ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Cardinal Fang!! winner of the Trivia
Thanks so much Fernando Aceves

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A retirement party I'd like to attend Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
10-03-03 10:51 AM
nankerphelge OTTAWA (Reuters) - Now Canada can understand why Prime Minister Jean Chretien seems to be in such a hurry to push through a law decriminalizing marijuana.

Chretien, 69, said in an interview published on Friday that he might give pot a try once it is no longer a criminal offense -- presumably after he retires in February. Under the new law, pot users would only pay a fine if caught with small amounts.

"I don't know what is marijuana. Perhaps I will try it when it will no longer be criminal. I will have my money for my fine and a joint in the other hand," he said in an interview with the Winnipeg Free Press.

Over the objections of the U.S. administration, Chretien's government has introduced a bill which would end criminal penalties for possession of 15 grams (half an ounce, or 15 to 30 joints) of marijuana. It would remain illegal, however, but only tickets would be handed out.

Some members of Chretien's Liberal Party oppose the bill, however, and it was uncertain whether it would pass in time for his retirement.

10-03-03 11:00 AM
Mother baby Once legalized to smoke...then legal to grow. Clothing made of hemp instead of cotton lasts almost forever. Which is one reason it will probably never be legalized.
10-03-03 11:00 AM
Joey

Excellent Howard Carter like Find Nanky !

Where the nights ............are bright ................and joy is complete , keep me dope on Green Flower Street !!!!

Jacky Chang !
10-03-03 01:12 PM
catwoman I hope they legalize it in my country. Since it's not legal, whoever buys it here, enriches the coffers of Hizbullah terrorists in Lebanon, which where this shit comes from. Most of my friends get it mailed from Canada or the US. Besides the Green Leaf party is probably the party I will vote for next time there are national elections. Everyone else sucks.
10-03-03 01:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Lazy Bones....any houses for sale up your way?
10-03-03 01:26 PM
sirmoonie I wish I was high right now. Get rid of the nauseau induced by the fact that a fucking Nazi is about to get elected Governor of California.

I don't even think Germany elects Nazis anymore. In my face. I'm sorry for everything I said about Germany.

Anyone out there have family that died during WWII? I do. I feel sick. Should I just get over it? Pass the bong, Joey!

This country is going down the tubes. We are willing to selectively accept, believe, ignore, rationalize, and/or apologize for ANY manner of behavior if it conforms to our strong beliefs in consistent and studied ignorance.
10-03-03 01:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot You know, it is truely amazing how UN-American the Republican party is.

George Bush Jr didn't get as many votes as AL Gore...yet he's still President. Now the Republicans find a loophole in the California state constitution and literally BUY the Govenor's chair...for a movie actor who is famous for being a barbarian.

The new Republican motto...."Vote counts mean nothing, unless, of course, it favors us."
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
10-03-03 01:57 PM
LadyJane You know....I could easily live in Ft. Erie...still keep my job....still be close to my family....but live in the land of legalized chiba!!!

Surfing for real estate as we speak!!

LadyJ.
10-03-03 01:58 PM
nankerphelge Loophole?

You're crazy. The California constituition expressly permits recall votes -- it isn't a loophole by any stretch of the imagination -- it was specifically and intentionally placed in their constitution and ratified.

If they want to have it that way, let them have it.

And there are how many candidates? People can choose whoever they want.

Get serious pal!
10-03-03 02:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Nanky, it was such a well known little part of their constitution. Everyone knew about it. It was ratified in what, 1927 or something like that? And it's been used so often...like, oh yeah, this one time.

It is a fucking joke is what it is Nank. Put in place to fight political machines like the ones that ran Chicago and New York City....and now a political machine called the Republican Party found a way to use it against the very purpose that it was created to prevent.

You don't seriously think making Arnold the Guv is a good idea do you? I mean, that is so fucking retarded that I almost can't believe it will be allowed to happen! I keep thinking that some sane, rational person will get on TV and say..."Sorry CA, but we just can't let you put this retarded musclehead into an office as important as the Govenors office. I know, I know, it sounds like a really good idea when you are all stoned and drunk....but if you people could get sober for a minute and think about this...."

Didn't we learn our lesson from the Reagan fiasco?!?

I'm serious Lazy Bones...are there any houses for sale up there...are they hiring Emergency Services up there? Nahhhhh, too cold. Jamaica is more my style. I gotta see if there are any Jamaican real estate agents on the web. I can always get a job at one of those resorts down there. After all, I did work in the travel & tourism industry for a pile of years.

Yah mon! Jamaica sound good to me.
10-03-03 02:25 PM
Mother baby It really doesn't matter who's in. The politicans will keep bottowing more money and taxing to death. But sooner or later the well runs dry. Your children and grandchildren will be paying the bill. I say default now and get it over with.
10-03-03 02:25 PM
Joey

You know ........... Seriously , I have been a registered Liberal Democrat ALL of my life ....................... but if I were living out in California , I WOULD DEFINITELY vote for Arnold .

Why ?!?!?!?!

Because this great country of ours was built on the four pillars of Society : Money , Sex , Drugs and Weightlifting !!!!!

GO ARNOLD !!!!!!!!!!

" Grab and take as much as you can Ronnie why it is STILL there "

JACKY !
10-03-03 02:28 PM
sirmoonie Any word from the California underground yet? Who will lead them?

Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this time of occupation.
10-03-03 02:29 PM
nankerphelge Actually it was 1911.

And I can't tell you why it was ratified or in what political climate it was ratified. But it was ratified -- they opted to allow for a recall (which incidently, many other states have not for pragmatic reasons) and now that a recall has been initiated, everyone is jumping all over the Republicans for using it. This is just more of the "the right is buying their way in" bullshit that has permeated the media since the 2000 election.

Arnold didn't initiate the recall and I sure don't blame him for jumping on the bandwagon. Say what you want about him, he is the ultimate self-made man. The Republicans didn't make him imigrate from Austria, or make him pump iron and become a celebrity, or make him a Hollywood star when he couldn't speak a lick of English!! That was all him!

This man was successful based on his own hard work -- and he embraced the Republican party because it also values free opportunity. I give him alot of credit and wish him well as guv!!

10-03-03 02:31 PM
Joey " Any word from the California underground yet? Who will lead them?

Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this time of occupation.
"

Actually , most Americans are more concerned about whether or not the Stones will tour the states again NEXT year than with this Recall B.S. out on California .

Word to Your Gramdma !

JACKY BOY !

10-03-03 03:24 PM
sirmoonie See, thats what Nazis do. They divide.

Maybe I'm over reacting. I'm sure Arnold has a Master Plan for California; a Final Solution for all California's ills.

"Putsch me uber, Ronnie!
10-03-03 03:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Right 1911.

1911 has a whole hell of a lot to do with 2003, doesn't it? It's not underhanded or circumventive to use this clause...it's been there since 1911 after all, and it's been used so often. I'm sure that everyone knew about it. I wonder how many of those lawmakers that enacted that particular amendment ever envisioned it being used to put Mr Universe into office. Who cares if they aren't using the clause in the manner in which it was intended...it's all perfectly legal! It may be immoral, but it is damn sure legal!

Or is it just that today's modern Republican Party just doesn't care about what is fair and just, so long as they get the power. Nah, couldn't be that.

You are right about one thing, I can't blame Arnold for jumping on this chance either. I mean, did you see T3? YIKES!

And of course I would expect nothing less from a true Republican like you either. Spin it till it fits your dogma. Who cares if it makes sense or not. Funny though, the only candidate that the Repubs could find that had any hope of actually winning is Conan the Barbarian. I'm just thankful that the guy can never run for President. Or do you think the Repubs can find a way around that too?
10-03-03 03:38 PM
Joey " I'm just thankful that the guy can never run for President. Or do you think the Repubs can find a way around that too? "

Why not ?

Stoney , you rooting for the Cubs this weekend ????

This is OUR year brother ...............Bet the Ranch !!!!

....and if the Cubs win the World Series ?!?!?!?!

************* PIERCED HOODS FOR EVERYONE !!!!! ***********

( tremendous cheer from the audience + deafening applause + standing ovation + tears in everyone's eyes )

10-03-03 03:45 PM
LadyJane This is EXACTLY why RO is the greatest Board.

A thread about Canada's PM smoking his first joint turns into a political debate/history lesson about the California recall debacle.

I love this place.

Who needs the McLaughlin Group?

LadyJ.

PS. Pardon my spelling error!
[Edited by LadyJane]
10-03-03 03:54 PM
sirmoonie Nanky just sent around a firm-wide e-mail: "Anyone have any recent research/work product re: California's 1911 recall laws? Client needs advice quickly. Thanks in advance. Nanky."
10-03-03 04:54 PM
Riffhard Thanks for the smile nanky! I seem to recall that Azqb~,yourself,and me and the wife held our own little retirement party outside YOTI on a rainy September night just over a year ago. I have retired many times since then ofcourse. Infact I think I'll retire again today as soon as I get off the air!

Spliffhard
10-03-03 05:10 PM
nankerphelge I don't see what is immoral about using the recall-the-governor law to recall the governor. I don't agree with the idea of a recall, but I didn't put the law in the Cali constitution. They ratified it -- they can live with the consquences.

This isn't the same -- at least in my mind -- as taking a law such as the Patriot Act, which was to fight terrorism, and broadening its reach to fit the prosecution of, say, mob bosses. This is a constitutional provision that permits the voting public to recall their guv -- seems to be exactly what the law was intended to do, regardless of when it was passed and regardless of whether it has been used before. If the Calis didn't like the provision or thought it was no longer viable, they could have abolished it -- they didn't.

So I just don't see this as wrong or immoral. I don't agree with it. I think when you elect someone, you take the good and the bad for the appointed time. This is precisely why character and past actions are scrutinized in politics, because you need to know that the person you elect is going to do things the way you'd like to see them done. If they don't, then you vote them out next time. But if you have everyone able to second guess every move an official makes, then you run the risk of this kind of 3 ring circus you see in Cali. If Davis spent half the amount of time he has trying to save his ass on trying to fix the state's problems, he might actually have done some good. Instead, he is distracted from his elected responsibility.

But the fact is, the law is there and the Calis chose to use it. The fact that some of the candidates have politics you don't agree with doesn't make it immoral in my mind.
10-03-03 05:56 PM
gypsy I used to have a huge crush on SS...but now I kind of like nanky. he's cool.
10-03-03 07:59 PM
Stonesthrow SS-- There is nothing illegal or immoral going on with the California recall election. I won't elaborate on what Nanker said. However, I do think it is a microcosm of what is happening on a larger scale. People of all sorts are becoming more educated as to how to use the law and politics as weapons. Before Davis, there were never any efforts to recall a CA governor. That means either those governors did a good enough job or not enough people knew or wanted to initiate a recall. There is a parallel with the increasing partisonship in Congress. For instance, every time Clinton wanted to put up a nominee for a vacant judgeship, the Republicans found a way to 86 it. The same now goes for Democrats dumping on Bush appointees. People are increasingly using the legal and political process to push forward their own agendas whether or not they are good for the public at large.

Two things to keep in mind about Gray Davis. First, he really has done a bad job there. Second, he hasn't been voted out yet.

Disclosure: I am a registered Democrat and would not vote for Arnold even if I were a CA resident.

10-03-03 09:45 PM
Maxlugar Not to change the subject or anything but I've been working on a little side project of my own that maybe you are interested in:

The "Recall The Pope And Install Mick Taylor As The Supreme God-Like Human Here On Earth To Guide Us All To Truth And Salvation, Project"

Or the RTPAIMTATSGLHHOETGUATTASP, for short.

It's time we all had a Pope we could all look up to.

Even Josh.

So come. Come join me in this important and timely crusade.

Who knows, he may even call for Holy War against those dirty Islamic Fundamentalists who have already called for Holy War on us.

All while playing Sway.....

Thanks for your time my Kinkily little Stonesian Snuggle Bunnies!

MACKY!

[Edited by Maxlugar]
10-03-03 09:50 PM
sirmoonie I'm just thinking out loud here. For those of you planning to go vote for Mr. Schwarzenegger, maybe you could check to see if there are any WWII veterans' graveyards in the vicinity of the voting booths before you get there? If there are, maybe stop there first and take a piss on some veteran's grave or spraypaint swastikas on some headstones or something?

I dunno, something along those lines. To prime you up for act you are about to commit.

Just a thought. Hope this helps.
10-03-03 09:58 PM
Maxlugar If Ted Nugent wasn't going to be a Cardinal in Mick Taylor's Rockin' Vatican, I'd hope he was running.

10-04-03 12:07 AM
sirmoonie Maxwell? Did Ted Nugent ever offically declare himself a Nazi? I know, I know, I know, these fucking technicalities in California, but if he's not a real enemy of the United States of America, they just won't let him run.

Plus Ted Nugent never posed nude for that Maplethorpe deviant that died of AIDS. What chance does Ted Nugent have without that kind of experience?
10-04-03 12:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot Firstly...I never said anything about the recall being illegal. I said it was immoral. Two different things.

>If the Calis didn't like the provision or thought it was no longer viable, they could have abolished it -- they didn't. <

No shit. That is because NO ONE KNEW IT STILL EXISTED!!!

Wanna make bets on how long it lasts after this fiasco?

MB...I dislike Dems as much as the Republinazis. I am registered as a non-affiliated voter. I refuse to be identified with either of the two major political parties. They both suck hard. Yeah, and Free State my ass. You saw how well that Free State stuff worked in 1861.

Nanky, I agree with what you said about why the recall is a bad thing. And that is exactly why it was immoral to invoke it. Issa was a sore loser. Simple as that. He sunk 2 million of his own money into getting the recall off the ground...because he just couldn't stand the thought of having lost. He should never have opened this can of worms. It was immoral and wrong to do it. He is a spoiled little rich boy who couldn't handle not getting his own way. So he thought he could use an arcane amendment that everyone forgot existed to buy his way into the Guv's mansion. Sucks to be him.

You know, one of the biggest moments of high comedy in this whole thing was when Issa dropped out of the race. He was standing up there bawling like a little schoolboy watching his 2 million go up in smoke. All because Conan the Barbarian decided he wanted to bring his celebrity biceps to the race. He was standing there with tears streaming down his face, and I was laughing my ass off. Serves him right.
10-04-03 02:02 AM
Maxlugar I have been inside of Robert Mapplethorpe's studio on 23rd St. About a month after he died. It was just as he left it.

Let me just say this:

HOLY WING DANG PEE PEE FANG, UP THE WING DANG WEE WEE BANG!!

That was the most fucked up dude that ever sucked in a pocket o' oxygen, poppy!

Why was I there?

I was shooting a documentary on his life....

...and I left a really nice pair of rubber slacks there.

MACKY!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5