ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Cardinal Fang!! winner of the Trivia
Thanks so much Fernando Aceves

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cubs Win! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10-01-03 10:40 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Sadly, I think those days are winding down....I just can't afford the consequences...

Whatever you do DO NOT rent or watch "Fatal Attraction" during the coming months

Good luck jb
10-01-03 10:42 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
jb wrote:
I don't like showing off....

Bull Caukie!

But yes, don't show your secrectary, you ARE playing with fire there.

10-01-03 10:44 AM
Joey " I'm calling out, across the lacquered ocean... "

My Baby Steelie ............................that is really good . You are indeed " Imbued " today .

In your honor , I have composed a new poem , Enjoy :

Nothings last forever
Of that I'm sure
Now you've made an offer
I'll take some more
Cub loving may be
Oh so mean
Will I still survive
A brand new scene?
In our lighter moments
precious few
It's all that heavy weather
The Cubbies sometimes go through
When I turn the corner
I can't believe
It's still the same old movie
That's haunting me
Cub loving may be
Oh so mean
Trying to revive
The same old scene
Cub loving may be
So extreme
Maybe we should try
A brand new scene

Jassy !

10-01-03 11:01 AM
steel driving hammer I've got to read that poem again coz there's alot there I didn't get!

Maybe it's an overflow w/ too much information! LOL!!

But do you know what song that's from?

" I'm calling out, across the lacquered ocean... "
10-01-03 11:02 AM
Jumping Jack If there is a more underachieving, over paid bunch of choking prima donnas in the history of sports I'd like to know who they are.

Cubs fans want to know why no one goes to see the Braves it is very simple, they suck, are overpaid, the tickets are overpriced, the stadium is in a crappy part of town, it is a hassle to get there and their choking is the most embarassing in the entire history of sports.

Phil Mickelson was here for the golf tournament. With his quals as a choker the Braves will probably recruit him for next year.

SAD, SAD, SAD!!!
10-01-03 11:09 AM
steel driving hammer Phil Mickelson is my favorite Golfer.

He's the best player to have never won anything!

Off the field he's an all around great guy though.

Also a Lefty, as I.
10-01-03 11:11 AM
Joey " But do you know what song that's from?

" I'm calling out, across the lacquered ocean... "

Yes , " More Than This " by Roxy Music !

D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca !

10-01-03 11:13 AM
jb Roses are red
Violets are blue
Mr. lawyer is here
to serve and protect you.
10-01-03 11:14 AM
Joey Some expression in your eyes
Overtook me by surprise
Where was I how was I to know?
How can we drive to a movie show
When the music is here in my car
There's a band playing on the radio
With a rhythm of rhyming guitars
They playing Oh Yeah on the radio
And so came to be our song
And so on through all summer long
Day and night drifting into love
Driving you home from a movie show
So in tune to the sounds in my car
They playing Oh Yeah on the radio
It's some time since we said goodbye
And now we lead our separate lives
But where am I where can I go?
Driving alone to a movie show
So I turn to the sounds in my car
And it's drowning the sound of my tears
They're playing Oh Yeah on the radio

-- Thank You

The Joey , Established 1999
10-01-03 11:19 AM
jb The purpose of the law is to prevent the strong from always having their way-Ovid
10-01-03 11:36 AM
Joey " The purpose of the law is to prevent the strong from always having their way-Ovid "

" All in All , I'd rather be in Chicago with my Baby Steelie - Beta "

( Anonymous , 1864 )

Jersey !

10-02-03 12:01 AM
Some Guy Did the Braves WIN!
10-02-03 08:26 AM
steel driving hammer Yes they did you bastard.

See you in Chi Town my Brother!
10-02-03 08:42 AM
Some Guy Don't worry- we have yet begun to choke.
10-02-03 10:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot No no no....The Braves won't choke against the Cubs. The Cubs will lose in person in front of all those diehard Cubs fans...further rubbing salt into the wound. I mean, come on, the phuckin' Phillies swept the Cubs in Wrigley(including a win over Prior and a drubbing of Kerry Wood), all the Braves gotta do is win two more games.

The Braves will choke in San Francisco.

You are all getting sucked in. Your teams are about to rip your heart out and show it to your dying eyes as it still beats.

You'll never learn.
10-02-03 11:42 AM
Joey " Your teams are about to rip your heart out and show it to your dying eyes as it still beats.

You'll never learn. "

Is that the same as getting the crap beat out of you until you are still breathing and then being buried alive ????

Developing ...........................like a pleasurable rash that gets under your skin and STAYS there .

J.

10-02-03 12:23 PM
T&A long-time Giants fan here. Can't root for the Cubs 'cos I can't bear the thought of Dusty winning it all and be able to thumb his nose at the Giants. Here's the dope on Dusty:

1) Good manager from a clubhouse standpoint - he gets the most out of his players.

2) He's one of the worst field managers I've ever seen - he has made some of the biggest bonehead big-game, post-season decisions I've ever seen. He cost the Giants the WS last year by yanking Ortiz with a 5-0 lead in the 7th. No other manager in baseball pulls just a bonehead move.

The Giants dumped him because they were tired of this act and they know they only have a small window left to win it all during the Bonds regime. To that extent - Alou is the perfect fit. Has has all of Dusty's positives (see #1 above) plus he knows how to manage a game. They may not win this year, but it won't be because Alou pulls a "Dusty." And, if the Cubs do win it all, it will be despite Dusty, not because of him...

[Edited by T&A]
10-02-03 02:09 PM
Some Guy Is there a curse on the cubs or something. I thought I heard about it
10-02-03 03:04 PM
Joey

Curse ?!?!?!?!

CURSE ?!?!?!?!

Uptown
It's murder out in the street
Uptown
It's murder out in the street .....................
That's where I found my mandarin Cub ,
That's where you'd be if you found one .

Where the nights are bright
And joy is complete ,
Keep my squeeze on Green Flower Street !!!!!!

Lou Chang
Her brother he's burning with rage
Lou Chang
Her brother he's burning with rage ...........
I'd like to know what's on his mind ;
He says hey buddy you're not my kind .

Where the nights are bright
And joy is complete
Keep my squeeze on Green Flower Street !!!!!!!

--- Thank You !

Joey !

10-02-03 04:29 PM
Some Guy Oh we can't discuss the curse
10-03-03 12:39 AM
parmeda Oh hell...I'll tell ya about that damn curse! LOL!!!
...read on, please.
BREAKING THE CUBS' CURSE
By George Beres
(Mr. Beres, a graduate of Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism, was sports information director at Northwestern, and later at the University of Oregon.)

After a drought of 58 years without a place in baseball's World Series, the day has come for an act that can remove from Chicago's Wrigley Field the Billy Goat Curse of 1945.

Time is ripe. Bolstered by the strongest young pitching arms in baseball, the Chicago Cubs-- longtime symbols of diamond futility-- have mystifed the baseball establishment by staying in the tight race for the Central Division lead in the National League. So they should be ready for the mystical that could free them of the curse that has kept them out of the World Series since 1945.

The somber tale is familiar to longtime Cubs fans who had grown accustomed to pennant winners during the first half-century of Big League baseball. It was the 16th World Series for the Cubs when they played the American League's Detroit Tigers in 1945. Division playoffs were a long way off, and each team was the champion of its eight-team league. Fans laughed when a Chicago tavern-keeper, Sam Sianis-- angered over his ejection from a '45 Series game-- pronounced in his broken English: "Never agin will World Series be played in Wrigley Field." The laughter has died, as almost six decades have passed without the Cubs adding that elusive 17th pennant. They have become America's "favorite losers," as Chicago super TV station, WGN-- owned by the same company that runs the Cubs, the Chicago Tribune-- has given the perennial Cubs frustrations a national viewing audience.

One fan, angered by the Cubs image of ineptness, has proposed an exorcism to disolve the curse. He even has arranged for the exorcist: Fr. Guido Sarducci, the "Saturday Night LIve" television identity of actor, Don Novello. Fr. Guido said he is prepared to come to Chicago to perform the exorcism. He would be resplendent in his vestments as he invokes a cleansing invocation while a cherrypicker lifts him high above the main entrance of the ballpark.

The original Billy Goat Sianis, who bequeathed his business-- and the curse-- to his nephew, gave Wrigley Field ushers good reason to eject him from that Series game against the Tigers. He used his second ticket to bring with him his tethered goat. Getting through the gates with his smelly pet was an achievement. Being ejected was a foregone conclusion, as nearby fans complained about the goat's odor.

As the years passed, the curse evolved into one of Chicago's unique traditions, like Ms. O'Leary's cow kicking over the lantern that started the Chicago fire. Mike Royko, Chicago's famed syndicated columnist, wrote an annual column about the curse-based failure of the Cubs.

In 1994, Tom Trebelhorn, one of a string of 10 successive Cubs managers to last no more than a year in the job, did his best to get rid of the curse. He arranged for the second generation Sianis and Cubs great, Ernie Banks, to join a robed group of chanting monastic monks in what was intended to be a curse-cleansing procession around the vine-covered interior walls of Wrigley Field. Nothing changed, and Trebelhorn headed out the Cubs managerial revolving door at the end of the season.

Trebelhorn made one mistake. He failed to involve an exorcist. Now the time has come. Fr. Guido awaits a summons to Chicago to evict the curse of the goat, and resurrect the glory days of the Cubs.

There ya have it.
Pretty insane, huh?
Do I believe it?
You can bet yer sweet ass I do!
"Get that fucking goat back in there damn it!!!"
10-03-03 01:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot You people really don't get it do you?

MLB must have big ratings for this World series. BIG ratings. The only match up that will get the big numbers is Bonds vs the Yankees.

You wait and see. The Giants and Yankees, in critical situations will ALWAYS get the close calls, will benefit from blown calls, will get any pitch within 8 inches of the plate.

Remember Jeffery Mayer anyone?

It's all about the money folks.

Sammy Sosa is a great ball player...but he ain't an American. Unfair or not, Americans want to watch American ball players be the star. Sammy got suspended for a corked bat this year...the only people interested in watching the Cubs in a World Series...are Cubs fans, and there are just not enough of them. But everyone even remotely interested in baseball will tune in to see if Bonds hits one to the moon, they won't tune in to see Sosa. And it seems that there are Yankee fans everywhere. Don't forget Clemens is retiring, and Jeter and Giambi are media darlings. They are a network's wet dream for ratings.

I'm telling you right now, the Giants and Yankees will play in the World Series. The only thing that will prevent that from happening is if the Giants or Yankees tank, and get involved in blow out games. I don't see that happening. Do you? Don't be so foolish as to think that MLB won't try to get the match up they want...they want Giants vs Yankees, and will do everything they can to get it. The chips are stacked against everyone else.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
10-03-03 01:47 AM
Stonesthrow Shades of the Lakers/Celtics in the 1980s. 80-Lakers; 81-Celtics; 82-Lakers; 84-Celtics; 85- Lakers; 86-Celtics; 87-Lakers; 88-Lakers. If you are keeping score, 83 was Philadelphia and 89-90 was Detroit right before the Michael dynasty.

10-03-03 01:58 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yep.

Anyone who thinks that MLB can't control a game, or a playoff series, are seriously deluding themselves. All they need is for the games to be close.

How about that NBA stuff...just coincidence that the leagues marquee players were always in the prime time events? Yeah sure it was.
10-03-03 08:05 AM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You people really don't get it do you?

SS dear...please don't crap on my Corn Flakes so early in the morning.

Don't you, for one minute think I have blinders on! LMAO
I was born at night...but not LAST NIGHT.
I have been thru disappointment for the past 43 years...
I have my crying towel hanging on the back burner...
I have warned every breathing soul within a 10 mile radius of my home to 'approach with caution'...

I am used to this, lol.

However...I hope that you and those Billy Goat Bastards are wrong this year. And if you are, keep your eyes glued to ESPN's Waveland Avenue coverage
10-03-03 08:21 AM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry Pam, I'm just sick to death of MLB. They have sucked all the fun out of a once great sport.

I really don't want to rain on your parade, MLB will do that for you. I just call it like I see it.
10-03-03 08:24 AM
parmeda No appology needed SS...
I may be needing that shoulder of yours to cry on this weekend. I HOPE NOT, but I may...
10-03-03 08:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh I dunno, your guys could get past the Braves...

Your only hope is that the Marlins beat the Giants. If that happens then it's up for grabs. But I don't see that happening.
10-03-03 10:12 AM
glencar This stuff is still going on? I'm rooting for the Yankees but it's another 2 weeks till the WS. That's all that matters.
10-03-03 11:04 AM
Riffhard Well I haven't talked alot of sports smack around here so I guess it's time for me to start. The Atlanta Braves are going to win this thing in five games. Period! The end! It's over Cubs fans. Mark Prior may be great but, he has the worst ERA against the Braves. His ERA is at 6.35! Horrible! Now take a look at Maddux. He has owned the Cubs for years now!

If the Cubs were playing anyone but Atlanta I would root for them but,I'm from Atlanta and they deserve at least one more WS ring. They have done what no other sports team in history has done. 12 division titles in a row.

Having said all that,Braves in five against the Cubs. They will take the Marlins in four and then win the ring against Oakland in six.

There I said it!

Los Bravos numero uno!

Riffhard

PS-Stones are great!
Page: 1 2 3 4