ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Richards regrets Return to archive
October 13th, 2005 07:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels RICHARDS' REGRETS

ROLLING STONES guitarist KEITH RICHARDS has two career regrets, he never got to play with OTIS REDDING and WARREN ZEVON.

During four decades of performing with the rock legends, Richards has managed to jam with every other musician he's ever admired - but Redding was killed in a plane crash in 1967 and Zevon died of cancer in 2003.

The 61-year-old says, "I don't regret being in the same band for 40 years.

"I've played with MUDDY WATERS, HUBERT SUMLIN, HOWLIN' WOLF, CHUCK BERRY, SOLOMON BURKE - nearly every cat that's turned me on.

"I regret Otis - I was hoping Mr Redding would be around forever - and I regret never getting hold of Warren Zevon."

13/10/2005 16:58
contactmusic.com

October 13th, 2005 08:33 PM
Gazza never realised Keith was such a big admirer of Warren Zevon (is it just me or is it really unusual for Keith to praise anyone who's a) white and b) younger then himself?)

maybe we should add "c) still alive" to that category!

Warren was fantastic. I wish he was still around.
October 13th, 2005 09:20 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
never realised Keith was such a big admirer of Warren Zevon (is it just me or is it really unusual for Keith to praise anyone who's a) white and b) younger then himself?)

maybe we should add "c) still alive" to that category!

i do recall around 77/78 keith, perhaps in attempt to appear open minded and/or "with it" gave some credit to glen matlock for his songwriting - always struck me as "lip service" to the "new wave" 'tho

but generally you're right gazza - keith has never been very charitable to those who have followed in his foot-steps - in most cases i would say justifiably so - but i recall him dissing prince once which i thought showed an unusual lack of appreciation - maybe prince wasn't quite "black" enough for his tastes
October 13th, 2005 09:31 PM
Gazza he actually described Prince in an interview in "Q" around the time "Talk is Cheap" came out as "a talentless midget".

As the guy plays about 20 instruments and had just released "Sign O' The Times" the year before, I guess that being the 'media favourite' at that particular time stuck in Keith's throat a bit.

Anything for a headline, I suppose. Funny in a twisted sort of way but a bit embarrassing as well!
October 13th, 2005 09:35 PM
KeepRigid I've always regretted (on Keith's behalf) that he did not appear on any of Johnny Cash's later albums. Keith and Ronnie on I See A Darkness would've been nice.
October 13th, 2005 09:45 PM
stonedinaustralia hey keep - heard a story once about keith and johnny (how much truth i do not know) - anyway, keith and johnny were together somewhere and keith asked johnny if he could get a photo of the two of them together

apparently johhny said no!!
October 13th, 2005 10:08 PM
KeepRigid Probably a true story!

Johnny told a story about being at some event, and walking alongside Keith as they both headed for the restroom. Keith glanced over at him and called out, "Someone get a camera, I'm going to the toilet with Johnny Cash!"
October 13th, 2005 10:08 PM
Riffhard Keith has been infamous for slamming other acts for years now. Gazza,I too remember Keith slamming Prince back in 1988. He also,in a Guitar Player interview,put down everyone that the interveiwer had asked him about. To Keith's credit the guy was asking about some very lame acts just to get a response from Keith. It went something like this.........

GP-So Keith let me ask you about some of today's artists(snicker,snicker),and you just tell what you think right off the top of your head,ok?

KR-(burp,snort,headscratch)Ya whatevvvvvarr bloke. Fire away.

GP-Ok let's start with George Micheal. What do say about him?

KR-Hmmm,hmmmm,..........wha tha fuck kinda question is that shite?! George bloody Micheal?! Well,...I think the flamming poofter should get a fucking shave and go the fuck home! How's that grab ya?!

GP-(hearty laughter) Yeah I thought so too Keith. How about hmmm,huh,...Miami SoundMachine?

KR-Oh for fuck's sake man...(cough,cough,snort)...Gawd awful shit if there ever was! I will say this about them though. For a goddamned Rammada Inn house band they have managed to get airplay. Pure hotel lounge band shite! Next fucking victim mate?!

GP-Ok let's talk about some of your contemporaries. Sound good Keith?

KR-Yeah fine....where's my fucking bottle? Where the hell is the ice?! Contemporaries? Ya mean like peers here?

GP-Yeah Keith just like peers. Is that ok with you?

KR-Hey man I got nothing but love for my peers. Who the fuck do ya wanna know about?!

GP-Well why not start with your songwriting partner in crime and Glimmer Twin brother Mick Jagger?

KR-Poncy motherfucker! The cat says he's gonna go solo! I'll slit his feckin' throat! He only leaves this fucking band in a wooden box,and I'm the one that's gonna put him in it!!.......If this bottle was even half empty I'd slam it over your bloody head! Mick fucking Jagger!?! This interview is over!(cough,cough,headscratch,stumble,stumble,trip,belch)

At least that's the way I remember it.

Riffy
October 13th, 2005 11:27 PM
Prodigal Son Had the great Otis Redding lived, he'd have covered some Stones songs too and no doubt guested on one of their albums. The guy was a very talented, and underrated, songwriter and had a soulful, gritty, raspy voice (it wasn't technically among the best but he did it with such feeling). I think Otis would've sounded good covering (1967-97 to be less recent) a lot of stuff (I just placr his voice and styles in these songs and it sounds alreet to me), namely:
Street Fighting Man
Stray Cat Blues
YCAGWYW
Honky Tonk Woman
Gimme Shelter
Monkey Man
Jiving Sister Fanny
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
I Got the Blues (dead ringer for Otis ballad)
Rip This Joint
Tumbling Dice
Loving Cup
Happy
Shine a Light
All Down the Line
Let it Loose
Rocks off
Angie
Heartbreaker
If You Really Want to Be My Friend
Fingerprint File
Crazy Mama
Melody
Hey Negrita
Miss You
Respectable (if not for the fact it's so closely related to "Respect")
Beast of Burden
Summer Romance
She's So Cold
Tops
Little T&A
Waiting on a Friend
Neighbours
She Was Hot
(don't have Dirty Work so it's tough to say)
Sad Sad Sad
Hold on to Your Hat
You Got Me Rocking
Saint of Me

Anyone have other songs, agreements, disagreements?

October 13th, 2005 11:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Keith Richards, the Proud Englishman
Category: SOFTPEDIA NEWS :: Entertainment

Keith Richards loves the way English people handle steamy situations. The Rolling Stones guitarist, who has lived in Connecticut, on the US east coast, is proud to be an Englishman.

"In times of strife Englishness really comes in handy”, Richards said.

"Wherever you are, when things are a bit miserable. When the weather's lousy and you're freezing your balls off, you do get English about it, and it's a warm feeling: 'All right, boys, steady the buffs,' you know.
I'm glad I'm English", the famous rocker added.

Richards, who has finally agreed to play Johnny Depp’s dad in The Pirates of The Caribbean, has two career regrets: he never got to play with OTIS REDDING and WARREN ZEVON.

"I don't regret being in the same band for 40 years", the 61-year-old guitarist said.

"I've played with MUDDY WATERS, HUBERT SUMLIN, HOWLIN' WOLF, CHUCK BERRY, SOLOMON BURKE - nearly every cat that's turned me on.
I regret Otis - I was hoping Mr Redding would be around forever - and I regret never getting hold of Warren Zevon", he confessed.

Redding was killed in a plane crash in 1967 and Zevon died of cancer in 2003.
October 14th, 2005 12:14 AM
Lord Homosex I did read an extensive interview with Keith once wher he heaped much praise on Bono and U2. He said something like "Bono is very good. He knows how all the parts fit together." Then added something about them probabaly being together for a long time. And this was a long time ago.
He also said how he had much respect for Sting but hated the song they were playing him ("Wrapped around your finger"). Made them take it off because he dug Sting usually.
He said good things about Prince, but sort of reprimanded him for acting out in front oif a Stonescrowd.
Then don't forget after SARS in Toronto he said good things about JT. He was actually the ONLY dude who defended JT.
Then he raves about AC/DC, Robert Cray, Sexton, Gossard.
October 14th, 2005 10:01 AM
gimmekeef As far as Zevon is concerned there were some Toronto rumours of Keith taking in a Warren Zevon cd to the rehearsals. I really think Werewolves of London would be an awsome ride to the B stage song instead of the tired Miss You!....
October 14th, 2005 11:08 AM
Jumacfly bashing Prince sounds like jealousy for me.
"The Vault" is a fantastic project.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)