ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Cardinal Fang!! winner of the Trivia
Thanks so much Fernando Aceves

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A retirement party I'd like to attend Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
10-08-03 09:06 PM
Stonesthrow SS-- I get your gist re print media being a joke. However, there are still print sources whose stories are widely quoted in electronic media as well. Stories reported in the NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and even USA Today as well as other papers in and out of America are the quoted sources for many stories appearing on radio and TV. Well known and powerful newspapers still maintain a great deal of influence with their editorial policies. If radio and TV stations were as unabashedly one-sided about politics as many of the newspapers, there would be a firestorm of protest in this country.

I worked at a TV station for about 20 years, and I do agree with you that the quality of news reporting has eroded badly over time. My biggest gripe is the choice of stories. TV always favors stories with visuals while striving desperately to avoid "talking heads". That is true even if the talking head story will have a greater impact on the public than the visual fluff piece. They will even take a story that has no visual content and put a reporter on the spot after the fact to try to give the visual false immediacy. I don't even want to get into story content during sweeps periods in November, February, May, and August.

Whether you believe the the media to be liberal or conservative politically, TV news in its own way has helped to shorten the attention span of the public with its quick cuts, 30 second sound bites, and graphics overloads so that people will not sit still for lengthy analytical discussions of important topics. That is the saddest part of all. At least we still have the News Hour With Jim Lehrer.

10-08-03 10:02 PM
mac_daddy what's to stop some rich, democrat blow-hard from financing a recall of Arnold?

You'd think Babs and Meathead would jump at the chance to fund that sh*t. Their entire Hollywood/tree-hugging set must be f*cking seething right now...

Just wait until Dennis Miller announces his candidacy to unseat Barbara Boxer. That guy is a dillhole, too. What the hell happened to him? He used to make sense, and was funny as hell ripping the conservatives. Nowadays he couldn't grab his ankles fast enough for those guys...

10-09-03 12:12 AM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Hey Nank...we are C-10. As far as I'm concerned, the only party the C-10 is affiliated with is the The Rock n Roll Party. Drink, Eat, Smoke, Rock, Live(Not necessarily in that order!).

THAT is what is REALLY important.

(No Pie? I'm just....speechless!)

10-09-03 08:45 AM
nankerphelge Pie would fall under the Eat category!

Depending on availability of lube -- possibly the Smoke category as well!

10-09-03 10:32 AM
telecaster I can't wait for all this policital stuff to go away so we can get back to what is really important in this country.

24 hour coverage of the Kobe Bryant and Scott Peterson trials
10-09-03 10:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot Actually Nanky...Pie falls under ALL of those categories!
10-09-03 11:40 PM
sirmoonie Hey Joey, did you see who big boss lady is cuddling up to?

"Shades of Eva Braun, Ronnie!"
10-10-03 12:12 AM
parmeda I think all of the C10 should have, and sport...PIE pins, lol.

...you know, make people ask ya, "What's THAT for?"
rotflmao...
10-10-03 12:35 AM
gypsy Yes, parmy. And we could make t-shirts that read: I HAD MY PIE ROCKED BY ______ <-----[Insert your favorite C-10 member name here].
10-10-03 12:45 AM
parmeda LMAO!

(psst.....Who would YOU pick, gypsy?)
10-10-03 12:52 AM
gypsy Hmmm...I need to see their pictures again...preferably with their tongues sticking out. Joey brags too much, so he's out. And that Maxy/dog avatar was such a turn-off. Sirmoonie is really smart...but so is nanky. I think I'd have to hold a pie-eating contest to decide!
10-10-03 10:23 AM
telecaster
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Hmmm...I need to see their pictures again...preferably with their tongues sticking out. Joey brags too much, so he's out. And that Maxy/dog avatar was such a turn-off. Sirmoonie is really smart...but so is nanky. I think I'd have to hold a pie-eating contest to decide!

Why are you discriminating against non-C10 RO members?

After all, it was 10 guys in a hotel room for a weekend

Not that there is anything wrong with it

10-10-03 10:24 AM
parmeda Okay, okay Tele...
Send us a picture of your tongue.

We'll put it UNDER consideration
10-10-03 01:53 PM
gypsy parmy's right...let's not discriminate here. Send a photo of your tongue ASAP.

Well, it wasn't just the ten of them in one hotel room...I believe they also had a sheep and a Paul Williams blow-up doll.
10-10-03 07:20 PM
glencar Man, Ahnuld won with more votes than G Davis got in the last election. Even McClintock scored over a million. Congrats, Callyfornya!
10-10-03 11:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy...Pammy...

You can't really have any doubts, can you?

Remember my "B" move? Wait till you swing on one of my "A" moves....

Heh heh heh....

SS, C-muthafuckin'-10
10-11-03 10:22 AM
parmeda There's never a doubt, when it comes to YOU guys, lol...
We just try to keep you on your toes and in check

And for the record, SS...who's T-Shirt would YOU like to be on?
10-11-03 01:16 PM
gypsy He'd probably like to be on ALL of them. He is quite competitive, y'know.
10-11-03 02:40 PM
nankerphelge Just as long as he's not on Steelie's!
10-11-03 11:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh hell, why would I care if I was on SDH's shirt....

Everyone would know that I was just a figment of his imagination.

And ladies...I would never be so gouche as to proclaim my "score" on a t-shirt.

No no.

I am way to cool and classy for that.

I'd simply have your initials tatooed on my scrotum. And Gypsy is right...there's plenty of room on my scrotum for lots of initials.

Heh heh heh.
10-11-03 11:31 PM
gypsy Hi, SS!

When I think "classy," I think "SS."
Page: 1 2 3 4 5