ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks & Vinyl Return to archive
October 11th, 2004 12:06 PM
Monkeytonkman Am I the only one here who's pissed off that it clearly isn't going to be released on vinyl?

I've been a fan of the Stones for 15 years, I�m 30 now and over the initial years spent my time collecting all of their studio albums/ official compilations and live albums on vinyl.

Right up to No Security, I would make sure that I was at the shops the day of any new release to get a copy of it on vinyl. All that changed with 40 licks though - apart from some unsubstantiated rumours that a limited edition was released in the Netherlands? no soon.

Now that Live Licks is to be released - again no mention of a vinyl version. This just fucking sucks! What an insult to fans who still appreciate vinyl recordings.

I've said this before, but Pink Floyd managed to release their last compilation on vinyl, Iron Maiden do it, so do Aerosmith, Metallica's next release will be on vinyl. Deep Purples re-issue of Burn will be on limited edition vinyl. I could go on and list bands that consider their fans.

So why not the Stones? the only conclusion that I can conclude is that they don't give a flying fuck about the fans. Too much expenditure for too little return. just another example of how my all time favourite band are only in it for the money.

Sad days my friends, sad days indeed.

However, should anyone have any good news for me and tell me that there will indeed be a vinyl release, then I will quite happily eat my hat. Not much chance of that though.
October 11th, 2004 12:24 PM
jb Can you get a cd player? They are very affordable these days and can be purchased for as low as $12.00(US currency).
October 11th, 2004 12:31 PM
Monkeytonkman Sorry dude, don't like 'em. don't give me that special feelin' - if ya know what i mean.

October 11th, 2004 12:35 PM
jb
quote:
Monkeytonkman wrote:
Sorry dude, don't like 'em. don't give me that special feelin' - if ya know what i mean.

I understand....maybe you can get the dance mix of SFTD at some hip-hop club -the D-jays lover to "scratch" the vinyl....
October 11th, 2004 12:41 PM
Saint Sway vinyl's cool. I'm sorry you wont be able to add Live Licks to your collection. But your conclusion that its too much expenditure for too little return and that they dont care about their fans is off this time.

releasing a record on vinyl in addition to cd is actually a lucrative game for most bands. Its an opportunity for them to milk additional purchases on the same album from their hardcore fan base. Vinyl releases are geared at fanatics that automatically buy the album on cd and will still make an additional purchase of the vinyl version for collectors sake. Its always done as a limited release. And is guaranteed to sell out.

this is why money gorging bands like Metallica and Aerosmith do it.

frankly, knowing what greedy whores the Stones are, I'm surprised that they are not releasing Live Licks on vinyl
October 11th, 2004 12:42 PM
Monkeytonkman Bollocks to that man. now if were talking 'bout a hot rock chick dressed up in vinyl. now THAT gets my juices flowing in all the right ways.
October 11th, 2004 12:47 PM
Monkeytonkman I'm sorry saint sway, but I gotta beg to differ.

I bought Honkin' on Bobo on vinyl but not on CD, same with 'Dance of Death' by Maiden and 'Echoes' by Floyd

Come on dude, it's a bit ripe to accuse Aerosmith and Metallica of being 'Money Gorgers' as if they are in a different league to the oh so Magnanimous Stones. Althoug I do see your point about appealing to the hardcore fans.
October 11th, 2004 12:57 PM
Saint Sway but your the exception to the rule. You stated you prefer vinyl. So when given the opportunity you'll buy just the vinyl release

however, most fanatics buy both. Thats what the vinyl releases are targeted to.

and Metallica and Aerosmith are ENORMOUS WHORES.

Dont kid yourself. They are all about the money.
October 11th, 2004 01:30 PM
egon i understand they sell vinyl via RS.com.
that is if you renew you memebership...
October 11th, 2004 07:51 PM
Soldatti The vinyl was the best but now is a prehistoric format. The Cd's are in extintion danger, so...