ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The New Thread Showing Off Your Exquisite Listening Tastes Pt. XI Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
September 14th, 2005 09:10 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
2000 Man wrote:

How is the Deadly Snakes? The guy at the record store says I'd like them. He was right with The Hold Steady and we both like a lot of the same other stuff. Is it good stuff?

The Deadly Snakes are fucking awesome. If I were to cast about and declare any youngish group "them whats gots it" at the moment it would be the Deadly Snakes. The Stones and Dylan are their primary touchstones, but punk, Nick Cave, psychedelic music, Nuggets, and gospel get thrown into the sound as well. They are from Canada and genuinely recall a kind of garagey version of the Band, with their ambitious arrangements, often archaic language and multiple singers and songwriters.

Their new album, Porcella, is their fourth (comes out next week on In the Red. How any band is supposed to compete with a new Stones album and all this Dylan broohaha is beyond me). They released their first album on Sympathy for the Record Industry right around the same time the White Stripes released their first album on Sympathy (maybe the same week?). For a while, Greg Cartwright from the Reining Sound was in the band (he produced their first record, played on their second and contributed a couple of songs).

Their first record is an extremely raw-ly recorded guit/bass/drum/organ + horns assault with lotsa good toons - more ambitious than your average party-garage record, and all sung by Andre Ethier, their gravelly voiced "front man". I loved it from the start but its Stonesyness put off a lot of "garage" fans and its rawness put off a lot of Stones fans.

The second album is a "difficult transitional album" and lacks focus although it sports cleaner production and some great songs. Cartwright and Max "Age of" Danger have a couple songs each, but most are still Ethier's.

Their third record, Ode to Joy, is where Danger really steps into the role of secondary vocalist and songwriter, and the band gains an awesome balance. This is still kind of a party record, but it takes on extremely dark and sinister overtones, giving it that "party at the end of time" vibe that recalls cool records like, I dunno, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers in spirit if not in virtuosity. This is where I would start. Well recorded, sporting a ton of great songs, brooding, menacing and rocking, this is easily one of my fave albums of the 21st Century.

Ethier recorded a swell Dylanesque solo album with a couple of guys named Pickles and Price that was released last year, I think, and Danger appeared in that new George Romero flick.

Meanwhile, they retreated to a cabin in Canada to record Porcella, which sounds like Exile meets Forever Changes or something. It's crazy back porch baroque rock and roll with pennywhistles and toy pianos and strings, all used in service of song rather than faux experimentally, and without sacrificing important shit like guitar, drums and yelling. I didn't quite know what to make of it at first, but it has grown on me big time, and continues to get heavy alternating play w/Bigger Bang.

Right now I'm listening to Fats Waller.

September 14th, 2005 09:12 AM
Nellcote Rodney Crowell-The Outsider
22-20's
September 14th, 2005 11:23 AM
Stones Fan, Gar A Bigger Bang, Mike Ness - Cheating At Solitaire,and Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash (A killer Under My Thumb cover)
September 14th, 2005 07:22 PM
Soldatti Eric Clapton-Back Home
Stones - ABB
September 15th, 2005 02:18 AM
Starbuck right now i am currently spinning:

oh....and this one too....

[Edited by Starbuck]
September 15th, 2005 09:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Time Has Come - The Chambers Brothers

Old record but fuckin' awesome. I only heard the entire record yesterday for the first time....30 years + late but really, really good. Trust me.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 15th, 2005 07:26 PM
Soldatti Macca's last album.
September 15th, 2005 07:29 PM
Dan I used to listen to my Dad's Chambers Brothers record! I love that song Time Has Come Today! Ramones did it on Subterranean Jungle and played it live in 1983-1984.
September 16th, 2005 08:33 AM
Jair Rolling Stones, ABB
New Macca
Bebel Gilberto

September 16th, 2005 10:40 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The Time Has Come - The Chambers Brothers

Old record but fuckin' awesome. I only heard the entire record yesterday for the first time....30 years + late but really, really good. Trust me.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

All Strung Out kicks ASS.

Currently: Conway Twitty
September 16th, 2005 07:37 PM
Soldatti Howl - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
September 19th, 2005 09:45 PM
time is on my side Hendrix-

Band Of Gypsys- Live at the Fillmore East
Are You Experienced???
Stages- San Diego 69, Atlanta 70
Box Set (disc three)

STONES-

A Bigger Bang
Jersey Devils
Brussels Affair Definitive Edition

September 19th, 2005 10:05 PM
Soldatti The Bootleg Series Vol. 7 - Bob Dylan
September 20th, 2005 03:47 AM
Surround Sister Hurriganes. Various.
Ekseption. Beethover 5th, Bach Air.
Deep Purple. "Knocking At YOur Back Door" (from the
excellent Perfect Strangers)
Brel. Various.
Cornelis Vreeswijk "Blues för Jacques Brel".
George Harrison (Something & What Is Life).
Lee Hazelwood. 1970.
Cash with Nick Cave.
Kris Kristofferson.Various.
Simon & Garfunkel (!) "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M."
Electric Prumnes. Kyrie Eleison/Mardi Gras; Smokestack
Lightning & )I had) Too Much To Dream Last Night
Stones videoclips, mainly 60´s-70´s.
September 22nd, 2005 10:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Today...

AC/DC
Kinks
September 22nd, 2005 01:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Hendrix-

Band Of Gypsys- Live at the Fillmore East
Are You Experienced???
Stages- San Diego 69, Atlanta 70
Box Set (disc three)

STONES-

A Bigger Bang
Jersey Devils
Brussels Affair Definitive Edition

Great selections

Currently The Jimi Hendrix sessions with Stephen Still and Nicky Hopkins

Jethro Tull - This Was
September 22nd, 2005 07:16 PM
Soldatti I'm addicted to ABB this week.
September 22nd, 2005 07:22 PM
Dan Mostly A Bigger Bang, also a bit of Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds and Mr Bungle
September 26th, 2005 01:56 PM
The Volitan Been Listening to

GnR Lies
Cream- Goodbye
BluesBreakers
September 26th, 2005 02:12 PM
stewed & Keefed ABB only this week.
September 26th, 2005 03:55 PM
egon foo fighters - in your honor

and bang of course, always bang.
September 26th, 2005 07:55 PM
Soldatti AC/DC - High Voltage
September 26th, 2005 08:00 PM
Lil Brian Led Zepplin "How the West Was Won" (Live)
September 28th, 2005 02:43 AM
beer tonight!

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Definitive collection

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

The Sway live mp3 - love it!

Bad Religion - Suffer

-

September 28th, 2005 04:15 AM
egon lsitened to frans ferdinant(?) in the car today.

Quite annoying.

September 28th, 2005 04:21 AM
Voodoo Scrounge This week I have been listening to Duran Duran's Ordinary world ablum. Strange but suprisingly good
September 28th, 2005 08:01 PM
Soldatti Stones - Chicago, Sep 10 2005
September 29th, 2005 04:55 PM
scratched Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels - Live 1973
The Faces - Good Boys When They're Asleep
September 29th, 2005 07:25 PM
Soldatti Love You Live
September 29th, 2005 11:25 PM
Bloozehound nothing but boots, boots and more boots

lott'o gatemouth brown bootage has been scootaged out on the dime recently, good stuff, got some new Stones bootage too

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)