ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Qwest Field, Seattle, WA - 17th October 2006
© Seattle Post Intelligencer with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The demise of Keith Richards???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th October 2006 09:56 PM
Fiji Joe Look...I've read all this stuff..how he tanked in Chicago...tanked at Giants...that may be

But I saw him less than 2 weeks ago in Wichita and he looked and sounded good...he really seemed to be into the show...sure there were a couple of low points...some muffs here and there...but he started and finished strong and the boys as a whole put on a top notch show...perhaps it was the weather...it was very warm that day...but he was as good as he was during the Licks tour and he seemed to be very happy to be up there

Stroke?..hell nah...drunk?...probably...no doubt he sipped a bit before going out in the 30 degree weather last night...then again...he's damn near 70 and playing more gigs than most cats that are 20...My opinion...he's lost some...he's lost a lot...his skills are declining...no doubt...he has fingertips the size of golf balls...is their major touring over?...yes...I believe that

But Keith and the Stones have many years of entertaining left...limited gigs...good rest between shows...and a redidication to the studio...I see all of that in the final 5-8 years upcoming...Keith ain't dead...but the Stones shows you've become accustomed to are...I'll take whatever they want to give me...and like it...cause when it's gone...it's gone...and then what?
12th October 2006 10:07 PM
deuce It will definately feel strange when the Stones call it quits. But NO ONE can deny how much Keith's ability has gone downhill. Sure, you can chalk it up to age - but I don't know if I can fully accept that. I'm not saying he's gonna be playing at the same level he was 25 years ago, but look at Townshend - Look at Joe Perry from Aerosmith. They all still have their chops. Of course, they also don't have arthritis. It just saddens me to see Keith, the world's coolest Mother Fucker, on the decline.

He can't sing and play at the same time anymore (not that he was ever great at it, but still), he can't pump out those monster rhythms he used to be able to do, and I've noticed that every song has pretty much the same guitar solo. It pains me to say this stuff. It's just frusrating though. I mean, here's the guy who influenced me to pick up the guitar. I'm heavily influenced by his work, I learn his tunes, and I hear him play now and think "Come on man, I could have played that better!".

I'm a huge fan of the Stones, but I don't want to follow blindly. We are nearing the end folks. This will be the last major tour - and who knows, maybe it's for the better. I would love to see them take a year off, then go into the studio to record another album, then do a smaller tour behind it with scattered club dates.

[Edited by deuce]
12th October 2006 10:08 PM
Scottfree Best assesment yet, I don't know how he plays with them clubbed fingers to begin with...
12th October 2006 10:15 PM
Fiji Joe I think some Vegas shows...with Keith sitting...and not trying to be the old Keith...a situation that will allow him to concentrate on his playing...he'll do fine...There has to be a certain amount of boredom that enters the picture as well...the dude has been playing these same songs for many many years...by all accounts, She Was Hot rocked...might it be because Keith was into it?...being a first and all?
12th October 2006 10:20 PM
BILL PERKS I'M SAYING MY GOODBYES IN AC-IT WILL HURT
12th October 2006 10:21 PM
deuce It's hard to break down what the problem is. It's definately a combination of 3 factors...age, arthritis, and his many years of abuse. I'll add a 4th factor in there though...laziness. I think he's just too comfortable. If he messes up, he's got Chuck and Blondie backing him up. Not that he has anything to prove because the guy is a legend - but he knows he's a legend, so therefor I think he finds it acceptable sometimes to play the opening riff to a song and just stand there and pose and then give another strum a minute later. He's so wrapped up in his own character. I love Keith to death, but this is the truth.

I think in order for them to remain worthwhile, smaller venues is the way to go. Keith needs to actually concentrate on his playing
12th October 2006 10:48 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
deuce wrote:
It's hard to break down what the problem is. It's definately a combination of 3 factors...age, arthritis, and his many years of abuse. I'll add a 4th factor in there though...laziness. I think he's just too comfortable. If he messes up, he's got Chuck and Blondie backing him up. Not that he has anything to prove because the guy is a legend - but he knows he's a legend, so therefor I think he finds it acceptable sometimes to play the opening riff to a song and just stand there and pose and then give another strum a minute later. He's so wrapped up in his own character. I love Keith to death, but this is the truth.

I think in order for them to remain worthwhile, smaller venues is the way to go. Keith needs to actually concentrate on his playing

I agree with most of that...laziness...boredom...that factors in a bunch...too bad he doesn't have Mick's ego to drive him
12th October 2006 11:05 PM
Nellcote Keith Richards will never die.
12th October 2006 11:30 PM
mojoman
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Keith Richards will never die.

rock and roll can never die
12th October 2006 11:54 PM
Paranoid_Android Rocks Off Member

Posted 12th October 2006 08:53 AM Reply with quote Edit Post Delete post

quote:Jumping Jack wrote:
I will wait to hear him inside at AC before passing final judgement, but your candid feedback is welcome.

As will I...though, I wish I hadn't read that part of your review...My friend Richie & I always have joked that we wanted to be at the show where Keith collapses on stage in a blaze of rock n roll glory...but this is nothing like what we would want to see happen, to Keith or any rock icon (Dylan, comes to mind). It was cold...and not having the luxury of being able to wear a parka w/ mittons...well...let's just call it being optimistic and rational on my part.

See you all in AC!!!
13th October 2006 12:05 AM
SweetVirginia Is there anyone on this board who can spell "definitely"?
[Edited by SweetVirginia]
13th October 2006 12:13 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Is there anyone on this board who can spell "definitely"?

"Definitely, definitely"
13th October 2006 12:18 AM
SweetVirginia

10 minutes till Wapner

13th October 2006 12:25 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Is there anyone on this board who can spell "definitely"?

LOL...it's one of those words...I know I'm misspelling it...I know how to spell it, but I still spell it wrong...it's kooky...definately
13th October 2006 12:33 AM
SweetVirginia
It should be an SAT word. When I look on my kids' Live Journals I'm stunned by how many of them (a) use that word and (b) can not spell it.

13th October 2006 12:41 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

It should be an SAT word. When I look on my kids' Live Journals I'm stunned by how many of them (a) use that word and (b) can not spell it.

What level do you edumacate?
13th October 2006 12:46 AM
Egbert Forget about learning how to spell, we just need spellcheck on this board.
13th October 2006 12:48 AM
Bloozehound Sounds to me like he was just having a bad night probably due to all the cold, arthritus and shit...but next Sunday I'm gonna wing on over to zilker and jam with the Stones

I'll be scopen'm, I'll be sure to report any "foul play"
13th October 2006 01:07 AM
Brainbell Jangler I will be up close (sixth row center) in Seattle on Tuesday. I'll report back.
13th October 2006 01:11 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

What level do you edumacate?

Tell me you are NOT making fun of my Midwestern state school education???

13th October 2006 01:18 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Tell me you are NOT making fun of my Midwestern state school education???

No...someone has to go to those schools

13th October 2006 01:34 AM
Poplar
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Sounds to me like he was just having a bad night probably due to all the cold, arthritus and shit...but next Sunday I'm gonna wing on over to zilker and jam with the Stones

I'll be scopen'm, I'll be sure to report any "foul play"

Where ya been, Bloozy? Glad you're going to Zilker.

i'm listening to another cold show - Halifax - at the moment. Keith is hit and miss, but pretty damn entertaining. it's dirty - i'm dig'n it. anyone notice the cat fight in the crowd at the end Monkey Man? Pretty funny. ... oh shit, here comes SOL.
[Edited by Poplar]
13th October 2006 06:57 AM
Steel Wheels Keith Richards will always be the best. Playing or not, sitting or standing, Keef is my hero.
13th October 2006 08:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Memorable Quote from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

Ransom Stoddard: You're not going to use the story, Mr. Scott?

Maxwell Scott: This is the west, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend..

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
13th October 2006 08:52 AM
NHStonesfan I'll continue to follow blindly and enjoy the hell out of it!
13th October 2006 09:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man Regardless of how Keith performs, I absolutely love every minute of watching him perform. Whether it's from standing a few feet away from the B-stage, or watching him on the wonderful Saitama DVD. He is an absolute legend and those glorious filthy riffs are still in place for the most part. All he has to do is crank out that Brown Sugar intro and I'm away. I'd say it’s the same for 99% of the audience too. That’s what matters. He still entertains and puts a grin on people’s faces.

HOWEVER, if we are talking purely about his current ability, then for sure, as discussed countless times, it’s diminishing. The show the other night must've been just an of night though. The weather may of made his fingers hurt. Its possible. I like the laziness comments too. I know a lot of the tunes are in open G tuning, but I personally feel that encourages it.
13th October 2006 09:58 AM
Some Guy as long as they don't tarp him.
13th October 2006 10:51 AM
Saint Sway © Tarpism.
13th October 2006 06:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Maxwell Scott: This is the west, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend..

Keith's demise? What demise???? This thread is just hair splitting. The Legend is intact....and it always will be. 50 years from now the world won't give a fuck whether Keith loved his kids or his dog, whether he had a stroke or the cold hurt his arthritic hands on a cold night...and all that trivia, but they will want to read the about the legend and listen to the songs.

PRINT THE LEGEND!
13th October 2006 06:47 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Keith's demise? What demise???? This thread is just hair splitting. The Legend is intact....and it always will be. 50 years from now the world won't give a fuck whether Keith loved his kids or his dog, whether he had a stroke or the cold hurt his arthritic hands on a cold night...and all that trivia, but they will want to read the about the legend and listen to the songs.

PRINT THE LEGEND!

PRINTED, my man!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)