ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stereo Satisfaction? Return to archive
10-11-02 09:34 AM
Jerry in Boston When the remasters were being hyped in press pre-release, one of the principles involved mentioned a stereo version of Satisfaction as his greatest find while doing the research and recovery effort.

So here's my question: where is it in the new series? It's not on "Hot Rocks". I'm weary of shelling out the cash for a new version of "the London Years" because the first version really sounded less than stellar and quite muffled to me.
10-11-02 09:49 AM
full moon Actually, I think it is on Hot Rocks...
10-11-02 09:56 AM
gypsymofo60 This must be the version I was talking about the other day. A radio station here in OZ has been playing it for about ten years to my knowlege, but I can never find it on any CD collection. This is the version where the acoustic guitar is much higher up in the mix, much better.
10-11-02 07:56 PM
Stonesthrow GMF-- I don't know about anywhere else, but there is a wide stereo version of Satisfaction on the German Decca Hot Rocks. Basically, most of the recognizable music (lead, bass, drums) is on the left channel and the piano and acoustic guitar are on the right. I was led to believe that the Hot Rocks SACD was to have a narrow stereo version of Satisfaction. However, I have not heard it so I'm not sure.
10-11-02 10:57 PM
gypsymofo60 That would make sense Stonesthrow, the radio station in question here is what I would describe as a SAFE station, 60s, 70s, & 80s, all aimed at the 30-60 age bracket. It would be likely for this station to have gotten a hold of 'Hot Rocks'pressed in Germany. My 'Hot Rocks' is a UK pressing nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe you could help me with something, when I was quite young I was at a party one night, and someone rolled up with big brothers record collection(very brave), an old American pressing of 'Hot Rocks' was in this pile of LPs. I put it on, and could swear that 'Brown Sugar'& 'Wild Horses' were completely different to the excepted versions that are on that album today. Did the original 'Hot Rocks'contain demo versions of these two songs? And would it have had something to do with The Klein problem?
10-12-02 02:04 AM
Stonesthrow GMF-- I checked my Decca Hot Rocks for BS and WH. Both sound to me like the normal hit versions. No demos here.
If you were talking about the vinyl Hot Rocks, my version is the regular American version. Both songs are also the hit versions. I don't know where you could have heard alternate "demo" takes, especially that long ago.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
10-12-02 02:51 AM
gypsymofo60 Stonesthrow, I am talking original American vinyl. I myself had the aforementioned US vinyl, but as you say regular 'Sticky Fingers' versions of both songs. It is a great mystery to me, or maybe I just dreamt the whole party. No it definately happened! And those two songs on that copy at the party were much more raw, and stripped back, more acoustic.
10-12-02 04:13 AM
Moonisup stereoo satifaction, ain't that a sandwich, you know a girl thing?!

in her ass and uh

oh no to dirty
[Edited by Moonisup]
10-12-02 06:14 AM
egon moon,

have you been drinking?
10-12-02 06:45 AM
Moonisup people say I'm a drinker, but I am sober half the time

-evening gown-

10-12-02 11:04 AM
Stonesprofessor You have something fairly RARE there guy! A VERY limited number of the original HOT ROCKS initial pressing contained 'different' versions of BS and WH....I am assuming the BS has NO sax on it [like the version heard n GIMME SHELTER]? And the WH is missing the MT solos? I would check those out on some collector's website!
10-13-02 03:49 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Stonesprofessor wrote:
You have something fairly RARE there guy! A VERY limited number of the original HOT ROCKS initial pressing contained 'different' versions of BS and WH....I am assuming the BS has NO sax on it [like the version heard n GIMME SHELTER]? And the WH is missing the MT solos? I would check those out on some collector's website!

Stonesprofessor, are you telling me I was not imagining what I heard? There actually were pressings of that album with different versions of BS & WH? I'm thinking maybe the WHs version on that ultra-rare CD is the same?
10-13-02 08:52 AM
jersey16 The alternate �Hot Rocks� tracks could be the same ones played in �Gimme Shelter�, but are both mixed differently and were no way ready for official release.

Brown Sugar - no sax, an added lead guitar which sounds like Keith�s - mixed down as opposed to the movie - weaves in and out throughout the song. Into the sax break, there�s a weak lead and Mick calls out �Y�all taste good!�. At the start of the song the drums come in way too loud and someone hurriedly turns them down.

Wild Horses - vocals are much more �echoey� than the movie version and mixed up front. No background vocals or electric guitars. Jim Dickinson�s acoustic piano playing is is much more prominent.

As for stereo �Satisfaction�, there�s a version on the bootleg �Dartford Renegades�. Best thing about it is that you can really hear Brian Jones� acoustic guitar - buried in the mono mix - an understated gem that helps carry the song along.
10-13-02 10:10 AM
JaggaRichards I have the stereo 'Satisfaction' on the German Hot Rocks, but I'll still take the mono version any day-the mono 'Satisfaction' has more punch to it.
And the same thing applies to the mono vs. stereo version of 'Get Off My Cloud'.

Stereo '19th Nervous Breakdown'? Now that's one tune that really rocks out in stereo!
[Edited by JaggaRichards]