ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does Anyone Know What Amplifiers.....? Return to archive
October 13th, 2004 12:52 AM
rockstarbrian Does anyone here know what amplifiers Keith Richards and Mick Taylor used to record Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers? I've been trying to find out for years and I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

THE STONES ROCK!!

(A 20 year old guitar player/song writer stones-fanatic)
October 13th, 2004 02:02 AM
marko My guess is Ampeg,don�t know the model.In stage keith used
ampegs up to 1978.After that mesaboogie.
October 13th, 2004 04:55 AM
Mathijs Let it Bleed: mostly Vox AC-15 and AC-30, and a Triumph Tremelo 50 amp. No Ampeg, as the Stones did not have contact with Ampeg until the 1969 tour. For Sticky Fingers: mostly Fender Twin amps (not Twin reverb), Ampeg VT-4 and Ameg Gemini, and again Vox AC-30.

Mathijs
October 13th, 2004 06:24 PM
rockstarbrian thank you so much!!!! That is totally awesome thank you so much! Any idea what guitar keith used to record brown sugar and can't you hear me knockin? or what guitar mick taylor used on brown sugar?

I always thought/assumed keith used his black beauty or his 59 and mick taylor used a big semi-hollow es 335 or whatever.

THANKS SO MUCH!!! The mysteries of sticky fingers and let it bleed are being unraveled....
October 13th, 2004 07:50 PM
Soldatti Great info Mathijs
Thanks for post that
October 13th, 2004 07:51 PM
Soldatti Welcome rockstarbrian
October 13th, 2004 08:33 PM
rockstarbrian Thank you!
October 14th, 2004 03:11 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
Any idea what guitar keith used to record brown sugar and can't you hear me knockin? or what guitar mick taylor used on brown sugar?

don't know about CYHMK - but i recall reading (can't remember where at the moment) that for BS keith used a Gibson SG

while it's not always easy to tell - judging by the sound i'd say for CYHMK both keith and MT were using Gibsons - with Les Paul's being my best guest - i defer however to those with greater knowledge than mine

also pics. from the LIB era sessions (HTW in particular)feature fender twin reverb amps
October 14th, 2004 03:39 AM
rockstarbrian any idea where you could see pics of them recording sticky fingers in the studio?? That's amazing that you think he used an sg though... that blows my mind! I only just yesterday saw keith playing an sg in a picture. I know that mick taylor used an sg but keith I didn't know... wow. Cool thanks a lot.
October 14th, 2004 04:28 AM
Mathijs For Brown Suger, there's an interview in the net with a guy from the Muscel Shoals studio, and he sais "Keith was using his black SG, you know the one he used a lot at that time". Well, I don't know of any black SG that any of the Stones ever used! My main guess always has been the Ampeg Dan Armstrong, as at Altamont he played all open G songs with his LP Custom, only for Brown Suger he detunes his Armstrong to open G.

For Can't You Hear Me Knocking, keith used a Big Muff Pi fuzz pedal for sure, and most probably he used his LP Custom. Taylor has said in an interview he used Keith's black ES-345 for the solo.

About amps for Let it Bleed: I actually never ever seen pictures from the LIB sessions. There's many from the BB sessions, some from the SF sessions, but none I ever seen from the early to mid-1969 sessions.

Mathijs