ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people! -- post a pic of yourself here! PART III
From the Netherlands: SisterM, Erwan aka Highway Child, and Dick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stevie Ray Vaugn on PBS(NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-07-03 01:54 PM
jb This weekend on my local PBS station, they had SRV concert on. After viewing this , I have concluded that SRV may have been the greatest guitar player ever.
10-07-03 01:56 PM
egon jb,

isn't stevie dead.

tell m i'm right THIS time...?
10-07-03 01:56 PM
egon i mean, come on, somebody has to be dead.

right?
10-07-03 02:01 PM
jb He died in a Helicopter crash in the mid-80's. I saw him in concert one time in 84, and he was great.
10-07-03 02:03 PM
egon finaly i get something right!
10-07-03 02:19 PM
Martha I caught that too thanks for posting it JB. The SRV Austin City Limits outtakes will air on Thursday this week on the Cincy PBS station. I'll be taping! I was fortunate enough to see Stevie in the late 80's in Athens, OH...up close and personal...it was amazing.
10-07-03 08:55 PM
lonecrapshooter Esq. JB are you sure it was mid-80's?
10-08-03 01:32 AM
Phog Stevie Ray died in August of '90, I believe.
[Edited by Phog]
10-08-03 01:45 AM
parmeda He died August 27, 1990.
I remember that date well...saw him walk off the stage at Alpine Valley for his very last time.

jb...Stevie was incredible.
10-08-03 06:53 AM
Jumacfly Hi Phog the catholics in your avatar!!!!
GREAT!!!
the show is next month, i ll give you my report of course!!
and i haven t forgotten your words for mr Black....

Cheers
JU

anyway, SRV was great, his show with albert King rules!!
10-08-03 07:06 AM
fmk438j a small story.

I got into a cab to go home one night, and as soon as I get in the guy asks me "Do I like blues?". I say well yeah (to be honest I don't own or know much). He presses play and it's a disc of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King called Live in Concert or something simple like that.

That a cabbie is into music is surprising in the first instance, but this guy was totally IN to that disc, and to one song in particular. He was all tense and hunched up over the wheel slapping it at every note. He'd quote all the tiny vocals and comments of the track about 1/2 second before it was played. This guy was in ecstacy.

As we started up the narrow winding road to my house he was doing about 100km/h (I saw it on the speedo). Not only was he 30k's over the limit, he was cutting all the corners. All the time slapping the wheel and singing. I was shitting myself.

[Edited by fmk438j]
10-08-03 07:26 AM
Jumacfly nice story man!!
10-08-03 10:24 AM
Phog Jumacfly,

From what I understand Mr. Black and the Catholics are doing several shows in France. If you've got a little spare time (and Euros) you might consider catching more than one show. Hopefully you won't have to travel too far. Also, he's been known to do in-store appearances. As the show date nears you should call around to your local record shops to see if one of these appearances will be happening. Good luck!!!
10-08-03 10:33 AM
T&A SRV was one of my faves - I was into him well before he hit the scene with his debut in '83. I'm a sucker for that blues-rock stuff. Was a big fan of the Tbirds with his big bro' Jimmie before him. But, SRV the greatest ever? Not even close, IMO. Jimi Hendrix wins that honor by a Texas mile over all contenders. SRV could do a lot of what Jimi did, but Jimi could do everything that SRV did and 10x more...
10-08-03 10:38 AM
jb I saw SRV at the Bandshell in Gainesville around 84..I was in student gov. and was backstage...The guy was very nice(hewas also really high) and the show was killer...I have never seen anyone (except for MT) make such sounds come out of this old beat up guitar he was playing.
10-08-03 10:39 AM
Jumacfly Phog,
a few years ago he did it in montpellier, in a small record shop....he s a very nice guy close to his fans...i think he will do it again and bring him a wine bottle....he had nearly 10 bottles on the table the last time!!!
im not sure i will follow him , but may be meet him backstage ...
Cheers, and excuse us guys for this non SRV content

Ju
10-08-03 10:52 AM
Phog Yeah, sorry for the off-topic stuff everyone. Has anyone read SRV's biography? I think it came out in the mid--'90s. I don't remember what it was called, but it was a good read. I recall a story by some club manager that caught SRV super-gluing his callouses back onto his fingertips (evidently his guitar strings had ripped them off during a show somewhere). Too bad about Stevie, he'd just gotten himself off the bottle when the chopper crashed. Great player.
10-08-03 10:58 AM
T&A like I said - i was a bigtime SRV fan. But, in hindsight, his playing was pretty limited. The licks he learned and played early in his development were the same ones he was playing at the end. Some great licks they were, but the style never evolved. It got fairly predictable. Keith Richards was quoted as saying as much - I believe the quote came from around '84 - he said something to the same effect, like he wasn't sure where Stevie was heading with his artform. That's where when compared to Jimi - well there's just no comparison. It's amazing what Jimi accomplished in such a short period - and there's just no telling what he would have accomplished over the past 30 years...he had no boundaries or limitations.
10-08-03 11:09 AM
jb Keith has made a career criticising others like Clapton, Taylor, Page, and others which is quite astonishing considering he can't hold a candle to anyone of them...Keith is about the most limited of all "great" guitar players...Indeed, his skills have so deteriorated that horns and piano are used to cover his lack of playing...nuff said...
10-08-03 11:23 AM
T&A jb - true enough - but that doesn't invalidate his opinions of others....
10-08-03 01:31 PM
Jaxx i've seen that PBS broadcast and i've had the luck to witness the greatness of SRV in concert at red rocks. i loved the way he played the guitar behind his back. to my delight, i have seen SRV, Neil Young and the grateful dead do All Along the Watchtower at Red Rocks. YES!!!

>>>>T&A: in hindsight, his playing was pretty limited. The licks he learned and played early in his development were the same ones he was playing at the end. Some great licks they were, but the style never evolved.

that said, i'd like to add that there are alot of "great guitar players out there who haven't evolved. question is, if you're that great, do you really need to evolve? SRV is one of the alltime greats and "the one" most compared to the style of jimi hendrix. i don't know that keith richards has evolved all that much, bruce springsteen's guitar is rather predictable as well, tho not as predictable or as mundane as george thorogood (who i wouldn't necessarily describe as "great").

i think success is achieved, a comfort zone is found and a music lover can only hope that laziness combined with backsliding doesn't take over. IMO the highest propensity for evolution can probably be found in the JAMBAND sector. when you're that freeform, it is the evolution that translates into greater success.

[Edited by Jaxx]
10-08-03 02:28 PM
T&A jaxx:

points all well-taken..and that's what separates Jimi from the rest - his style, chops, etc. evolved dramatically over a short period of time and left me with the impression that the evolution could have continued and sustained for a long time...
10-08-03 02:55 PM
Factory Girl Jimi's style is too abrasive for me.

I prefer Pagey, Taylor and J. Winter.
10-08-03 03:24 PM
T&A FG:

I think the question wasn't who you're favorite it - it's who the best is (was). SRV is actually someone I listen to more often than Jimi, so I guess I like him more. I like MT probably the best as far as lead guitarists are concerned. EC is near the top for me too.

But, Jimi's talent blows them all to smithereens. I think they'd all be in agreement with that assessment too.
10-08-03 03:29 PM
Factory Girl T&A-I understand that a lot of people think Jimi was the best guitarist because of his skill level. I appreciate Jimi's skill and spontaneity, but I don't consider him to be the absolute best.
10-08-03 03:32 PM
Jumping Jack Best Buy had Austin City Limits and some other SRV DVDs for $10 yesterday. I went in for The Kids Are Alright and came out with it and 2 of SRV.

They are both great. Pick up a copy today!

Watching SRV play Hendrix is a treat. Crossfire is one of the all time great songs.
10-08-03 03:41 PM
Joey " He died in a Helicopter crash in the mid-80's. I saw him in concert one time in 84, and he was great. "

He died on a stormy night in August of 1990 after performing on stage with Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy . The very next day , Eric Clapton played as scheduled at the Sandstone Amphitheatre in Kansas City , KS . Your young Joey was right there , row twenty , watching in disbelief as Eric played some of the most beautiful , heartwrenching notes of his life .

I cried cause I was " sans dope " at the time .

Jercee !
10-08-03 04:12 PM
Riffhard The argument about who's the best will go on for years. My thought's are that Jimi was the greatest player from later half of the twentieth century. However,if you want to talk about another player that was equally,if not more talented,one Mr. Robert Johson must be in included. Even Hendrix felt that RJ was the greatest to ever pick a cat gut strung geetar.

I loved the story that Keith tells in the liner notes of the Johnson boxset. He and Brian were sitting around the Edith Grove flat and Brian put on a Robert Johnson record. Keith turns to Brian and says, "Who's that cat playing guitar?" Brian say's "That's Robert Johnson!" then Keith asks, "Yeah,I know,but who's the guy playing with him?"

That's how good RJ was! He sounds like he's playing two guitars at once! Imagine what he could have done with an electric guitar?! The mind boggles at the thought of what could have been.

Riffhard
10-08-03 04:13 PM
jb Riff, how come you never say hello anymore...?
10-08-03 04:15 PM
Joey " The mind boggles at the thought of what could have been. "

The mind boggles at just how much booze some of us drink on the weekends .

Shiver ..............................

Enlarging ..........................

" It's a Stadium Rock Ronnie "

D.J. Jazzy Joe and trhe Fresh Prince of Boca !
Page: 1 2