ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks keefkid
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Keefkid
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October-Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
October 7th, 2005 03:58 AM
Jeep Daily Progress pictures :

Pictures Richmond Times Dispatch :

[Edited by Jeep]
October 7th, 2005 05:55 AM
Jeep From the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Concert interrupted while police, dogs search stage
By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM
Associated Press Writer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/apmethods/apstory?urlfeed=D8D2U508C.xml

The Rolling Stones left the stage at the University of Virginia's Scott Stadium on Thursday night and were replaced by several police officers and three bomb-sniffing dogs.

The show resumed after about a half-hour intermission. University, state and city police did not immediately return phone calls about the incident, and no announcements were made to the audience about the reason for the break.

About eight songs into the show, lead singer Mick Jagger announced that authorities had told them to take a 10-minute break. The stage and about the first 20 rows of spectators were cleared until the police finished their work.

Earlier, Carl Sparacino sat on the steps of his dormitory, listening to the music emanating from the stadium.

Usually he's inside, cheering on the football team, but Thursday night he chose free music rather than buying a ticket to the big show.

"You can hear it pretty much as well from here as you could from inside," the 18-year-old freshman from Fairfax said.

The Rolling Stones made the first of only two campus stops on their tour in Charlottesville, with the second coming Saturday at Duke University in Durham, N.C.

The two shows also are the only ones on the "A Bigger Bang" tour featuring Trey Anastasio as the opening act. Anastasio, the former Phish front man known best for his live performances, has a reputation for drawing large college-age crowds.

The crowd Thursday night, however, was a blend of students and older fans who likely have been listening to the Stones for decades.

"It's funny to see these middle-age people trying to be like they're in high school and college again," said Dan Nicotera, 20, of Fairfax, as he watched the crowd streaming toward the stadium. "For most of us in college it's, `Oh, the Rolling Stones are here.' For them it's more significant."

Spectators lined the hills, streets and balconies around the 61,000-seat stadium, which last hosted a concert in 2000 featuring hometown heroes, the Dave Matthews Band.

Anthony Brazeau, 15, and his father Mark were among those who waited in line for the gates to open. Ticket prices ranging from $60 to $350 did not deter the elder Brazeau from taking his son to first real concert.

"For me, this is a great environment rather than going to D.C. or Philly, where it's a big city and it's dangerous," the Richmond man said. "This is such a comfortable place to bring your kid for his first big concert."

Three years ago, his son converted from the sounds of Blink 182 and Sum 41 to classic acts like the Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Who.

"It's a multi-generation thing," Mark Brazeau said.

While fans like the Brazeaus waited to get inside, student T.J. Bateman enjoyed talking to patrons parking on his front lawn _ for $50, of course.

"We're just going to sit on the roof and listen," said the 20-year-old Bateman. "Tickets are just too expensive."
October 7th, 2005 07:22 AM
John Wood Keith has pulled out his black 72 tele custom!!! Other than the cover of Rolling Stone I have not seen him with this guitar since the 93 Wino's tour when he used it for open G tuning!!!! Hopfully the sixth string is back on and he is using it for standard tuning the way he used it on the 81 78 76 75 and the 79 (Barbarian) tours!!
October 7th, 2005 09:38 AM
LeedsLungs71 Great pictures!
October 7th, 2005 10:33 AM
nankerphelge I was wondering last night when the news broke that maybe Virginia's finest were lookin' for a drug bust of our heros!
October 7th, 2005 10:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
OMG...this is horrible.

Doug is backstage.....doubt they'll return

are these two facts connected?

(sorry Doug - couldnt resist!)
October 7th, 2005 11:31 AM
jb aS i SAID, IF YOU WAITED AND WERE PATIENT, YOU COULD GET GREAT SEATS..IT WAS NOT A SELL-OUT AS THEY ORIGINALLY CLAIMED 68K SOLD..LOL tICKETS WERE GOING FOR LESS THAN A 1/3 OUTSIDE STADIUM. fUCK ALLOF YOU WHO QUESTIONED MY ADVICE ON WAITING AND THE FACT NO SHOWS HAD REALLY SOLD OUT..FUCKING ASS HOLES!!! aND pLEASE COME GREET ME AND TELL ME TO FUCK OFF TO MY FACE,...
[Edited by jb]
October 7th, 2005 11:40 AM
keefkid god I have to say something...just reading over this thread and it had to be pretty friggin' scary when it first happened not knowing whats going on .... but GOD DAMN the Stones ROCK any other friggin band would have been long gone but not them, FU U FN FS cant scare us off we dont care bout no stinking 'bomb threat' RIP THIS JOINT and drive myself rite over the wall...!!!!!!!!

No band ever and no band ever will come even close to them, they ROCK and they GOT BALLS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait for Philly Sweet Virginia please please please
October 7th, 2005 11:43 AM
jb I wasn';t the least scares..I was on a message board and all these weiners were like crying and falling apart..it was a fucking hoax,,,we get them all the time..rememeber the color chart bullshit d=from our former HOmeland security Czar.pink, yellow, red, blue, viloet,,,,,,,,,,,,,fuck em all
October 7th, 2005 01:28 PM
monkey_man
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I was wondering last night when the news broke that maybe Virginia's finest were lookin' for a drug bust of our heros!

Pats or Jim's Steaks on South Street! Are you from Philly?
October 7th, 2005 02:14 PM
Saint Sway I noticed they still did their standard 21 songs even with ommitting Keiths set.

has anyone seen the original set list?

I wonder what was added to fill Keith's slot?
October 7th, 2005 04:11 PM
kath josh, i was on the message/chat room last night. i assume i am the weiner of whom you speak?

October 7th, 2005 05:59 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I noticed they still did their standard 21 songs even with ommitting Keiths set.

has anyone seen the original set list?

I wonder what was added to fill Keith's slot?

They only played 20 songs last night not 21. From what I can gather, they played everything they were going to play but substituted MR for Keith's The Worst and Infamy.
October 7th, 2005 06:18 PM
monkey_man Stones Held Up by Hoax Bomb Threat
Legendary rockers the Rolling Stones were forced from stage during a concert in Virginia Thursday night after a bomb scare.

An anonymous call was made to the University of Virginia's Scott Stadium in Charlottesville at 9 pm that police say was "specific to the stage area."

After lead singer Mick Jagger was informed he told the crowd of 50,000 the band would take a 10-minute break. They returned 45 minutes later after being given the all clear by cops who searched the stage with sniffer dogs.
October 7th, 2005 07:05 PM
sammy davis jr. So JB- If I hold out for say, Chicago on Jan. 23rd, you think I can score good seats on day of show?
October 7th, 2005 07:07 PM
72Tele
quote:
John Wood wrote:
Keith has pulled out his black 72 tele custom!!! Other than the cover of Rolling Stone I have not seen him with this guitar since the 93 Wino's tour when he used it for open G tuning!!!! Hopfully the sixth string is back on and he is using it for standard tuning the way he used it on the 81 78 76 75 and the 79 (Barbarian) tours!!

October 8th, 2005 08:43 AM
corgi37 What has the band said since? Did Keith come out and say anything?

And, fair enough evacutating the 1st 20 rows.

But what if you were in row 21?
October 8th, 2005 02:52 PM
kath some people'd bitch even if you hung 'em with a new rope!!!
October 8th, 2005 08:31 PM
patioaintdry
quote:
John Wood wrote:
Keith has pulled out his black 72 tele custom!!! Other than the cover of Rolling Stone I have not seen him with this guitar since the 93 Wino's tour when he used it for open G tuning!!!! Hopfully the sixth string is back on and he is using it for standard tuning the way he used it on the 81 78 76 75 and the 79 (Barbarian) tours!!

October 9th, 2005 06:09 PM
TomL On a run and got a few hours to rest before Philly tomorrow. What can anyone say, it was a bummer. We had to be moved out of our seats for an hour. Hope they catch the bastard. Thanks LJ.
October 9th, 2005 10:11 PM
jb Only 50k when they said 68k sold out originally.
October 10th, 2005 10:30 AM
moy Rolling with The Stones
Marisa Roman, Cavalier Daily Perspective

Photos By Laura Michael | Cavalier Daily

Your parents boasted about seeing The Rolling Stones when they were strapping British rebels complete with skulls and rattlesnakes. You can boast to your children that you saw them when they could be mistaken for your grandparents' hippie friends in Scott Stadium when you should have been writing that 20-page paper on God's existence. You can brag that you witnessed four wrinkled men basking in their rock 'n' roll glory and enjoying their global iconic status.

But you cannot brag that you spent the day as their "roadie."

As a member of the University Program Council's PK German committee, I had the opportunity to help Clear Channel Productions with the preparations before, during and after The Rolling Stones show. The jobs offered were to assist in the building of the stage five days before the concert, building the fences to prevent bystanders from viewing the set and helping with the hospitality and production management though The Next Adventure (TNA), a subsidiary of Clear Channel.

Feeling that my "vertically challenged" stature would not provide much help with the construction of the stage, I opted to help the hospitality committee. Furthermore, the idea of perhaps carrying Keith Richards's guitar or Mick Jagger's fedora seemed more enticing than lifting steel barriers.

Caffeinated and bleary-eyed, I trudged to Bryant Hall Thursday with the limited expectations of gaining little more than a few measly dollars for my troubles. At first, my dim prophecies of the day came true as I was relegated to the Bryant Hall garage to watch Clear Channel employees sip javas in golf carts and to heckle the University students. After all, we appeared to be dumb enough to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch a rousing game of "musical golf carts" as a few workers drove them around and arranged them in various parking positions.

In addition, Mother Nature refused to cooperate by providing a constant drizzle to dampen the spirits of the UPC workers. Feeling slightly down about my prospects for the day, I walked through the Scott Stadium tunnels to the Clear Channel office to pass the time until a "gopher" errand was needed. To my surprise, I was offered a job that would enable me to earn a hefty sum and occupy me for the remainder of the day.

A representative from Clear Channel Entertainment, Mitch Martin, offered me the job of decorating the press box where the benefactors of the new John Paul Jones Arena would be enjoying the show. I accepted gratefully and abandoned my fellow comrades, who later separated skull heads and rubber rattlesnakes for The Rolling Stones lounge.

When I arrived at the press box, I was greeted by a floral arrangement in the shape of The Rolling Stones tongue icon. Using red and white carnations and the Black Eyed Susan heads, a designer had replicated the tongue perfectly. The rest of the press box, however, looked like a mini football Hall of Fame. According to my boss for the day, it was my job to conceal the athletic atmosphere of the room and decorate it for the show. Post Office boxes replete with Christmas lights, tapestries, banners and confetti were stacked against a wall waiting for me to plunge into them.

I didn't feel the need to start right away, considering that the catering business would not be arriving for another seven hours. I opened the porch door to the outside of the press box and absorbed the atmosphere of the stadium. The final touches on the colossal stage were being hammered, the folding chairs were being arranged into four columns and the pyrotechnics were being tested. Tiny spurts of fire and explosives flew up into the cloudy sky, arousing cheers from the workers. Don Henley music thundered from the massive sound system. It was the perfect mood for creating a "rock star" ambience in the press box.

After stringing Christmas lights, lighting candles and thumb-tacking tapestries for three hours, Rick presented me with an additional reward to the subsequent check: a VIP pass and a free ticket to the show. I would be allowed to sit in the press box, enjoy a catered meal and have full access to the backstage area. My excitement concealed my prior grief at untangling another box of Christmas lights and directing security guards through the stadium.

Despite my luck, the best part of my day was not until two hours before The Rolling Stones' set. I kept the guests comfortable in the press box during the opening act by making sure their coconut shrimp and water crescents were plentiful and by calmly explaining why U.Va. students were working behind the scenes. Then Rick gave me a quick break and, as I was trying to leave the press box, I was interrogated by an elderly security officer about my experiences as a teenager. ("Are you one of those hoodlums that I hear from my house off Stadium?")

The crowds were difficult to meander through, but as an experienced New York City shopper, I managed to duck and dodge potential dangers. I wandered to the entrance of Bryant Hall (past the remaining tailgaters) to see if I could swipe a golf cart to amuse myself.

The crowd in the foyer was much larger than it had been before the opening act, Trey Anastasio, had started. TV and radio stations had set up a tiny hub looking to catch a glimpse of one of the Stones. Making use of my press pass, I moved past the security guard with ease and found myself inside The Rolling Stones' lounge, the Rattlesnake Inn.

The room was decorated with black tapestries and lace with skulls hanging off them. Rubber snakes were scattered about the room. The smell of gourmet food pervaded the air. I made my way over to the catering table to see if there were any "normal" foods rather than the ones upstairs. And then, I saw him.

It was not hard to pick Keith Richards out from the crowd. His hands were decorated by many rings, and his hair was up in a headband. A few people were next to him as he examined the food. Not about to pass up this opportunity, I pretended to be interested in some gourmet entity and introduced myself. Mr. Richards shook my hand and smiled after I said that the campus had been buzzing about the show since it had been announced last May. Grinning from ear to ear, I bounced back up the stairs to the press box and eagerly called my best friend to tell her about my brush with a rock legend.

As most of the attendees said, The Rolling Stones performed an amazing set, despite the delay from the bomb scare. Even in their ripe old age, these men know how to get a crowd excited from start to finish. I enjoyed the show from the press box while bumping hips with a middle-aged woman and keeping a party girl from throwing herself over the edge of the box. The clean-up, however, was a disaster. After the guests had left, I reorganized the Post Office boxes, swept the floor, and departed at 1:15 a.m. My job was finally finished, and my paycheck of almost $200 would arrive in about three weeks.

The experience of working for the gods of rock 'n' roll was one I will never forget. I still have Keith Richards' hand sweat on my palm.

Last chance to see The Rolling Bones?

Molly Seltzer, Cavalier Daily Perspective
Photos By Laura Michael | Cavalier Daily

I've been to a lot of concerts in my time. I've seen big bands, little bands, good bands, bad bands, rubber bands -- you name it, I've had that experience.

And while it wasn't the most fantastic show I've ever witnessed, The Rolling Stones concert is something I won't forget for a long time.

It all began with a press pass. Cav Daily photographer extraordinaire, Laura Michael, and I started our journey by trekking to the stadium. There were rivers of people streaming in from all directions; I kind of felt like a white blood cell in a vein.

When we arrived at the ticket pick-up place, we were separated immediately. Laura went straight to the front lines -- she was so close to the stage that she was told to turn around when the pyrotechnics went off so that her eyebrows wouldn't be singed. I told her to face forward and let them sizzle a little. Now wouldn't that be a story to tell the grandkids.

But the real stories came when the army-green Rolling Stones van hurtled by me, into the underbelly of Scott Stadium. I was there to watch as the Stones stumbled out of the car. I was there to high-five Mick Jagger as he made his way backstage. Thirty seconds later, I was there to run to the bathroom screaming for antiseptic. (True story.)

And then things really got zany. I was handed my ticket and sent on my way. As I pushed through the crowds of people (still feeling like a blood cell, mind you), I got increasingly more nervous. As a small-town girl, being isolated in a crowd of 50,000+ people is not exactly in my sphere of experience. My comfort zone extends out to encompass about three people and a sheep. I can do a sheep and a half on a good day.

As expected, I got lost. It didn't help that when they tore my ticket, they ripped off some of the important information -- namely, the bit that said I had field seating. No wonder I couldn't find my row in the stadium.

Here's a trick I learned from my small-town life: If you look friendly and helpless enough, at some point or another, an old man will stop to help you.

Luckily enough, this particular old man was one of the seating guys. Our conversation went a little something like this:

"You look very excited," he said.

"Actually, I'm kind of lost."

"Kind of?"

"Well, I guess I'm all the way lost."

"That's just about the same thing as being excited, isn't it?"

"Umm, can you help me find my seat?"

"I certainly can, little miss."

I've never been called "little miss" in my life. It was like talking to an imaginary grandfather. I half-expected him to slip me a Werther's Original and ask if I had a boyfriend yet.

To my great surprise, my free press pass was for a seat on the field, three rows from the stage. Not bad, considering the couple behind me paid more than $700 for their two tickets.

So there I sat, in the midst of old-people affluence and young-people ignorance (admit it, you didn't actually know the words to most of the songs). I was counting the veins in Mick Jagger's neck from 100 yards away, mashed between a guy who kept talking about the weed at Woodstock and another guy with heroin tracks on his arms. During one exciting moment, Heroin Guy scratched a scab off his arm and blood started spurting on me.

I am not lying. I'm not even exaggerating. It wasn't a trickle, or a small stream or even a flood. It was a geyser! There is still a glob of it on my jeans, which I have placed in a biohazard bag and left on my balcony. It's like they always say: You never know how health-paranoid you are until you go to a Stones concert.

The band took the stage, and they were looking pretty good (for cadavers). Never mind the fact that their legs were as skinny as the necks of their guitars. Never mind the fact that with each pelvic rotation I was worried that Jagger would thrust a hip out of place. I found myself wondering if they did limbering up exercises during the breaks between songs. Perhaps they had a store of Ensure backstage. I mean, a guy's gotta get his calcium somehow.

My section was evacuated during The Bomb Threat, or The Bomb Diggity, as I like to call it. We filed to the back of the stadium, where we were protected by the masses of Port-A-Johns that stood solidly in front of us. Then, about an hour later, we filed back to our seats and the band started again.

I enjoyed the music and the crowd and the costume changes. Thank goodness there were no wardrobe malfunctions or dislocated limbs as Jagger shimmied out of one sparkly jacket into another. When each new top was revealed, "Heroin Guy" muttered, "Oh, God," but I found myself thinking more along the lines of, "Oh, gaudy."

Still, I was digging it. So what if The Stones wore Hot Topic-esque studded belts? I don't mind temporarily losing my sight due to the blinding glare from the light on their sequined hats. The Stones put on a good show. I liked watching Mick prance around on the stage. (Man, does that guy have a wack-ass walk. I wonder what he looks like hurrying through an airport.)

I do wish that the blow-up tongue could have stayed around a little longer, that Keith Richards would have actually exhibited some personality, and honestly, I missed seeing CavMan on the 'Tron, but for the most part, I was a happy customer. I got some satisfaction.

Granted, after the break, they didn't all start the song at exactly the same time, but eventually everybody in the band got into it. They weren't playing the notes in exactly the same rhythm, but everybody was playing something. And I wasn't mouthing exactly the right words, but I –- and everybody else in the crowd -- was singing something. And The Stones are probably too senile to tell the difference anyway.

Molly Seltzer is a writer for the Tableau section.
October 13th, 2005 10:08 AM
gypsy THE ROLLING STONES perform live to 65, 000 fans as there Bigger Bang Tour rocks Scott Stadium located on the campus of The University of Virginia. Earlier in the evening the concert was stopped as Law Enforcement searched for a bomb. The concert resumed 30 minutes later and they finished out there set.

All photos courtesy of Jason Moore/Zuma Press
October 13th, 2005 03:47 PM
montana woohoo!!! amazing pix, love the first two pix of mick i only have them watermarked
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)