ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rolling stone mag: exile on main st only sold 1million copies Return to archive
10-09-02 04:56 PM
D Rolling stone magazine recently published a list of the 100 greatest albums voted by the readers, however under exile on mainstreet, sales are said to be only 1 million, is that true? seems wrong
thanks for feedback
10-09-02 04:58 PM
Moonisup that is totally wrong!!

10-09-02 05:12 PM
D do you know how many it sold by chance my boyfriend believes the idiot magazine, i know it has to be wrong
D
10-09-02 05:31 PM
Moonisup then you should date me!
Some girls sold 8 mil copies in the seventies,
wel Exile is 30 years ago, just go figure!!
10-09-02 05:50 PM
mattb Exile was certified as platinum (one million units sold)in May 2000 for Rolling Stones Records. You can get each certifcation you qualify for, even if you sell double platinum before you apply for the platinum. In any event, it looks as if no one bothered to apply for the platinum on Rolling Stones Records until it was certified in May 2000. The record companies have to apply for the certification. It is not automatic. As for how many it has sold on all labels since its release, I don't know the exact answer. I have seen several references to it having sold triple platinum, which would be three million.
10-09-02 07:53 PM
stonesmik It is probably the 90s Virgin re-release that went platinum.
10-10-02 12:42 PM
quackenbush Is Rolling Stone magazine saying that one million records of Exile were sold in the U.S, or is it refering to total sales worldwide?
10-10-02 12:54 PM
jb This record should have easily sold 10 million plus...even none stone fans proclaim it as the greatest stones album...
10-10-02 01:00 PM
D In the "Keith" issue out now, under exile, the RIAA, has only 1 million units sold, i'm not sure if this is only US or worldwide, even if it was USA sales you would think more would have been sold
10-10-02 01:05 PM
jb The stones PR machine has sucked for a long time....they should copy the guys who do the Beatles/Elvis promos as those 2 entities seem to always be popular!
10-10-02 01:07 PM
Moonisup just like with mozart, their art will be recognized after they are long dead and gone!

50 years of popular music
40 years of stones,

who can match that. We are still experiencing the stones, that why they won't the the greatest band, that will come after they are gone, sad but true
10-10-02 01:44 PM
jb True, death, always seems to make people larger than life..(Jim Morrison, Lennon, Hendrix).
10-10-02 02:34 PM
lucasd4 EXILE has sold many millions in the U.S. It was never submitted by the record company for certification status beyond platinum
10-11-02 02:57 AM
gypsymofo60 Contrary to popular opinion, not everything released goes platinum. Even if your talking sales up to May 2000, on a global basis, for an album released way back in 1972, one million units is going to do every one concerned very nicely indeed. And most of those sales would have occured within two, or three years of release, at a time when very little in the pop/rock world was regularly going platinum, especially a double album, that many at the time were confused by.
10-12-02 01:19 PM
Highwire Rob Yeah, Good eye! I'm looking at that "1 million" sales for exile right now in RS issue 907. At least the album has good company one side in the Readers' Top 100. It's right in front of The Clash's "London Calling" (1979, chart peak 27) which also has 1 million sales. But behind Michael Jackson's "Thriller" -- The Horror! The Horror!

This is an all time Top 100 poll with Linkin Park (#58) and Tool (#27) in it?? What months were those albums made? I guess Rolling Stone mag isn't hurting for young readership. I read the magazine religiously but maybe it's past time they relinquish the name.

'cause "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me. . ."
[Edited by Highwire Rob]