ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks keefkid
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Keefkid
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How can anyone claim that this tour is better than the Licks tour? Return to archive
October 11th, 2005 03:45 PM
DAVINO Hi all,
I saw Giants and Hershey this tour and was well pleased and excited, there is no doubt about that. The Stones bring massive energy and spectacle like no other, but The Licks Tour mixed up the setlist MUCH more, they would play several tunes from a different album each night, they had the internet voted song(Starfucker!, even), they would kick out Can't You Hear Me Knockin'(which, btw, I thought was THE song of the licks tour), Like A Rolling Stone was awesome on the b-stage, Keith would play Happy or Before They Make Me Run, not the same two tunes each night. Don't Stop was cool, too! I honestly think that this tour, while great, is NOT as good as the last. Any thoughts on this?
October 11th, 2005 03:49 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
DAVINO wrote:
Hi all,
I saw Giants and Hershey this tour and was well pleased and excited, there is no doubt about that. The Stones bring massive energy and spectacle like no other, but The Licks Tour mixed up the setlist MUCH more, they would play several tunes from a different album each night, they had the internet voted song(Starfucker!, even), they would kick out Can't You Hear Me Knockin'(which, btw, I thought was THE song of the licks tour), Like A Rolling Stone was awesome on the b-stage, Keith would play Happy or Before They Make Me Run, not the same two tunes each night. Don't Stop was cool, too! I honestly think that this tour, while great, is NOT as good as the last. Any thoughts on this?

From what I've read so far, they are playing more focused, although your complaint is fair about the setlist.....
October 11th, 2005 04:04 PM
Gazza Overall, I think you're right, Davino

The obvious retort would be "well you havent seen them yet on this tour", but then I didnt see them on any tours prior to 1982 and even though most people on these boards werent at the shows in 1969, 1972, 1973 etc, everyone who's heard them has an opinion on them.

The recordings I've heard are a decent enough indication, I think.

My main gripe with the Licks tour was that it was a nostalgia orientated exercise, whereas this one has a bonafide new release (and a good one) to coincide with it.

However, the last tour raised the bar for the Stones to a new level of creativity when it came to digging deep (by their standards) into their back catalogue and varying their shows around a lot. So, it was less of a 'greatest hits' exercise than it could have been. The concept of three different types of shows was unique and inspired.

Bizarrely, theyve managed to make this tour more of a nostalgia exercise of greatest hits than the last one. Its disappointing that they abandoned the original plans to do theatre shows to play larger venues. The uninspiring and 'safe' setlists (compared to the last tour) are an indication that the show is being targetted to the lowest common denominator. At this stage in their career, the band should feel comfortable playing whatever they want. I think its a retrograde step when you're admitting that a large proportion of your audience arent interested in anything but your best known hits and, because you're charging them so much money, you give into that by being their jukebox. The Stones should by now have more leeway from their fans to play what they choose. They've earned that right after 42 years and 350 songs.

I'm not advocating that they go and play a show of rarities or anything. But taking a few chances isnt much to ask.

I'm sure that the shows, when you're there, are very enjoyable and I'm glad to hear reports that the band are playing well and that the sound system is much improved (two things which should be taken for granted at $450 a pop!) but looking at it from a creative standpoint, I think they've gone backwards.

Its very hard to keep topping what you've done before - especially for a band like the Stones - but I'd have liked to have seen them at least try to.

PS : the internet vote was on the BTB tour 1997-98, not the Licks tour.
[Edited by Gazza]
October 11th, 2005 04:13 PM
nankerphelge My biggest gripe with Licks was the sound.
Great songs, mixed it up , blah blah blah

Sound sucked - period!

This tour -- you can hear it all!!

I'll take this one over Licks thanx!
October 11th, 2005 04:29 PM
FPM C10 Yep, I gotta agree, counselor. Besides the sound system being the best in the history of the world (at least it seemed like it to me), they are also playing with a renewed fire that's hard to quantify. Mick and Charlie are just beyond description, Woody's the best he's been in the last 4 tours, and Keith, although the laggard of the bunch, is still Keith, dammit, and that's not to be sneezed at.

Yeah, the setlists were better last tour. They traded that for playing the warhorses like they are what they are - the greatest rock & roll songs anyone's ever written. I was thrilled by every one of them. Have you EVER heard Satisfaction sound better? Huh?
October 11th, 2005 04:31 PM
nankerphelge Yeah -- they are playing with attitude -- noticed it at the opener and Chicago!

Sumthin' to prove!

Lovin' it!
October 11th, 2005 04:51 PM
mmdog
Gazza makes good points as always. However having a great new album makes a big difference to me. The Pittsburgh show was my 10th one since my first one in 1994. I heard six songs I never heard before. I really don't think that's a bad ratio. The Hershey show even gave me a couple of more i never heard before. These stadium shows in ballparks are great. They are slightly smaller than the football stadiums, but still give you the big crowd, and the great summer/early fall outdoor atomsphere. The stage is really impressive too. The sound has been much better than the two indoor shows I saw on the Licks Tour

I know a lot of people will disagree, but I am glad they dumped the theatre shows this tour. Most fans will never get into one. Instead of playing an exclusive theatre show in New York, they are playing bigger shows in place they have not been in for a long time. I think it's better that places like Virginia,Durham,Hershey and Albany are getting shows. Judging by Hershey, the excitement level is really high for these shows.
October 11th, 2005 05:11 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. The setlists were better on Licks, but that's not as important as the actual playing. The boys are firing on all cylinders this tour, they're just jaw-droppingly awesome (especially considering their age). What's more, the horns and backup singers only appear on about the half songs, and when they're not playing they're not even on stage. When I saw the Columbus show, the horns came on stage about halfway through one song (which song I can't remember), they started playing and I tried to listen to them in the mix but I couldn't even hear them, Keith and Ronnie were drowning them out. That's how it should be.
quote:
Like A Rolling Stone was awesome on the b-stage

I for one am glad they FINALLY dropped it. It was ok as a novelty on the VL tour, but it quickly got old, lame and tired. Just because there name is in the title (and it doesn't even have anything to do with them) doesn't mean they have to play it.
October 11th, 2005 06:39 PM
gimmekeef Gee..isnt it a bit early to judge?..So far the sound,guitars and spectacle are better (Chuck Who??) (unless you were at a theater) and as one who has been there I agree with those points.Setlists is big edge to Licks.Nashville 2002 ranks in my top 3 shows while this time Toronto was very good but not top 10.But theres a lot of time left for things to go in either direction....For me what I want is more ABB but I know that isnt going to happen.
October 11th, 2005 06:56 PM
The_Worst THE TOUR IS A BUST!!!
October 11th, 2005 07:10 PM
lonecrapshooter 1 because I attended 8 shows on each tour
2 better sound (better bstage, Ronnie's playing,less backup; etc.)
3 best new album w/ excellent and diverse new songs

[Edited by lonecrapshooter]
October 11th, 2005 10:06 PM
DAVINO It's cool that we all are so passionate about this band, and that they still "bring it" every night! By the way, I think Keith on his knees at The Garden to open the show with Satisfaction was pretty damn good, too! I just watched the Still Life In Seattle dvd's, and they sure have progressed a lot in terms of stage show and continuity and tightness! They will keep getting stronger on this tour, which looks like it will last well into 2006, so "let there be rock"!
[Edited by DAVINO]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)