ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks keefkid
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Keefkid
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham NC-8th October-Setlist, Reviews Photos. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
October 8th, 2005 11:31 PM
glencar You too were at Giants? LOL I missed you girl!
October 9th, 2005 03:16 AM
montana HI-RE pix from The Chronicle

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...56605_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...43926_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...24320_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...02332_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...68409_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...79102_43487.jpg

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vimag...35309_43487.jpg
October 9th, 2005 05:36 AM
Dutch Michael D. Thank You Montana!

this is what we need! very good Quality Large Pix from every show!

Thanks again!

Ciao
October 9th, 2005 06:02 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:

because too many of their target audience evidently dont own the 3rd biggest selling album in the band's career....

Very true!

I like it that keith changes his guitars around more then on licks. On the header he's playing his dan armstrong! (wich song?)
October 9th, 2005 07:54 AM
charlotte Rolling Stones rock 40,000 at Wallace Wade

PhotoGallery:
http://newsobserver.com/content/multimedia/gallery/20051008_stones/

By DAVID MENCONI, STAFF WRITER

DURHAM - Say what you will about the Rolling Stones' current relevance or lack thereof: There just ain't a better band of capital-R Rock Stars in the world. Which seems very out of touch with the age of limitations we're now entering, of course, when spending hundreds of dollars to see a rock show seems like an obscene extravagance. Yet these aging rocker barons can still put on a pretty rousing show.
Saturday night, the Stones drew a near-capacity crowd of around 40,000 souls to Duke University's Wallace Wade Stadium, the biggest crowd there in years. In most ways, it was a thoroughly predictable show - a smattering of songs from the current album, "A Bigger Bang" (Virgin Records); most of the big juggernaut warhorses; cool crowd-interaction interlude; lots of pyrotechnics; a few "surprises." Most predictable of all, it was quite good.

A Stones tour is nothing if not detail-oriented, and every "i" was dotted and "t" crossed before, during and after the show. Seconds after opening act Trey Anastasio finished his set, a battalion-sized road crew went to work setting up for the headliners, accomplishing the task about as quickly as a typical NASCAR pit stop.

This tour's stage backdrop is a massive structure that looks like a butterfly-shaped apartment building, with extra seats above and behind the band (concert-goers earned those seats through a text-messaging contest). As a bomb-sniffing dog checked the stage, one roadie gave it a quick sweep with a pushbroom as a few others removed the sponsorship banners from each side of the stage.

After an introductory video that seemed oddly similar to what you'd see in a movie theater (I kept expecting a message to flash, "Welcome to Carmike Cinemas!"), fireworks shot above the stage as the band came out and kicked off the inevitable first song, "Start Me Up." A couple of songs later, someone from the road crew went to each usher in front of the stage and made them all take one step backward so they’d be lined up straight.

The early part of the set concentrated on B-list favorites, with as many as a dozen musicians wailing away on some songs. Early selections included "You Got Me Rockin'" and "She's So Cold" (honestly, one of the silliest knockoffs they’ve ever done).

It did take a while to get over the cadaverous visual impression they made, especially when the video screen behind the stage showed 25-year-old video footage of the band during "She's So Cold." Mick Jagger appears to be shriveling away to nothing but bones and cartilage, Ron Wood has wrinkles the depth of the Marianas Trench and Keith Richards looked positively embalmed. Still cooler than just about anyone else on the planet, but embalmed, and don't think he doesn't know it.

"Good to see you all," he quipped during his obligatory two-song vocal cameo. "Good to see anything!"

One pleasant surprise was "Wild Horses," the Stones' Gram Parsons tribute, on which Jagger strummed an acoustic guitar; the line, "I've got my freedom but I don't have much time" has acquired more resonance now that Jagger is over 60. That led to "Dead Flowers," another song from the twangier pages of the Stones songbook. Also quite nice was a tribute to the late great Ray Charles with "Nighttime Is the Right Time," with a house-shaking vocal from backup singer Lisa Fischer.

During "Miss You," part of the stage detached and traveled out on a track into the audience, coming to rest toward the back of the stadium for a couple of songs. The sound for this part of the show was actually rather poor and echo-plagued, but that didn't stop a woman from removing her bra and heaving it at Wood (who hung it from Jagger's microphone stand between guitar solos). And the echoes created an interesting off-beat effect for "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

Then it was back to the main stage during "Honky Tonk Women," where a huge psychedelic inflatable tongue-and-lips logo awaited. There was one more also-ran ("Out of Control"), but then it was one classic after another -- "Sympathy for the Devil," "Brown Sugar," "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and an encore of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "It's Only Rock and Roll."

We shall not see their like again.

Staff writer David Menconi can be reached at (919)829-4759, http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat or [email protected].

[Edited by charlotte]
October 9th, 2005 10:54 AM
jb "near capacity"...another non-sell out..............apologize to me later.
October 9th, 2005 11:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Montana, yesterday I was looking for pix at that website and three other Durham newspapers websites until I went to sleep with no luck, great you are in other time schedule and found it
October 9th, 2005 11:20 AM
montana anytime
you see, when i woke up and took a look at the newspaper websites there was only one pic in one of them...but a bit later i found all those...
it took them a bit to upload the pix sometimes, in past shows, sometimes i can find them when i check the sites in the morning, but others they're not avaibable till midday (here)or so
October 9th, 2005 11:21 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Stones draw fans from spectrum of age groups
BY PAUL BONNER : The Herald-Sun
[email protected]
Oct 8, 2005 : 10:59 pm ET

DURHAM -- For a buildup that traded heavily on the band's longevity, all was made young again as Mick Jagger pranced, Keith Richards and Ron Wood traded guitar licks, and Wallace Wade Stadium's fans howled with glee.

The Rolling Stones brought their "A Bigger Bang" tour to Duke University on Saturday with what appeared to be a sell-out crowd. Fans, in turn, brought memories of the past shows they'd seen and high expectations for this one.

With the apparent median age of concertgoers well past halfway to AARP eligibility, there was room for some multigenerational appreciation, as well.

Daniel Emmett Sr. and Jr. were there together from Lexington, and Stones appeal spanned their age spread of 25 years, they said.

Daniel Sr., like many in the crowd, remembered the band from their "Steel Wheels" tour in 1989.

"They've got a great record this year," he said, referring to the new album by the same name as the current tour.

"I think it's pretty special," Daniel Jr. concurred.

A play on the Stones' song title "Sympathy for the Devil," with a slightly more sinister Duke Blue Devil motif, figured on a T-shirt that sold with others in the stadium for $35 and $45. Two men plied the Towerview Drive entrance to the stadium before the concert, hawking flashing pins with the Stones' tongue-lolling logo, $10 apiece.

And, of course, tickets had folks shelling out $350 for field-level seats. The stadium, which officials had said would hold 36,000, appeared full.

Matt Skiko of Raleigh was in the 11th row for his 40th birthday present from his wife, Debbie, who was with him, complete with a limousine ride to the stadium. He had last seen the Stones 11 years ago.

"We're having an absolute ball," he said, before the music had even started. "Seize the moment, you know, carpe diem," Skiko said.

Someone else was having a birthday, too. Lead act Trey Anastasio dedicated a song to his mother, who was in the crowd on her birthday, he announced. The former Phish guitarist got the crowd to its feet with the band's songs and a cover of the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus."

Timothy Tilghman from Baltimore arrived without a ticket but scored a $245 on-stage seat for $91, which was all he had on him, he said. Tilghman, who operates a Web site called RockonTour.net, said it was the 98th Stones concert he has attended.

"The 11th on this tour, the seventh U.S. tour, the 12th overall," he said, rattling off the venues, including several overseas. "I don't think I could go to every show personally," he added. "That would be ... ."

The statement was left unfinished because he accosted a passing a woman wearing a T-shirt from the current tour's initial engagement in Boston.

"You were in Boston?" he asked the shirt's wearer, Nancy Falcone, who was with her husband, Mike. They said they won the Boston tickets and trip there in a radio station contest in New Bern, but wanted more, so they came to Duke. They also saw the Stones in '89 in Raleigh.

"Carter-Finley! I was there! Twenty-five bucks!" Tilghman exclaimed.

Not everyone was so sanguine.

"I don't listen to rock and roll," admitted Joann Tippett, who with her husband Dale, came from Middlesex, near Rocky Mount. She prefers country music, but honored her husband's enthusiasm for the band, she said.

"I've been waiting for this for 20 years," Dale Tippett said.

Several would-be sellers of extra tickets appeared to have few prospective takers.

Evyenia Dunlap held up a couple, saying a relative she had hoped to bring was ill, and she wasn't feeling so well herself.

"I think most people who are coming have got their tickets already," she said. "Actually, it's very low-key compared to most concerts like this," she said as concertgoers gathered near the gate.

But as the 80-foot-tall stage spouted fireworks about 8:45 and the band launched into "Start Me Up," the atmosphere was anything but low-key.

"There's nothing bigger and better than the Rolling Stones," said Daniel Emmett Sr.
October 9th, 2005 11:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The pix from the News Oberver, thank you Charlotte

October 9th, 2005 06:17 PM
TomL Duke was so organized. They had tons fo free shuttles a block from the hotel. MARTHA it was so nice to see you again. Thankk you for the very nice gift. Glad you could stop by. It's always a pleasure. MSG 1/20/06 sister.

Off to Philly tomorrow. I am a true stones fan, but the worst gotta go, whats up keef????????? Gotta go to bed.
October 9th, 2005 06:27 PM
glencar Yes, I was glad to see the Worst the first 4 times but it's getting older than Bill Wyman!
October 9th, 2005 06:30 PM
Scottfree
quote:
glencar wrote:
The applause for Charlie hasn't been as sustained on this tour.

+
This tour is a bust...
October 9th, 2005 06:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That pic of Charlie is great so great (posted by Montana as a link) but I have doubts about where it was taken as the sun light is so clear and the show was at night and raining
October 9th, 2005 09:45 PM
codester Hey everyone!

What a show in Durham last night. Amazing!!!

I've posted my pictures from the show on http://www.rollingstonesgallery.com

If you have pictures from the show will you please post them as well.

I also took some short video clips with sound. I'll list the links below.

http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01343.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01345.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01349.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01350.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01355.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01369.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01374.wmv
http://www.codymedia.net/durham/MOV01358.wmv

Hope you enjoy these. Cant wait for Atlanta!

-Cody
October 9th, 2005 09:51 PM
jb You are 100% correct Glencar..I posted it from day one-shocked at the lack of standing ovation for Charlie ....last tour they bowed to him ..this tour it's like a minor applause thing..same for Keith...Ronnie gets the loudest b/c of the way Mick introduces him and he is fan friendly!!! The only time Mick and Keith acknowlege each other is that awkward walk with ahnds held up as Mick introduces Keith and Keith Nods as to introduce Mick.........
October 9th, 2005 10:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great first post codester, that was so cool. Welcome to the board. I have not seen your pix or watched the video clips but I'm sure it's a great contribution
October 10th, 2005 06:14 AM
charlotte Welcome codester !!! Thanks for the clips!
October 10th, 2005 07:39 AM
charlotte Hats off to the Duke University officials in putting together an outstanding event-No hassles at all!

Also, the sound quality of the three shows I have attended has been so good, first rate, it's like seeing/hearing the band for the first time...in many years

[Edited by charlotte]
October 10th, 2005 09:51 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
You are 100% correct Glencar..I posted it from day one-shocked at the lack of standing ovation for Charlie ....last tour they bowed to him ..this tour it's like a minor applause thing..same for Keith...Ronnie gets the loudest b/c of the way Mick introduces him and he is fan friendly!!! The only time Mick and Keith acknowlege each other is that awkward walk with ahnds held up as Mick introduces Keith and Keith Nods as to introduce Mick.........

In Milwaukee Charlie got a good midwestern heartfelt welcome and as the band moves west the applause for Charlie will grow
October 10th, 2005 10:35 AM
moy Generations rally in support of The Stones
Posted: 10.10.2005
Katie Lowney

There is a reason my ticket cost $113.65.

Never mind that the opening band was completely unremarkable.

Never mind that Mick Jagger welcomed students from Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill, but made no mention of N.C. State.

And never mind that The Rolling Stones did not play "Paint it Black," "Ruby Tuesday" or "Get Off of My Cloud."

None of this is important -- because Saturday night at Duke's Wallace Wade Stadium, The Rolling Stones blew my mind.

On a stage that included a four-story high screen with four stories of balcony seating on either side, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts lived up to their self-proclaimed title: "The Greatest Rock-and-Roll Band in the World."

The Stones began its two-hour set with "Start Me Up" and from that point on I was too enthralled to pay much attention to the set list. From where I was sitting, the aging rockers were only about half a centimeter tall, but they are such powerful performers, they don't necessarily need to be seen in order for one to appreciate the raw energy.

At 62, Mick Jagger is still the sexiest thing I have ever seen on a stage. He strutted, gyrated and flat out ran back and forth across the enormous stage, flailing his arms and belting lyrics like he's 20 years old.

Wearing black leather pants, a studded belt and a tiny black T-shirt with sequins around the neck and shoulders, he embodies everything a rock star should be.

The legendary Keith Richards is everything you would expect. Early in the show, he took the mic for a couple songs, and while he was introducing them with his ever-present cigarette in hand, someone told him there was no smoking in the stadium.

"Sorry, I didn't realize," he said casually as he tossed the burning cigarette to the stage floor.

He is officially the most laid-back rock genius in history.

Towards the beginning of the set, The Stones did a cover of Ray Charles' "(Night Time Is) The Right Time" as homage to an old friend.

This cover served as a reminder of the variety of artists who influenced the band. Even the music that played on the loudspeakers prior to the show reminded the audience of The Stones's wide-ranging influences. As the audience waited for the show, we listened to Franz Ferdinand, Ray Charles, 80s electronica, Motown and disco.

About halfway through the show, a section of the stage with the entire band on it moved along a track into the middle of the stadium.

The giant screen was turned off and the light show was put on hold while the spotlights focused on the platform now in the middle of a sea of people. It was here that The Stones played "Satisfaction."

The audience went crazy.

Children and their grandparents alike lost themselves in a song that will live on forever as one of the greatest in rock history.

Then the rain began.

They were soft sprinkles, like someone had turned on a giant mist machine, but they were enough to prompt Mick to say, "I knew it would bloody rain."

They played "Rough Justice," a song from the new album, and then rode back to the main stage.

With the light rain still coming, the stage lit up red and the screen displayed a black and white snakeskin pattern.

Fire shot from the stage and "Sympathy for the Devil" began. The audience took it upon itself to sing the "whoo, whoo" parts for the entire song.

I will forever be convinced that our whoo-whooing was what put a stop to the rain.

The audience was a huge in factor in how this show blew my mind.

To get an impression of the general make-up of the audience, let's take a quick look at the people who were sitting around us. To our right was a woman who is probably a bank teller during the day. She was in her 40s wearing gold-rimmed bifocals, a flashing tongue pin and either earplugs or a hearing aid. In front of us was a grey-haired man in a Harley-Davidson shirt who alternately smoked pot and Black and Milds throughout the show. To our left was a man who looked remarkably like Mel Gibson, but danced like Forrest Gump wearing leg braces and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

And then there's us. Too young to legally procure alcohol and wearing extreme rock-and-roll eye make-up with low-rise jeans, we were some of the youngest people there whose parents didn't purchase our tickets for us.

Any band that can bring these people together to sing "You Can't Always Get What You Want," but recognize that you get what you need, truly is the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world.
October 10th, 2005 11:21 AM
SweetVirginia Wow, Codestar...that was fun watching your
clips. A nice "stones fix" while I wait for them to
come back to NY in January!

Thanks for posting them.
October 10th, 2005 11:32 AM
charlotte

Duke Event T-shirt
There was no "Sympathy for the Devil" when the Stones rocked Duke University on October 8, 2005. Commemorate this special stop on the Bigger Bang Tour with the shirt designed specifically for the Duke Blue Devils.

[Edited by charlotte]
October 10th, 2005 02:54 PM
Madafaka Thank you Montana, awesome pix!
October 10th, 2005 07:01 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
"near capacity"...another non-sell out..............apologize to me later.

I asked security at the show and they told me the ticket count was 43,000.
October 10th, 2005 07:05 PM
Martha
quote:
TomL wrote:
Duke was so organized. They had tons fo free shuttles a block from the hotel. MARTHA it was so nice to see you again. Thankk you for the very nice gift. Glad you could stop by. It's always a pleasure. MSG 1/20/06 sister.

Off to Philly tomorrow. I am a true stones fan, but the worst gotta go, whats up keef????????? Gotta go to bed.

It was WONDERFUL TO SEE YOU AGAIN!!!! Glad you liked the gift. I'll bring something to top that when we meet again......and I hope to be at both MSG shows!

The night time IS the right time!

love and hugs,
Martha
October 10th, 2005 07:06 PM
charlotte Both UVA and DU were packed...Martha is correct, a Duke Ticket official stated Sunday that 43,000 tickets were sold and counted...
October 10th, 2005 07:07 PM
Martha
quote:
charlotte wrote:

Duke Event T-shirt
There was no "Sympathy for the Devil" when the Stones rocked Duke University on October 8, 2005. Commemorate this special stop on the Bigger Bang Tour with the shirt designed specifically for the Duke Blue Devils.

[Edited by charlotte]

I got one of those!
October 11th, 2005 09:38 PM
jb I need a xx-large Duke Tee..I am really putting on weight with the new meds...40 1bs in 2 years!!!
October 12th, 2005 10:41 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
I need a xx-large Duke Tee..I am really putting on weight with the new meds...40 1bs in 2 years!!!

By the time we got to the table they only had smalls left and thank goodness I am child size......it is really small! But equally cool!

JB to lose that weight I recommend that you Stop drinking pop even the so-called calorie free crap if you drink it at all. Start drinking organic roasted green tea ( a pot a day) I prefer and recommend Eden brand Hojicha. I've been drinking it almost daily for 2 years and I swear by it. I take it on the road it is so soothing and has very little caffeine. The tea not only will help to fill you up so you won't be as hungry if your appetite is OTT ( but do not add any sweetner or this won't work) you will be fully hydrated. LOL The tea cleans your body of toxins and adds antioxidants, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-imflammatory (which you NEED for that back pain madness) properties. I urge you to try it.

Get off dairy if you over eat it and eat more veggies and fruit. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day as well and the weight will begin to melt away.

Your back does not need that extra weight.....

I love you darlin'!

These are all suggestions as they work for me....take what you like and leave the rest.

peace out!
Your sister Martha
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)