ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: An interview with Robert Plant Return to archive
October 13th, 2005 10:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 'This is very present tense'

Robert Plant has a new band, an acclaimed album and a bright future. But it's not enough to banish the ghost of Led Zeppelin, finds Sylvie Simmons

Friday October 14, 2005
The Guardian

In celebratory mood ... Robert Plant

We've arranged to meet on Santa Monica Pier, under the roller- coaster. It's a blazing hot Sunday morning; the air smells of fried food and ozone. Robert Plant - dressed for the occasion in sunglasses, shorts and a Bob Dylan T-shirt - looks remarkably perky for a 56-year-old who last night played one of the most powerful rock shows I've seen this year, with his band Strange Sensation.
He grins. "The energy was unbelievable. You can't do that with a greatest hits band, you can't do that with a tuxedo on. You have to be stirred to do a show like that. But I feel quite fit and strong right now - and it's mostly because I'm happy. If I'm happy everything falls into place. I might even," he adds, "get a tattoo."

Plant is in the right place for it. The pier was his idea - chosen not, as far as I can tell, for its Baywatch associations, but for its relative normalcy compared with the utter weirdness of the rest of celebrity-obsessed LA. After a quick detour via the amusement arcade for a skee-ball contest (Plant won every game and gave his prize tokens to a bemused kid at a nearby machine), we head below deck to a burger and taco stand and sit at a plastic table with an umbrella. It's 45 minutes before any passer-by clocks who he is.

It's an odd business, rock stardom - and rock stardom doesn't come much bigger than being the singer of Led Zeppelin. In the 25 years since the band was laid to rest, Plant has tried all manner of ways of dealing with his past: from outlawing the "Z" word, to writing and recording with Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page (on 1998's Walking Into Clarksdale); from playing in a low-key pub band (Priory of Brion) with an old pre-Zeppelin pal, to making a covers album (2002's Dreamland) with his own band, Strange Sensation, which includes five multi-instrumentalist musicians, all younger than he is.

Now, finally, Plant seems to have got the whole thing figured out. He ignores it. Not the music: Zeppelin songs make up around half the set, although often in markedly different form, reflecting his new bandmates' backgrounds in, among other things, world music and trip hop. But all the other stuff - the fawning assistants, the musical complacency - he wants nothing to do with. The opening number at last night's show was Tin Pan Valley, a new song that takes his rock-star contemporaries to task. "My peers may flirt with cabaret/ Some fake the rebel yell/ I'm moving up to higher ground," he sings. "I must escape their hell."

Taking a swig of iced tea, Plant says: "Isn't that the great trap? You become successful and then you have to emulate your success for the people who've put you there, and it becomes the same-old, same-old. There's so much playing by numbers, so many people who compromise or coast.

"Some of it's an addiction to success: I mean, there's nothing like hearing a crowd roar. But then there's also the problem that no matter what you do, there are people who are still waiting for the return of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. You only have to have a tiny, weeny bit of common sense to see that that's been and gone, the times are different now, and this combination of people is very present tense."

Which was one reason why he failed to join ex-bandmates Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, plus Jason Bonham (son of John, the band's drummer, who died in 1980) at the Grammies when Led Zeppelin won their recent lifetime achievement award. Page, apparently hurt, commented: "It wouldn't have taken much to just pop over, would it?"

But Plant was too busy with his new band. Speaking passionately about their musical prowess, attitude, energy and enthusiasm, he gives them credit for intensifying his own. Their second album, Mighty Rearranger - all new material this time, and hailed as Plant's best since Zeppelin - launched a deluge of activity. When the US tour is finished, there are more UK dates and talk of playing Latin America. He is curating the upcoming Womex festival in Gateshead and looking into recording with country singer Alison Krauss.

Plant recently collaborated with Jeff Beck on a cover of the Buzzcocks' Ever Fallen in Love for a John Peel tribute album. He was friends with Peel in the old days - "I had such a good time with John: very stimulating conversation, great sense of humour, very dry" - until the stratospheric success of Led Zeppelin. "With Peel moving on as well, that meant that when we got back we didn't really see each other any more or have bets on the phone on whether Wolves were going to beat Liverpool. But it was a gas seeing Jeff. I seldom see too many people who have been around as long as me or longer."

Even more recently, Plant worked with Pearl Jam on a benefit concert at the Chicago House of Blues, which raised over $1m for victims of Hurricane Katrina. Clarksdale, he says - the small town immortalised in his 1998 album with Page - "survived and is being used for refugees". He waxes nostalgic about the pilgrimage to the delta that inspired Walking Into Clarksdale, how he would walk round, knocking on doors, trying to track down an old friend of blues legend Robert Johnson. "I've never been so ridiculous in my life," he laughs, mocking his own obsessiveness. "When I was at school I had a paper round to earn money and I bought the Robert Johnson release that came out on Philips, the original first album with the gatefold sleeve with a picture of a sharecropper's shack on the front. When I heard Preaching Blues and Last Fair Deal Gone Down - I was probably a year or two behind Keith (Richards) and Mick (Jagger) - but I went, 'This is it.'"

'My parents cut the plug off the record player - I had a little Dansette. I think it was after they heard I Like It Like That by Chris Kenner 17 times in one hour." His father, an engineer who played in a local brass band, liked music, but "he really didn't get much bluer than Johnny Mathis. I think he found Robert Johnson too dark."

What did he make of the not entirely sunny Led Zeppelin?

"It was a rocky journey, really, with my parents. They just didn't understand it at all. Any of it. In the beginning they thought that it would pass. When I was in Band of Joy with Bonzo (John Bonham, who later joined Plant in Zeppelin), they said, 'You take your choice' - and I didn't go back." They became reconciled to his career a few years later - but, Plant says, "by the time they understood it, I think they only understood because I was successful."

The making of Mighty Rearranger coincided with Plant Sr's death. Between takes, Plant would spend time with his dad, even if half the time the old man "didn't even realise I was there". If the event had any effect on the content of the album, Plant says, it was to add a sense of urgency: "There's no time to waste time."

For a few years he suffered from writer's block, much of it brought on by worrying about doing "anything false". But now, he says, he has loads of ideas. "We've been writing bits and pieces as we go along, but at this point we have to think quite hard whether to stay in the same vein or take it into something very minimal, very beautiful and stark. The more I do that goes left or right of centre, the more I get an audience where there's nobody in the crowd any more shouting for anything other than 'Give it to me.'"

As opposed to shouting out for Stairway to Heaven? It's testament to Plant's newfound musical contentment that, at the name of his least favourite Zeppelin song, he doesn't so much as flinch.

"Well, you know, you do a phone interview on the road and it's, 'How are the guys?' 'They're great, they're in the dressing room behind me.' And they say, 'No, no, the guys' - meaning Zeppelin. After all the work that the guys have put into this and that I've put into this - I mean, if you weren't a music critic and you just walked through that door last night with an open mind and forgot about who I was, you would have to say, 'What the hell is this? It's so compulsive.' It was not a demure show. And the crowd last night was wild.

"So it's not about nostalgia. Even when we play a Zep song, it's not nostalgic because we've opened it up." He cites Black Dog as an example. "Where we put that Hungarian Yiddish bit in the middle, and I went into that kind of rap moment, then into a Mose Allison type of thing, hit the high note, then dipped it and turned it around and took it somewhere else. It's good for some people to go, 'What was all that about?'"

Plant cites Bob Dylan's approach to his old material as an inspiration. "He changes the whole thing. That's what I do, because if I have to mimic something I've already done, it would be untrue to everything." During the gig he praised Scorsese's new Dylan documentary, performing in tribute a mind-boggling version of Girl From the North Country that took in Tinariwen, Erroll Gardner, freak folk, Moroccan religious music and roots Americana.

A young couple passing the fast-food stand stop and look over. The man comes over shyly and asks if he is Robert Plant. Removing his sunglasses to shake his hand, Plant chats amiably, even posing for a picture. If rock stardom corrupts and Zeppelinesque absolute rock stardom corrupts absolutely, Plant appears to have come out remarkably unsoiled.

He smiles. "I'm at home with everything. I mean, look at my life, it's amazing, so how can I downgrade anything? And my life would be not half so generous and broad and charming if I didn't sing.

"I'm having such a good time right now, it would be ridiculous to start philosophising about it. I've got my own place to be and it's a great place, full of action, energy and humour. I think it's a great celebration, this period of my life."

· Mighty Rearranger is out now on Sanctuary.

October 13th, 2005 11:10 PM
jb A true ass-hole...lucky they sold millions more than Stones to fund his lack of a careeer for past 25 yrs...
[Edited by jb]
October 14th, 2005 02:39 AM
corgi37 He is one lame old geezer. And his hair is too long.
October 14th, 2005 04:25 AM
Monkeytonk-man Blimey, what a pair of pricks you two are.

In wat respect did he come across as an asshole, is it because he is affable and down to earth, comfortable with himself, and not trying to recapture old glories?

No, my mistake, it's 'cus his fucking hair is too long.

dudes, get a life and stop slagging off anything that ain't the Stones.
October 14th, 2005 04:25 AM
Monkeytonk-man Blimey, what a pair of pricks you two are.

In wat respect did he come across as an asshole, is it because he is affable and down to earth, comfortable with himself, and not trying to recapture old glories?

No, my mistake, it's 'cus his fucking hair is too long.

dudes, get a life and stop slagging off anything that ain't the Stones.
October 14th, 2005 06:45 AM
Jumacfly No Quarter (1994) is a masterpiece.
October 14th, 2005 06:49 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkeytonk-man wrote:

I don't get the asshole part either.
Very down to earth, while he could have been the exact opposite if he wanted to. He could be touring the world playing Led Zep Greatest Hits and earning much more $$$ than he does now. But instead he choses to do what he likes, play the song he likes, evolve and produce records that actually sound current and not nostalgic. I dig Robert Plant. A lot.
October 14th, 2005 06:53 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I don't get the asshole part either.
Very down to earth, while he could have been the exact opposite if he wanted to. He could be touring the world playing Led Zep Greatest Hits and earning much more $$$ than he does now.

it reminds me something...
October 14th, 2005 07:23 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I never really dug led zeplin

Whats the name of that tune of theirs that P Diddy sampled for Godzilla?
October 14th, 2005 08:06 AM
Factory Girl I think Led Zep was great. I respect Robert Plant for finding his own way, which is not easy to do.

I heard really great things about his last cd, which I must pick up.

FG!
October 14th, 2005 08:12 AM
gimmekeef He is a class act and his new stuff is pretty darn good.Zep remain one of the top 3 of all time imho.....Thanks for sharing the article....
October 14th, 2005 09:56 AM
sammy davis jr. Get a life haters- The world doesn't revolve around the Rolling Fucking Stones. If you don't like his music, fine, but that doesn't make him an asshole. If you walked up to Mick and said "hello", he'd probably look at you like you were a piece of shit- or not even acknowledge you....Plant's also had a better solo career than all the Stones combined solo careers.
October 14th, 2005 09:59 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Well, unfortunately it does ring a bell for me too my dear Ju
October 14th, 2005 10:47 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Chuck!
October 14th, 2005 02:10 PM
Martha Somehow ( I am a retard) I posted this by accident in the Jaxx thread. Sorry!

"Robert Plant - dressed for the occasion in sunglasses, shorts and a Bob Dylan T-shirt ;-)- looks remarkably perky for a 56-year-old who last night played one of the most powerful rock shows I've seen this year, with his band Strange Sensation."

:-) I LOVE Robert's new album Mighty Rearranger and have not been able to see this tour.....which is a bummer. He certainly knows what T-shirt to wear......and I still have a huge crush on him. Cannot help myself. :-)

BTW, Bob's tour opens on the 17th! I know the entourage has left for the UK ( I talked to my sponsor this morning and she let me know Al left Hawaii and is on the way!) so Gazza....get ready!

I also dreamed I was talking to Bob last night..... I miss him!

Party on Wayne!

xxoo,
Martha

Ooooooooo Oooooooo Ooooooooo
Ooooooooo Oooooooo Ooooooooo
Ooooooooo

(repeat)

Lord I MISS You!
October 14th, 2005 02:12 PM
Martha
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I think Led Zep was great. I respect Robert Plant for finding his own way, which is not easy to do.

I heard really great things about his last cd, which I must pick up.

FG!

Hey rock and roll Sister!

It's the best album he's done since Zep disbanded. Go get it!

xxoo,
Martha!
October 14th, 2005 02:27 PM
Factory Girl Martha!!

Check PM!
October 14th, 2005 02:43 PM
Factory Girl Martha, check PM!!

Joey, you're making me say "HUH???"
October 14th, 2005 03:09 PM
Gimme Shelter I never got to see Led Zepp live but I have seen Plant in '90 on a solo tour and also saw Page/Plant on both tours they did. All three shows were superb.
October 14th, 2005 03:28 PM
Joey

" Joey, you're making me say "HUH???"

***** BLANK FRIGGIN STARE *****

October 14th, 2005 03:50 PM
Ihavelotsajam Oh man have I got to jump in...

quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Plant's also had a better solo career than all the Stones combined solo careers.

As if that's really hard to do-- Plant always had about as much to do with Zeppelin's music as *I* did. Of course his solo career path is not gonna be as tricky as the solo Stones- try removing one Stone from the group. Try removing Plant from Zep and you still have 3 extremely talented musicians who wrote the music of Zeppelin-- minus the lyrics about Gandolf and Frodo and those stolen from old bluesmen.
Plant always seemed to me like someone totally undeserving of the Rock God status-- and I think he knows it. He seems to not even know how to play any instruments, he barelly writes music, he always has a hefty backup band to do it for him, and his "singing" has somehow unfairly ingrained itself into the ears of all the lame-ass "classic rock radio listeners" who, thanks to the Plant-influenced screeching, always start a Stones topic off with "Mick Jagger can't sing for shit, but..."

In any case, Tall Cool One and other of his assorted crap make 'Let's Work' seem like a work of art. What an overrated sucker.
October 14th, 2005 05:46 PM
sammy davis jr.
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Oh man have I got to jump in...

As if that's really hard to do-- Plant always had about as much to do with Zeppelin's music as *I* did. Of course his solo career path is not gonna be as tricky as the solo Stones- try removing one Stone from the group. Try removing Plant from Zep and you still have 3 extremely talented musicians who wrote the music of Zeppelin-- minus the lyrics about Gandolf and Frodo and those stolen from old bluesmen.
Plant always seemed to me like someone totally undeserving of the Rock God status-- and I think he knows it. He seems to not even know how to play any instruments, he barelly writes music, he always has a hefty backup band to do it for him, and his "singing" has somehow unfairly ingrained itself into the ears of all the lame-ass "classic rock radio listeners" who, thanks to the Plant-influenced screeching, always start a Stones topic off with "Mick Jagger can't sing for shit, but..."

In any case, Tall Cool One and other of his assorted crap make 'Let's Work' seem like a work of art. What an overrated sucker.

Plant has nothing to do with Zep's success? Are you fucking kidding me? Put Mick in front of Zeppelin and I guarantee you it'll sound like shit. Besides, I never said the guy was brilliant, just he's had a better solo career than any Stone. Besides, the Stones and Mick NEVER ripped off the old bluesmen, did they?
October 15th, 2005 01:16 AM
colditalianpizza With all due respect, Led Zeppelin is a lot better than the Stones. And in the 70's, they sold more records and sold out more concerts.

Robert Plant is probably the best rock and roll singer ever, and I think the only person who you could argue is a better overall singer is Freddie Mercury.

That's not to say the Stones suck. They are both insanely awesome bands, and I listen to the Stones right now more than Zeppelin, but if you don't like Zeppelin you've got problems.
[Edited by colditalianpizza]
[Edited by colditalianpizza]
October 15th, 2005 02:38 AM
Prodigal Son [quote]colditalianpizza wrote:
With all due respect, Led Zeppelin is a lot better than the Stones. And in the 70's, they sold more records and sold out more concerts.

(gasps heard all around) You'll make Joey cry! And everyone else pissed! (including me.... what?)

Hey now, Mick iis no spring chicken. I prefer Steve Mariott to Plant. He did the somewhat squealy, yet souful scream before Plant hit the scene. But he didn't sound like his pants were Xtra small when he sang.

[Edited by Prodigal Son]
October 15th, 2005 03:29 AM
zenarcher Led Zeppelin Roll.
Playing em in my car yeserday in uist ahhhhhh better thans ta stones."hello get with it".
October 15th, 2005 05:24 AM
marko Zep are/were the best live band ever,with stones.Nothing
comes close these 2.
October 15th, 2005 06:51 AM
zenarcher they are the best
October 15th, 2005 04:18 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I never really dug led zeplin

Whats the name of that tune of theirs that P Diddy sampled for Godzilla?

Kashmir. Great song and a fucking great band.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)