ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A kiss to the all the nice girls at Rocks Off who make this place so special!
By William Coupon from the "40x20 Exhibition" now on tour...

This header is dedicated to Pammy Mammy!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: jagger producing one track for a charity cd Return to archive
10-14-02 11:48 PM
moy Welsh bands back War Child charity Oct 14 2002
Tony Trainor, The Western Mail

LONG-AWAITED charity CD eaturing cover versions of classic songs performed by three of the best rock bands to emerge from Wales finally goes on sale today. The album, 1 Love, features five decades of number one hits recorded by some of today's hottest names in pop and rock, including Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics and Feeder.

It has been produced by the charity War Child UK, in association with music magazine NME, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary, to raise funds for chilren living in hardship in the world's most troubled regions. The 16-track CD features a recording by the Manics of Chris Farlowe's 1966 hit Out Of Time, a song by the Rolling Stones whose frontman Mick Jagger produced Farlowe's version.

The Manics' singer-guitarist James Dean Bradfield said, "I discovered the song when I saw the film Coming Home when I was 15 and it always stuck with me.

"When I realised it had been a number one for someone else, it seemed like fate.

"It's our wedding reception moment."

The Stereophonics chose Sinead O'Connor's 1990 smash Nothing Compares 2 U, which was originally written by Prince and performed by The Family.

The 'Phonics' singer-songwriter Kelly Jones said, "Obviously it's for a good charity and we wanted to help raise money and awareness for War Child.

"I found picking a number one from the past 50 years interesting

. . . there's a lot of weird ways you can go.

"As usual, there wasn't a lot of time to get it done, but I've always thought the song we picked is a great song, and doing it in a very stripped down way gave it a very intimate and an almost rubbing-itin-your-face angle."

The album also features Feeder, the South Wales band who have been rebuilding their career since the death of drummer Jon Lee in January.

Feeder perform The Power Of Love, a Christmas hit for Frankie Goes To Hollywood in 1984.

"One of the only decent ballads to come out of the '80s and fitting lyrics for the War Child cause," said Feeder's Grant Nicholas.

The 1 Love album is a successor to the 1995 album Help, which raised more than �1.25m for War Child and was instrumental in raising the charity's profile during the Bosnian crisis.

The money raised by this year's 1 Love album will be spent on projects in Central Asia, the Middle East and Central Africa.