was (and maybe still is) Beatles country. Just MO.

True, the STones start tours in the US, maybe because of the fan base, but it's mostly about the money, and there's nothing wrong about it, really. I just think especially Europe and SOuth America like the Stones more than Americans do.

[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-16-02 01:10 AM
Flash77 My two favorite bands at #2 and #3 on Billboard. I never thought I'd live to see the day.
10-16-02 10:02 AM
jb It would have been nice to have reached #1 in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 2002, but it was not meant to be. I think the albums release , the same week as Elvis, was not well thought out ..on the otherhand, I am sure they knew Elvis would sell strong, and apparently the #1 album thing was not as important to the Stones as it was to some of the fans like me. Cetainly I am not surprised that Bon Jovi bumped the Stones and Elvis..this band has sold millions of more albums worldwide than the Stones and like AeroSmith, their PR is dam good...always on MTV or Today show, opening Monday night football, etc...I thinks it's fair to say that this late in the game, record sales don't mean that much to the band (i.e. GITD)....Still, from a strictly selfish point of view , it would have been nice to have bragging rights for just 1 week!!! Unfortunately, we always are #2 to either the Beatles or the other flavor of the day....I really thought this album would sell over 5 million copies easily within the States and over 10 million worldwide...afterall, Hot Rocks, I believe, has sold over 5 million copies...
To change the subject, has anyone seen the new music video "Dirty" by Chritian Aguilera? While obviously not a fan of her music, this talented young lady is expolsively sexier than the Britneys and J-lo's...I wish I was single and 15 yrs younger so I could date the young Chritiana look-alikes out there today...What a remarkable young lady!!!

[Edited by jb]
10-16-02 10:10 AM
Honky Tonk Man jb, she is indeed HOT! I have not seen the new video though, Anyone seen the new Shakira video? Now that is SEXY!

Grrrrrr, woof, woof!

randy man Alex
10-16-02 10:17 AM
jb Shakira is a little wide in the rear for me..Chritiana, on the otherhand, is rail thin, with beautiful breast augmentation..
10-16-02 10:29 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yeah i suppose she is a little wide in that area! Shes getting on a bit actually. Shes 25, all the others are either 18 or 19, or in their early 20s. 15 years younger then you jb!

Alex
10-16-02 10:47 AM
Harrylime "Beautiful breast augmentation"??? WTF!? Is this some trendy new terminology for BIG TITS?
10-16-02 10:48 AM
jb Yes..that's how we refer to it in Boca...sounds more "natural"...
10-16-02 11:01 AM
Maxlugar Yes in one shot you can see the ripple effect of her beautiful new fun bags.

She's trying, rather obviously, to break out of that teeny bopper crowd with this Dirty video.

She even now talks with a "Hip Hop" accent.

Brittney is still hotter in my opinion.

Did you ever see them standing next to each other at the podium of some awards show a few years back? Brittney was much better looking. And much taller.

MAXY!
10-16-02 11:04 AM
jb Funny Max..I think Britney has a prettier face and more wholesome look...but Christian is the real "bad" girl that I thought Britney was trying to hard to be....however, theyu both are certainly better looking than Pink...
[Edited by jb]
10-16-02 02:55 PM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
It would have been nice to have reached #1 in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 2002, but it was not meant to be. I think the albums release , the same week as Elvis, was not well thought out ..on the otherhand, I am sure they knew Elvis would sell strong, and apparently the #1 album thing was not as important to the Stones as it was to some of the fans like me. Cetainly I am not surprised that Bon Jovi bumped the Stones and Elvis..this band has sold millions of more albums worldwide than the Stones and like AeroSmith, their PR is dam good...always on MTV or Today show, opening Monday night football, etc...I thinks it's fair to say that this late in the game, record sales don't mean that much to the band (i.e. GITD)....Still, from a strictly selfish point of view , it would have been nice to have bragging rights for just 1 week!!! Unfortunately, we always are #2 to either the Beatles or the other flavor of the day....I really thought this album would sell over 5 million copies easily within the States and over 10 million worldwide...afterall, Hot Rocks, I believe, has sold over 5 million copies...
To change the subject, has anyone seen the new music video "Dirty" by Chritian Aguilera? While obviously not a fan of her music, this talented young lady is expolsively sexier than the Britneys and J-lo's...I wish I was single and 15 yrs younger so I could date the young Chritiana look-alikes out there today...What a remarkable young lady!!!

[Edited by jb]

Time for a reality check around here....it's not like the album is bombing...it's sold around 500,000 in just two weeks...a record for a new Stones album...there are 197 albums below it on the Billboard Top 200 chart...the Stones have never sold 5 million copies of a new album in the U.S. alone....it took HOT ROCKS 30 years to sell as many copies as it has....it always sells well with every Stones tour...FORTY LICKS will sell around 2 million copies in the U.S. and at least double that worldwide....very respectable, consistent, and solid...they never sold more than Elvis and the Beatles and it's not going to start now....LICKS will probably end up selling millions more since it will most likely replace HOT ROCKS as the album people buy during future Stones tours...we should all be glad they are doing this well
10-16-02 03:42 PM
jb I was not being negative at all...I just wanted the album to go #1...I don't think thats to large a request for an album (cd) containing the greatest rock-n-roll ever recorded.
[Edited by jb]
10-16-02 08:42 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, I still have hope - it's still the strongest seller at Amazon, which means the overall long term interest for it is higher than Bon Jovi or Elvis.

But what's coming out next week? You might well see Forty Licks sneak a #1 in for one week.

I hope I hope I hope I hope...

And maybe then Virgin will realize that maybe they should, I don't know... *market* "Don't Stop"?

-tSYX --- But you'll nevah break neavah break nevah breaaaaak....
10-16-02 08:54 PM
Boomhauer They should just make the next record on Rolling STones Records!

As for Bon Jovi, it will drop next week. It didn't even sell much for a debut album. This week a Fleetwood Mac best of came out, but I don't think it will be high on the charts. Actually, it will probably be way off of the radar! We know who has the better "Don't Stop", don't we? DA STONES!

BTW, I subscribed to Rolling Stone magazine just to look for STones stuff, and every issue I have received has something about the STones! Also, I got the one with the "Women of Rock" on it. I can't believe they would actually say that most of those women in the magazine have anything to do with rock music (Brittany, Pink, Mary J. Blige, April Laverne(?), and others). Can anybody say POP, POP, POP, POP music? I think that's what they are involved with. But, maybe I should expect it: the music industry and music media is pretty fucked up these days.

Goooooooin' to a go-go, evereh-bott-eh, goooooin' to a go-go, come on down!

Tomorrow is Turdsday!
[Edited by Boomhauer]