ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Exciting News! Return to archive
10-12-02 11:11 AM
Stonesprofessor According to a post on GAS3X..THE HOWLIN WOLF LONDON SESSIONS will be remastered and released in November....bonus tracks....studio conversations..the WORKS...boyoboy..ant wait...more $$$...lol....
10-12-02 01:20 PM
full moon I have never heard of this?? What is it??
10-12-02 02:53 PM
Stonesprofessor This is a GREAT album,recorded in 1970, that features Howlin' with a band that consists of:

Guitars: Eric Clapton, Hubert Sumlin
Bass: Bill Wyman [Klaus Voorman on one track]
Drums: Charlie Watts [Ringo on one track!]
Keyboards: Steve Winwood, Ian Stewart

None too shabby huh? As expected this album MOVES...also with a great little bit with Howlin tryin to teach the PROPER way to play The Red Rooster...This promises to have more of theis type of stuff The original CD released in 87 or so [sound familiar?] truly SUCKED: VERY poor quality...could hardly hear some of Eric's solos....everything really muddy...THIS will be as much of a need-to-buy as any of the Stones remasters...
10-12-02 09:43 PM
Angiegirl Yes, if you love oldfashioned blues, this is a great album, but could use a cleaning session indeed. I love the album, bought it in London a few years ago because I could not find it anywhere in Holland. I'd had it on tape for a few years. Shortly after I purchased it in the UK, I saw it in Holland too.
I am curous about the re-issue I must say.
10-12-02 09:53 PM
stonesmik Has anyone noticed Mick Jagger was using some Howlin' Wolf growling from that album on his "hipgrass" remix of "Out of focus"?

Also I have noticed the Stones have used the voice of the girl that yells "Paint it black! Paint it black!" right before "Sympathy for the devil" on "Get yer ya-ya's out!" on their live CD "Flashpoint".
10-12-02 09:57 PM
full moon Who is the vocalist on these sessions??
10-12-02 10:00 PM
stonesmik Chester Burnett, of course! aka The Howlin' Wolf
10-12-02 10:13 PM
Angiegirl Yep, the one and only. What a voice! I have a lot of Wolf's recordings, they're great.
"I think it's time you shut up and get Howlin' Wolf on stage!" (Brian Jones)

The girl (Paint it black, you devils!) is so famous, it was a good choice to include her. And Mick, I think he always tries to sing like blues legends, but he rarely succeeds because of the nature of his voice I guess. Like when he performed Mannish boy with Muddy Waters. He tries and fails, although it's still funny to watch.
10-12-02 10:35 PM
stonesmik Yeh, extra fun seeing Muddy Waters sitting on his stool watching that strange English fellow with the big mouth, hehe. I also liked John Lee Hooker doing "Boogie chillen" in Atlantic City with the Stones backing him.

I heard there is a Howlin' Wolf TV appearance in the 60s together with the Stones - is that when Brian Jones said that?
10-12-02 10:42 PM
Angiegirl Yes, early sixties. They did 'How many more years' I think. The snippet is on the '25 x 5' video.
10-12-02 10:49 PM
stonesmik I saw that once or twice on TV, many years ago, but I don't have the video :-(

But I have the great Chess box of Howlin' Wolf :-)
10-12-02 10:54 PM
Angiegirl Yeh, I have that one too. Chess ruled! I have a great Chess Chuck Berry album too.

You can buy the 25x5 video, right? It must be for sale somewhere online. It's such a great document. And the tv airings are usually shortened/edited. Here in Holland they cut out more than 30 minutes. So why not get the real deal?
[Edited by Angiegirl]
10-12-02 11:00 PM
stonesmik Mm, I guess you're right... in fact I was always waiting for the DVD edition but that doesn't seem to happen.

I have also the Chuck Berry Chess box! Love that "Little queenie" tune, used to drive my neighbors mad when playing that song on my Telecaster in the middle of the night, with my friend playing the rock'n'roll piano. And yes, I got also the Bo Diddley one. Saw that guy last year in concert, what a man! At the end a girl entered the stage and he danced with her (he's about 73 years old!)
10-12-02 11:06 PM
Angiegirl Oh, right, DVD's. Yeah, I always forget those. I don't have a DVD player, you see, that's why I'm thinking in video tapes!! LOL! I would love to have one, but don't even have the money for a new computer, a quick internet connection or a trip to the US for the Stones. Life's a bitch right.

O well...