ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Problems playing the Stones SACD's... Return to archive
October 10th, 2004 02:52 AM
The_Worst I recently bought an ipod and I'm having problems playing any of the new SACD's on my computer. I've noticed I've been having this problem playing all the SACD's I have... Does anybody know how to correct this? Are these made so that you cannot play them on a computer cd/dvd drive? My computer is a Dell and less than a year old so I don't know what else could be causing the problem. Any help anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!
October 10th, 2004 05:00 AM
Hannalee The CD drive on my computer has been out of action for ages, so I have to play everything in the DVD drive instead, which works fine for everything except SACD releases. I gave up buying the Stones' ones because of the problem - I gather the DVD player can't make sense of the encoding. It's a pain.
October 10th, 2004 01:08 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
The CD drive on my computer has been out of action for ages, so I have to play everything in the DVD drive instead, which works fine for everything except SACD releases. I gave up buying the Stones' ones because of the problem - I gather the DVD player can't make sense of the encoding. It's a pain.

That really stinks. Since many groups are re-releasing their albums in SACD format only does that mean there will be no way to convert many of these albums to MP3 format? Anybody have any ideas?!
October 10th, 2004 01:22 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

That really stinks. Since many groups are re-releasing their albums in SACD format only does that mean there will be no way to convert many of these albums to MP3 format? Anybody have any ideas?!

i have had no problems with the stones SACD discs. they play in any player i put them in, made possible by the fact that they are hybrids (containing the standard redbook audio CD WAV data - which sounds great, too). now it is true that sacd only can not be made directly to mp3, there is NO problem doing this with the hybrid SACDs (like the stones' ABCKO reissues). simply use EAC, and rip like normal, and then make your *.mp3s...
October 10th, 2004 02:41 PM
Bloozehound I had the same problem with mine, the cd/dvd player drive won't read them, but the cd-rw drive will
October 10th, 2004 02:54 PM
Soldatti I had the same problem with my CD-RW, but works good on my standard CD-room.
October 11th, 2004 01:52 PM
egon the worst,

can you be more specific about your pc?
dell does not always have the same players in their PCs.
(I have a new Dell pc with 2 dvd-cd drives and no problems at all...)

is it a cd player, or dvd-cd combination? what is the brand?
The problem could also be the software you play it with. do you use the dell media experience? if so, try to play them via windows media for instance.

[Edited by egon]
October 11th, 2004 03:11 PM
Madafaka I had no problems
October 11th, 2004 09:48 PM
jpenn11 I've watched this thread with interest, but am still trying to figure out why they crazy glued the discs to the jewel case. Maybe then I'll figure out whether the things play in my computer . . .
October 12th, 2004 01:10 AM
The_Worst
quote:
egon wrote:
the worst,

can you be more specific about your pc?
dell does not always have the same players in their PCs.
(I have a new Dell pc with 2 dvd-cd drives and no problems at all...)

is it a cd player, or dvd-cd combination? what is the brand?
The problem could also be the software you play it with. do you use the dell media experience? if so, try to play them via windows media for instance.

[Edited by egon]

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400. The drive can read CD's and DVD's but can only burn CD's. I pretty much use Real Player to play CD's on it but the iTunes software that came with my iPod cannot read the SACDs either. I assume it must be the drive because I don't know what else could be causing the problem!!

October 12th, 2004 07:08 AM
egon try to play the tunes with windows meadia player;

- insert disc
- right click and choose "explore" (and not open)
- right click on a track and choose "open with" or "play with".
- choose to open/play with windows media player
(as my pc is in french i have to guess a bit what i says in english)

if that doesn't work call the dell support center.
you have a 3 year warranty for the thing, and have free online support.

when you call them have you pc number ready (it's on the side of it) they will know the whole configuration of your pc and should be able to help you. It could be you only have to upgrade the software, which is normally free.

And if that doesn't work, at least ask them what kind of player is in your pc (brand+type) and surf the net.

let me know!
October 12th, 2004 08:52 AM
Lil Brian I now have a Dell Dimension 8250 with NEC dvd+rw ND1100A/Samsung dvd-rom SD-616T disc drives. Neither one recognizes the new SACDs so I haven't been able to burn from those discs yet. Any clues?
October 12th, 2004 10:52 AM
Factory Girl My understanding is that SACDs cannot be burned.

Also, I haven't tried to play my Stones SACDs yet.
October 12th, 2004 12:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
My understanding is that SACDs cannot be burned.

Also, I haven't tried to play my Stones SACDs yet.

"burn" means to create a disc. "rip" means to take the WAV data off the CD and store it on your computer. even if you are making mp3s, the WAV data is what is taken/read from the CD; then iTunes (or whatever program) converts the WAV to mp3...

if they are straight sacds, you can not rip them (there is no WAV data to read). these will NOT play in any CD player. they will only play in SACD players...

if they are hybrid SACD discs (like the Stones ones), then they will play in all CD players, and the WAV data can be read, and thus the music can be ripped to you computer...

i do not know what kind of DRM i Tunes employs. it may have something to do with the problems some are experiencing. that is why i suggested using EAC (i provided a link in one of my previous posts in this thread) since i KNOW that that program works...
October 12th, 2004 12:43 PM
Factory Girl Can you burn hybrid SACDs on a stand-alone?
October 12th, 2004 12:54 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Can you burn hybrid SACDs on a stand-alone?

you should be able to rip them on a standalone, but i have never tried it...
October 12th, 2004 04:28 PM
Lil Brian I'm feeling a little ripped off, right about now. Eject.
October 12th, 2004 05:11 PM
luridchief The ABKCO remasters ripped just fine on my computer-an Apple PowerBook using iTunes. I got 'em all on my iPod, 'natch!
October 12th, 2004 05:31 PM
Bloozehound I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and use MusicMatch Jukebox to play, rip and burn most stuff, but it won't read the SACD's unless I put them in the CD-RW drive, same when I used Real Player.

Have you updated all your drivers and media players ?

Are you selecting the correct drive (D: or E for your software to read ?
October 12th, 2004 05:33 PM
glencar No problems playing SACD's in any port so far.
October 12th, 2004 05:51 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and use MusicMatch Jukebox to play, rip and burn most stuff, but it won't read the SACD's unless I put them in the CD-RW drive, same when I used Real Player.

Have you updated all your drivers and media players ?

Are you selecting the correct drive (D: or E for your software to read ?

I'll try MusicMatch Jukebox. Thanks. :-)
October 12th, 2004 09:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Can you burn hybrid SACDs on a stand-alone?

Yes, but not at the same quality...
October 13th, 2004 06:36 AM
egon just use your warranty and call dell.
and only update the firmware if you know what you are doing, cos you can fuck up your drive for good.