ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 40 Licks /BBC Return to archive
10-13-02 07:25 AM
Mathijs Just received a CDR of 40 licks, did anyone notice that on Miss You the guitar parts of Ron Wood are erased? Why would they have done that? The sound quality is truelly excellent though, the ABKCO parts sound trully awesome, they did a great job remastering that, and also the post-1971 stuff sounds better than ever, great bass and presence. The new songs, except for Don't Stop don't seem to fit in however, they sound a bit middel of the road in between all these hits.

The BBC specials last night were nice, especially the first part about the wife's of the Stones was great, excellent tongue-in-cheek Brittish comment, and some great shots I've never seen, like the backstage dressing room shots of Manchester 1971 and some footage of Dallas 1981, in excellent pro-shot video quality.

Mathijs
10-13-02 12:45 PM
Gazza That 1981 footage is actually from Orlando,Florida. Mathijs - it was first shown as part of an interview feature on the BBC "Newsnight" programme in 1981 (I remember watching it at the time) and some of it reappeared in another BBC "Twenty years On" Stones special in July 1982

never saw the 1971 footage before,though - nor did I even know of its existence or that it was from manchester.where did they dig THAT bit from?

The thing that made me the most surprised from that documentary was the revelation that John Lennon wrote the Beatles song "And your bird can sing" about Mick - the "bird" in question being Marianne. It wasnt a bad documentary overall..I liked the quote about Keith being "a gentleman masquerading as a yob", the story about Charlie refusing to wash when on tour until he was allowed to bring Shirley along, and the always funny Keith Altham's tale about jazz musician George Melly's put-down of Mick (George asked Mick how his face had become so lined. Mick made the excuse that it was "laughter lines", to which Melly responded "Nothing's THAT funny...")

The TOTP2 special was so predictable, its no longer even laughable. The BBC show the same TOTP footage of the Stones over and over, as in their infinite wisdom they destroyed so much archive footage from the 60's and 70's for storage space before they actually realised some of this stuff might have historical value. I even said to my wife when the programme started that it was a cert that they would show "the last time" from '65, "lets spend the night together' from '67, "honky tonk women" from '69 and "Brown sugar" from '71 and little else. They subsequently showed JUST those four - it must be the only bloody clips they still have - incidentaly,the '67 and '71 clips arent from the original transmission dates - theyre from end of year Christmas specials showcasing the best of that year's TOTP. Similarly,the 1969 clip of "Honky tonk women" isnt from when the song was released (July),but from the Christmas Day special (the Stones taped their performance on 12.12.69) - the BBC have obviously wiped the original appearances of these songs. The other two archive clips they showed were promos of IORR and Love Is strong (a bit of an odd choice as LIS was never even SHOWN on TOTP). The three clips from the Boston Orpheum show were good to see (although the BBC sound crew should be shot for making the guitars in JJ flash audible only to dogs)but far too brief - nice to see "Everybody needs somebody to love" though. The interviews werent bad. Mick looked tired and Woody surprisingly healthy and younger than Ive seen him for some time.