ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: count basie and the stones Return to archive
October 12th, 2004 07:06 AM
thejuf I know Count Basie once played for the Stones in 1972, if I am not mistaken.
As a jazzlover I was wondering what Basie's big band played.
Details, please!!!

October 12th, 2004 07:56 AM
Gazza he played at a private party held for Mick Jagger's 29th birthday (and to celebrate the end of the 1972 tour) at a New York hotel (cant recall which one off the top of my head - maybe the St Regis or the Waldorf Astoria) following the band's show at Madison Square Garden on 26th July 1972.

as for what they played - God knows. Theres a bit about it in Bob Greenfield's "STP Journey Through America" book which chronicles the tour.

[Edited by Gazza]
October 12th, 2004 08:24 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Yeah, I didn't know this story!!!
It's incredible to think Count Basie playng the piano and Mick sing some jazzy tunes....
1972...I was 8 but....
I wish to be there...
October 12th, 2004 10:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
Fabio Hot Stuff wrote:
Yeah, I didn't know this story!!!
It's incredible to think Count Basie playng the piano and Mick sing some jazzy tunes....
1972...I was 8 but....
I wish to be there...

no, that didnt happen (as far as I'm aware). Count Basie and his band were the cabaret for that party. I dont think there's ever been a suggestion that any of the Stones actually got up and played with them

Mick did jam with Muddy Waters and Stevie Wonder that night, though and it WAS at the St Regis Hotel (just checked this last bit on Nico Zentgraf's site as I dont have the STP book handy..)
[Edited by Gazza]
October 12th, 2004 10:42 AM
F505 Just one year later the Count recorded Basie Jam, still one of my favorites with Irving Ashby playing like a jazzy Keith
Great album.

October 12th, 2004 12:01 PM
thejuf yeah, Basie rules, but I dote on 'The Complete Atomic Basie'

October 12th, 2004 01:23 PM
F505
quote:
thejuf wrote:
yeah, Basie rules, but I dote on 'The Complete Atomic Basie'

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by F505]
October 12th, 2004 03:36 PM
glencar The St. Regis is an old lady hotel on Central Park South. Nice pissers.
October 12th, 2004 09:35 PM
Soldatti Thanks for this story. I didn't know it.