ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young! Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 8th, 2004 02:55 AM
marko I bought yesterday,album HARVEST,because i tought it is a
classic,and damn EX album that is........
So what others i need from him,,,,i think i�ll buy them
all.But any first hand suggestions?
October 8th, 2004 03:38 AM
Poplar you started with the best, my friend.
check out Live Rust and Comes a Time
[Edited by Poplar]
October 8th, 2004 03:54 AM
mary kay If you are looking for essential live albums get
Weld
Year of The Horse
October 8th, 2004 08:35 AM
mac_daddy zuma
after the gold rush
everybody knows this nowhere

but if you really haven'theard any of this studio stuff, buy "decade" which is a two-disc retrospective, with many of neil's classic songs...

and...

harvest moon
freedom

these are two of his later albums that are worth picking up, as well...
October 8th, 2004 09:28 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Decade is another good one (it's a 2cd best of his 70s stuff and I consider it a must have). I remember (sort of) many a night at university playing this album, everyone loved it.
October 8th, 2004 11:13 AM
sirmoonie Marko,

Get Rust Never Sleeps first.

C10
October 8th, 2004 11:17 AM
sirmoonie And then get Ragged Glory and Tonight's the Night.

Neil Young is one of those few artists for which Greatest Hits don't suffice, but Decade is kind of an exception to that rule since it is so comprehensive and well selected.
October 8th, 2004 11:58 AM
marko Thanks mate,i bought today 2more,Are You Passionate and
Broken Arrow(with crazy horse).
Are you passionate,bloody good album,Broken arrow takes some
time,get to know to.
And moonie,about c10,next year mate!
October 8th, 2004 12:09 PM
Dan Ragged Glory is my favorite but I would admit I dont have them all (and I really want Zuma)
October 8th, 2004 03:37 PM
The Eggman I would have to say it would be

NEIL YOUNG - TRANS

It's gott abe one of mine and Joey's all time fav's!....

Honourably mention: Robert Palmer - Looking For Clues
October 8th, 2004 04:01 PM
jb My favorite is probably "Rokcing in the free world"...
October 8th, 2004 05:04 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jb wrote:
My favorite is probably "Rokcing in the free world"...

that would be found on "freedom"
October 8th, 2004 08:25 PM
The Eggman "Transformer man, do-lu-do do do"

October 8th, 2004 09:49 PM
Soldatti Zuma is amazing, one of my favorites.
October 8th, 2004 09:56 PM
Blind Dog McGhee and then get the new Jon Dee Graham, The Great Battle which includes a cover of "Harvest."

http://www.newwestrecords.com/artists/jdg/
October 9th, 2004 12:00 AM
T&A I always come back to Ragged Glory as maybe his strongest, most consistent album. And it rocks like a mofo....
[Edited by T&A]
October 9th, 2004 09:03 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
marko wrote:
Thanks mate,i bought today 2more,Are You Passionate and
Broken Arrow(with crazy horse).
Are you passionate,bloody good album,Broken arrow takes some
time,get to know to.
And moonie,about c10,next year mate!

I love Broken Arrow, Marko. Loose Change is simply great - a terrific jam!

Most of Neil's classics have been mentioned here already (except my personal favourite - On The Beach. Although, Are You Passionate is a good album, it doesn't (imo) stand well with his "better" albums. My personal favourites, in order, are as follows:

1) On The Beach- 1974

2) Zuma- 1975

3) Tonight's The Night- 1975

4) Rust Never Sleeps- 1979

5) After The Gold Rush- 1970

If you like his live material, WELD, Rust Never Sleeps, Unplugged and LIVE RUST are all great.

Here's a great Neil site -
http://hyperrust.org/

And a great Neil tree site (you need to register)-
http://trees.hempsall.com/

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
October 9th, 2004 11:34 PM
Soldatti This last resume is great, all the best albums there.
October 10th, 2004 09:40 PM
corgi37 100% get Decade. It's great.

Ragged Glory is my fave of his. It rocks so hard. No one has distortion like him. The songs are just brilliant. Fucking up, love to burn love and only love - these songs are stunning. The video of that tour is unreal.

Sleeps with Angels is not bad either. 15 minutes of "Change your mind" (about Kurt Cobain) is scarily powerful.

Zuma is pretty cool. A fun album.

Broken Arrow is just cant get into. Played it a few times, but never since it came out.

October 11th, 2004 04:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Neil Young: Greatest Hits

Reprise/Warner Bros has set a Nov. 16 release date for Neil Young's first "Greatest Hits." The 16-track set boasts such classics as "The Needle and the Damage Done," "Southern Man," Neil Young's sole No. 1 hit, "Comes a Time" and "Cinnamon Girl," along with the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young cuts "Ohio" and "Helpless."
"Greatest Hits" will also be available with a bonus DVD featuring the original stereo master mixes of the music. When each song is played, the DVD will display the vinyl cover of the album of Neil Young from which it is drawn spinning on turntable. Bonus features include a photo gallery, lyrics and music videos for "Harvest Moon" and "Rockin' in the Free World."
The cover of Neil Young "Greatest Hits" album will feature an image of Neil from the early Seventies.

Neil Young "Greatest Hits" album tracklisting:
1. Down By The River (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
2. Cowgirl In The Sand (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
3. Cinnamon Girl (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
4. C.S.N.Y.: Helpless (from D�j� Vu, 1970)
5. After The Gold Rush (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
6. Only Love Can Break Your Heart (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
7. Southern Man (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
8. CSNY: Ohio (single, from Four Way Street, 1971)
9. The Needle and the Damage Done (from Harvest, 1972)
10. Old Man (from Harvest, 1972)
11. Heart Of Gold (from Harvest, 1972)
12. Like A Hurricane (from American Stars 'n' Bars, 1977)
13. Comes A Time (from Comes A Time, 1978)
14. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) (from Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
15. Rockin' In The Free World (from Freedom, 1989)
16. Harvest Moon (from Harvest Moon, 1992)
October 11th, 2004 05:25 AM
Gazza Picking a Neil Young album to recommend to someone who isnt that familiar with his material isnt easy because his style varies so much.

I would recommend you buy "Decade" which gives a good introduction to his career up to 1977.

The best studio albums IMO are pretty close to the ones LazyBones recommends.

Tonight's The Night (1975)
Ragged Glory (1990)
On The Beach (1974)
Rust Never Sleeps (1979)
Zuma (1975)

Even saying that, you might not 'get' "Tonights The Night". It sounds like it was done over a couple of nights in a series of first takes with all the participants stoned to the gills. In reality, thats pretty close to how it was. It's raggedness is a huge part of it's charm.

Also buy "Live Rust" (1979) and "Weld" (1991) for two fantastic examples of why Neil & Crazy Horse are one of the greatest live bands in history.
October 11th, 2004 03:19 PM
Saint Sway Corgi mentioned "Ragged Glory" as being a real rocker and I conquer. "Live Rust" is a must own!!

cool to see some Neil fans here. Whats your takes on Greendale?
October 11th, 2004 03:46 PM
Gazza A bit of an over-indulgence and a bit hit and miss - but an album I doubt any other major artist would have the balls to make - let alone take on the road and play in its entirety before it was released!
October 11th, 2004 03:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Neil Young: Greatest Hits

Reprise/Warner Bros has set a Nov. 16 release date for Neil Young's first "Greatest Hits." The 16-track set boasts such classics as "The Needle and the Damage Done," "Southern Man," Neil Young's sole No. 1 hit, "Comes a Time" and "Cinnamon Girl," along with the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young cuts "Ohio" and "Helpless."
"Greatest Hits" will also be available with a bonus DVD featuring the original stereo master mixes of the music. When each song is played, the DVD will display the vinyl cover of the album of Neil Young from which it is drawn spinning on turntable. Bonus features include a photo gallery, lyrics and music videos for "Harvest Moon" and "Rockin' in the Free World."
The cover of Neil Young "Greatest Hits" album will feature an image of Neil from the early Seventies.

Neil Young "Greatest Hits" album tracklisting:
1. Down By The River (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
2. Cowgirl In The Sand (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
3. Cinnamon Girl (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
4. C.S.N.Y.: Helpless (from D�j� Vu, 1970)
5. After The Gold Rush (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
6. Only Love Can Break Your Heart (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
7. Southern Man (from After The Goldrush, 1970)
8. CSNY: Ohio (single, from Four Way Street, 1971)
9. The Needle and the Damage Done (from Harvest, 1972)
10. Old Man (from Harvest, 1972)
11. Heart Of Gold (from Harvest, 1972)
12. Like A Hurricane (from American Stars 'n' Bars, 1977)
13. Comes A Time (from Comes A Time, 1978)
14. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) (from Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)
15. Rockin' In The Free World (from Freedom, 1989)
16. Harvest Moon (from Harvest Moon, 1992)

terrible tracklisting. Obviously the 1983-87 period isnt there as he was on Geffen but the first twelve songs are all on "Decade" already and the last four songs cover a period in which Neil made ten studio albums for Warners/Reprise, many of which were amongst the most acclaimed and commercially successful of his career.
October 11th, 2004 04:41 PM
marko Well,does 1983-1986 period have,this typical 1980ies sound?
Jethro Tull sounded awful in 1980ies.
I can get many of you listed very easily,only for 11euros,
each.So,i think i�ll buy them all anyways.And don�t get me
started with boots,not just yet.
Neils songs are very simple,but so enjoyable to listen.
I wonder why it took such a long from me,to start listening
him.Maybe the timing is right.
October 11th, 2004 05:25 PM
Gazza No - his albums on Geffen were for the most part very untypical of anything he's done before or since. So much so that David Geffen actually tried to sue him for deliberately making records that didnt sound like Neil Young!

Those Geffen trouser-fillers in full were :

"Trans" (1982) - Neil discovers the vocoder and tries to sound like Kraftwerk for 6 of the 9 songs on the album. Its actually a decent album,and contains some very good songs although its like having two very different EP's on the same album. Not for everyone, though. Totally unlike anything else he's done before or since.

"Everybody's Rockin'" (1983) Six months later, Neil does an about turn and goes pseudo-rockabilly. The whole album lasts about 25 minutes and as well as a few originals, includes covers of "Rainin in My Heart", "Mystery Train" and "Bright Lights Big City". His voice doesnt really lend itself to rockabilly, though.

"Old Ways" (1985) - an unjustly overlooked country album compared to the much-lauded "Harvest" and "Harvest moon". Half of Nashville seem to be listed on the credits and theres duets with both Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. Neil's singing is superb throughout, and it includes a gorgeous cover of the old 50's standard "The Wayward Wind" plus a cracking song called "Misfits" with bizarre lyrics about the crew in the space station watching Muhammad Ali reruns.

"Landing on Water" (1986) an album of pretty decent songs ruined in the studio with too much synthesizer and programming (like most Neil albums, many of the songs were recorded or performed live a year or two before the album was released. In this case, the originals were far superior). Only two songs are worth it IMO - "Violent Side" and the superb "Touch The Night" (a song which sounds like a cousin of "Like a Hurricane" and which was accompanied by a bizarre promo video). One of the worst albums he ever put out.

"Life" (1987) - back with Crazy Horse for the first time on a studio album in five years and a marked improvement. Its not brilliant, but has a few gems such as "Mid East Vacation", "Long Walk Home" and "When Your Lonely Heart Breaks".

Geffen also issued a compilation in 1993 of Neil's material on the label which Neil gave them for free as part of the agreement to get him out of his contract. Its called "Lucky Thirteen" and contains quite a few unreleased songs from the Neil Young Archives such as a great live track called "Dont Take Your Love Away From Me" and the original live version of "This Notes For You" which appeared in the MTV award winning promo video and was on the original "Blue Note Cafe" recordings which remain unreleased (the studio version is the title track of the first album he made after he returned to Reprise). Its not a bad album, although I dont think the previously released songs chosen for the track listing are really the best of his Geffen work.

[Edited by Gazza]
October 11th, 2004 09:16 PM
The Eggman Thats right GAZZA!....

TRans!!!!

with Transformer Man!
October 12th, 2004 01:54 AM
marko Thanks a LOT mate!
October 12th, 2004 08:50 PM
corgi37 That is a crappy best of. Get Decade!!!

It just seems so odd to have the 70's well covered, then nothing for 10 years! He should have waited until he figured his contractural shit out, like the Stones did with 40 licks.

What about the album with 10 men working and this notes for you? I liked that alot. Neil Young and the Blue notes wasnt it? Some good stuff on it.

Oh, and 1 more thing. Rocking in the free world is simply a awesome song. Brilliant as can be. A real anthem. But the clip is terrible. No, humiliating. Neil looks like he's joined Spandau Ballet.

October 13th, 2004 03:27 PM
juggsy Comes a Time
Page: 1 2