ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Cardinal Fang!! winner of the Trivia
Thanks so much Fernando Aceves

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones on mend Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10-09-03 04:30 PM
LadyJane Didn't Rod Stewart have a cancerous polyp removed? He's still singing.

We must wait until we hear FACTS and then have faith that all will be well.

LadyJ.
10-09-03 04:31 PM
jb This is terrible news ....but we all knew it was going to happen.
10-09-03 04:32 PM
nankerphelge Not sure about Rod but Julie did -- although the following looks promising -- and as you say LJ, depends on a lot of things we don't know:

Phonomicrosurgery Shows Significant Success in Removal Vocal Fold Lesions

Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary researchers join with Julie Andrews to inform vocal artists that surgery can sustain a singing career.

Boca Raton, FL -- A lifetime of singing on a regular basis, particularly in those who participate in such endeavors as concert tours or Broadway-type musicals, can ultimately take a toll on the voice. No one knows this better than film, television, stage and recording artist legend, Julie Andrews. With repeated stress, a variety of problems can result, such as a polyp, nodule, or scar.

These nodules or polyps may be so slight that vocal fold vibration and closure are only minimally impaired. The singer perceives some roughness in certain areas of the vocal range but does not usually suspect a substantial mechanical problem. Professional vocal artists often have neuromuscular vocal training allowing them to compensate for minimal vocal fold disorders, but this does not necessarily correct the underlying problem and may actually aggravate it. Therefore, if the singer perceives that their performance is gradually declining or requiring greater effort, it is prudent to undergo a laryngeal (voice box) examination. This will allow for a clear diagnosis so that the appropriate intervention(s) are done. This may be as simple as vocal rest, and possibly medications and/or surgery.

The current state-of-the-art procedure, performed by the otolaryngologist in their office to diagnose these lesions, uses a stroboscope. It is comprised of a synchronized, flashing light passed through a flexible or rigid endoscope to visualize vocal fold vibration, which provides valuable information for determining which singers would benefit from resection of potential lesions. However, even with this advanced technology, a surgical procedure demands that both the patient and surgeon mutually assess whether the lesion[s] is of greater liability to the voice and career, than the operation to excise the lesion[s].

Julie Andrews, the Broadway star of �The Boy Friend,� �My Fair lady,� �Camelot� and �Victor/Victoria�, as well as movie classics �Mary Poppins� and �Sound of Music,� is now actively participating and cooperating with otolaryngologists and voice experts from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in their advancement of voice surgery. The Academy Award, Emmy, Tony and Grammy nominated/winning star, who suffered the loss of her singing voice as a result of a surgical procedure in 1997, said �The loss of my special gift has been a difficult chapter in my life. I applaud the dedicated and tireless efforts of Dr. Steven Zeitels (Associate Professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Division of Laryngology at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary), his medical colleagues, and Robert E. Hillman, PhD, who leads their scientific team. They are dedicated to improving surgical and medical interventions designed to correct underlying problems affecting or potentially affecting vocal abilities.� Dr. Zeitels indicated that, �Our group has been working diligently to advance the art and science of restoring and maintaining the human voice. We have developed an emphasis on surgical restoration and believe that advancements in minimally-invasive techniques are providing innovative pathways for many patients suffering from a variety of voice disorders. By managing voice function and dysfunction in singers (vocal athletes), we are designing new methods to treat many other patients with a spectrum of benign and malignant lesions.�

10-09-03 04:32 PM
sirmoonie My condolensces go out to his family and friends.
10-09-03 04:40 PM
jb Do you think Arafat will fill in?
10-09-03 04:44 PM
LadyJane jb....you know I love ya...but THIS IS NO JOKING MATTER!!!

LadyJ.

PS. Have a great birthday!!!
10-09-03 04:49 PM
Riffhard Well as far as I can see nobody has stated for a fact that there is anything at all wrong with Mick. This is exactly what I was talking about. To this point it's all speculation based on some whispers that nobody seems willing to confirm or deny. It is leading to rampant rumours. For all we know Chaz has got hemmoroids. I mean afterall he does do a lot of sitting during the tour. So why not?

It was Keno that said that there are five items of bad news involving the Stones camp. Where are we now? People are diagnosing a problem that we don't even know exists. So what do these "knowers of all Stones ills" really know? My guess is they don't know shit. If your not willing to share what you know then why don't you just shut the fuck up about it?!

If you do know something then out with it!!

It's harder to get this information than it is to discover who the White House leaker is! JEEESHH!

Riffhard
10-09-03 04:53 PM
Moonisup well, the rumours are there, but it's the first time somebody had the guts to post it
10-09-03 04:55 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
OK guys enough! What do you know?

Nobody knows anything about this.

Thats why it hasn't already been said on the internet, even on these 4 boards.
10-09-03 04:57 PM
Gazza >Gerardo? Gazza? Jaxx? Anyone? What's the word?

probably what I heard a few weeks ago but as its not "official" I was asked not to plaster it all over the internet so I won't until its verified. All I'll say is my understanding is that 1) yes, a band member needs surgery but 2) its not career or life threatening.
10-09-03 04:59 PM
sirmoonie Keith has a double hernia.

There. Now you all know the score and my source.

Happy?

I just outed busted the best source since "deepthroat."
10-09-03 05:02 PM
steel driving hammer Charlie needs a new nostril?

Single Ronnie.
10-09-03 05:02 PM
Joey I just outed busted the best source since "deepthroat."

Deep Throat was either Alexander Haig or L. Patrick Gray ( then acting FBI Director ) .

But NOT Pat Buchanan !!!!

Word to Your Mothers .

Jercee !
10-09-03 05:03 PM
Riffhard I personaly don't think it takes any guts to go on a Stones message board and post that it might be this,or it might be that. I mean no offense Rik,but what information really exist and who knows it? No one seems to want to come right out and say -"Mick has been diagnosed with ....." or that "Woody has been put on a waiting list for a new liver." If someone knows the truth it seems to me that the right and proper thing to do would be to end all the rumours once and for all.

Until that time I think it's a bunch of shite. Furthermore, I feel that people that post these little dark hints are doing noone,including the Stones themselves,any good at all. In fact they are only making things worse by starting false rumours.

It seems to me that these folks are playing games. Mainly the "I'm in the loop and your not" game! Whatever floats your fucking boat I guess.

Riffhard
10-09-03 05:06 PM
sirmoonie Its a bad hernia, don't get me wrong. Double banger. Patti is going w/o for awhile.

Rumor has it, they need one of those pneumatic hydo-catheters to cinch the flaps back to his balls. Those big things that look like caulk guns. Then, to get the staples out, they have to go in through the thoracic artery and unhook them that way.

Its a mess, pray it doesn't happen to you.
10-09-03 05:08 PM
Joey " Patti is going w/o for awhile "

Come to Joey ....................

10-09-03 05:11 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Well, we will just see.
10-09-03 05:13 PM
Moonisup yeah I understand you Riff,

but it's the 1st time it's on the boards now, so if I would hear it for the first time, I would be surprised also, I don't know to much about, just the rumour,

rik
10-09-03 05:14 PM
Gazza >Until that time I think it's a bunch of shite. Furthermore, I feel that people that post these little dark hints are doing noone,including the Stones themselves,any good at all. In fact they are only making things worse by starting false rumours.

neither is the rest of us speculating. Its also not necessarily a question of someone acting like they know something others arent privy to and deciding NOT to post it. I didnt post specifics of what I'd heard because its rumours and I cant confirm it and whilst its harmless to post rumours and speculation about whats going to be on a DVD, when the next album's going to be out etc, someone's private life and their health is another matter entirely. It's simple discretion and courtesy IMO
10-09-03 05:16 PM
somegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Gerardo? Gazza? Jaxx? Anyone? What's the word?

probably what I heard a few weeks ago but as its not "official" I was asked not to plaster it all over the internet so I won't until its verified. All I'll say is my understanding is that 1) yes, a band member needs surgery but 2) its not career or life threatening.

Thanks for this comment!!!!!
Moonisup yes gazza, it's clear that some of us, including Josh knew that something was happening and decided not to post it, but well the bomb had dropped.....
sirmoonie
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Lets hope it's not a cock.

We've eliminated that. Pay some goddam attention will ya!
10-09-03 05:17 PM
nankerphelge I had a double hernia when I was 7.

I ate a whole bunch of cheese fries and got some wicked ass gas. Tried to let it go quietly on one of those hard wooden chairs they give you in elementary school and, well, damn near blew my balls clear off!!!

Back then it was pretty serious surgery -- had to repack all my guts back in and they didn't use staples -- stitched me up!!

Never did find my right ball.
I think Tommy Williams found it, but I could never prove it....
[Edited by nankerphelge]
10-09-03 05:17 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:

neither is the rest of us speculating.

I agree. I heard some rumours, but there is no use posting it.
10-09-03 05:19 PM
steel driving hammer If you mend it, you could easily bend it...

What Reggae song?
10-09-03 05:23 PM
steel driving hammer Whatever it is, The Sun Paper would of already posted it.
10-09-03 05:40 PM
Joey " Never did find my right ball. "

See J. Kruk ( back working for the Phillies )
10-09-03 05:50 PM
Gazza >Whatever it is, The Sun Paper would of already posted it.

Theres a significant difference. The tabloid press dont give a flying fuck about people's lives or feelings so long as their front page "scoop" gets them a few more thousand copies sold. A day later they move on to some other poor bastard without a care in the world about whoever's lives they've .

I'd hazard a guess that most people here wouldnt like their private health matters being the subject of speculation, especially when a) its unconfirmed and b) theyve chosen NOT to tell everyone themselves. The Stones are human beings as well.

just because,as Mother Baby points out, it IS a sick,celebrity obsessed society doesnt mean the rest of us have to swim about in the same sewer as those who choose to make a living like that.
10-09-03 06:40 PM
Martha As much as I want to know what is happening with whichever Stone is in need of any medical intervention I do respect very much that things need to be kept quiet until the info is "officially" released. I can wait for that, I just may chew a few extra fingernails over it..but that is my way of waiting anxiously. LOL

And I do thank you Gazza for mentioning that it is not a life threatening situation.

I agree, it is important to respect people's private lives and to keep the rumors from getting completely out of hand. Rocks Off can serve as an example of good manners.......I'm all for that!

And I understand Riffie's wanting to know as it sounds like several people on the board already know something..but we'll all know soon enough it sounds like.

When we are supposed to know we will be told. I am just so glad it isn't life threatening!

Until then.....let the music play!
10-09-03 07:03 PM
full moon It is not true. Sorry to burst your bubbles.......Some of you seem to take a deviant perversion with the notion. See a shrink......
Page: 1 2 3 4