ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wingless Angels Return to archive
10-14-02 08:10 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Alright... What's the deal on Keith's unreleased third album? The reggae album?

Is it around anywhere? Was it ever officially released?

'cuz if it was, that'd be rockin' and then I'd have to go find it somewhere. Haven't seen it anywhere, online or off.

-tSYX --- Payin' the cost to be the boss...
10-14-02 08:16 AM
stonedinaustralia news to me xyzzy - what do you know?
10-14-02 08:43 AM
RubyFriday It�s a Roots-album from some of his pals in jamaica.
Keith produced it.
It came out 1996
10-14-02 09:17 AM
Nellcote Checked with spun.com, along with Amazon, both have the ability to list the cd on their site, so it can be looked for.

It's a great rootsy reggae cd.

xyzy, probably find it in one of the Harvard Sq. used record shops
10-14-02 09:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Listen portions of the album and a great Keith Richards interview by Liza Richardson conducted on December 16, 1997.

We have more interviews and clips in the Audio/Video Room (see link at the top of the board or in our website.

Click the cover of the album and listen the interview!

10-14-02 02:03 PM
56DeSoto I have the Wingless Angels album. It went into official release. I bought it at a local record store when it first came out. It's very enjoyable...lotsa slow drumming ja guys singing songs. Sounds like they were all hanging out in a big room with a lot of Red Stripe and other substances...

56DeSoto
www.edithgrove.com
10-14-02 02:11 PM
Maxlugar I have it.

Oh yeah, it's VERY rockin'!

Go get it. It'll rock your ass off with it's hard rockin'!

TheSavageYoungMAXY!
10-14-02 03:42 PM
Moonisup It is great to listen to lotta rootsreggea and sounds of the woods
10-14-02 04:12 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
TheSavageYoungMAXY!

Oh no you don't!

At best you could be TheDirty-Workin'MiddleAgedmaXy.

And yes, even as I listen to Taylor make "Sympathy" his personal bitch on my Ya-Ya's remaster, It's Ronnie all the way!

Nellcote, gracias - I'll go out lookin' one of these weekends...

Too much to do...

-tSYX --- I got nasty habits... I take tea at three...
10-14-02 04:22 PM
stonedinaustralia oh!! - you talking about "wingless angels" xyzzy - i thought there was some other album out there i wasn't aware of - the wingless angels is hardly even "reggae" - it's pretty much totally tribal drum music (with a few little melodic flourishes added by keith) - bona fide roots music

i second all the recommendations

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-14-02 05:51 PM
Gazza I love it - and yeah,I wouldnt even describe it as what we would call "reggae"...its pretty unclassifiable 0 more a sort of tribal chant vibe with drums....its an acquired taste,but I think its terrific

It was obviously an idea that Keith had been toying with for some time - he even talks about it on that infamous BBC TV "Old Grey Whistle Test" in October '74 when "IORR" had just come out (the same interview where he's so out of his brain on smack he seems to be literally falling asleep during the conversation and sounds at times like he's TALKING in his sleep..)

it actually came out either just before or after "Bridges to Babylon" from what I recall...so around Aug-Oct 1997 I guess
10-14-02 07:23 PM
Lacride Excerpt from the �booklet�:

The sound is essentially African, but on �Wingless Angels� the Wesleyan hymns of the British churches, brought to Jamaica by Pentecostal missionaries, have intertwined with African heartbeats. They recorded when the sun set, in Brother Keith�s Ocho Rios yard. Night insects are noisy in the background. The ease of the players companionship ripples through the voices overhead between the rythmn tracks, making us feel present, participants.

Great album, back to the ragga roots. I enjoy it more with recreational substances...