ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people! -- post a pic of yourself here! PART III
From the Netherlands: SisterM, Erwan aka Highway Child, and Dick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: World's Best Band Named Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-06-03 07:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I am a fan of Electric Six, and "Gay Bar"s quite a funny little number. They, like The Darkness, don't really take themselves seriously (even less seriously than the Darkness) but, like the Darkness, the music's pretty damn good.

They should have shot Christina "I have balls" Agdicksucka for even daring to suggest that she deserrrrved any awarrrrd.

Radiohead = overrated as fuck. Imagine releasing five different incarnations of 'The Final Cut' with modern synth technology and you've got a pretty good idea of how they sound. I was OK with OK Computer but other than that... ehhhhhhhnogood.

-tSYX --- Now tell me, do you have any money?
10-06-03 07:39 PM
sammy davis jr. Radiohead IS the best band in the world today.....
10-06-03 07:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I guess I understand where you're coming from, Sammy, and I like Pink Floyd so I guess I can't talk, but I think Radiohead is like Roger Waters' wet dream - all talk, no hook.

-tSYX --- What God wants, God gets...
10-07-03 09:58 AM
sammy davis jr. First off, they're great musicians, all of 'em. Second, they write great songs. The two instrumental albums they released were just wank, very dull, meandering. But when they write SONGS, they're great. I also respect the fact that they try to to do something different every time out, rather than rehash the same formula's just to make a buck. BTW, I'm not a Radiohead worshipper, I just appreciate what they do.
10-07-03 02:19 PM
Gazza >Radiohead is this WEEK's favorite band over there.

absolute bollocks. They've been huge for a few years, at least the last 3 albums or so. I dont care much for their music but they are FAR from a flash in the pan

> They are clueless in the UK; it's what's hot this week.

youre an expert on the UK music scene then,I take it? Your above comment proves otherwise

>Remember the Jam? Blur? Stone Roses (who are always touted over there as one of th best EVER but a taxi wouldn't stop for the in NYC).

why the fuck should anyone in the UK worry about whats popular in New York - or vice versa? Because some band isnt big in YOUR particular neck of the woods that makes your area the epicentre of all thats good in the music world?

10-07-03 03:50 PM
fxconway HUH????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
10-07-03 03:54 PM
fxconway You Missed the point.

The point is that UK musics polls should never be taking seriously as this week's favorites are the next week's dishrags.

And I have read MANY MANY MANY MANY UK bands mention that you ain't made it anywhere until you broke in the USA.

Why the hell do you think Zep named their CD "How the West Was won"?????

Whee hee.
10-07-03 06:11 PM
Gazza >The point is that UK musics polls should never be taking seriously as this week's favorites are the next week's dishrags.

and American ones are automatically more credible? No music polls are worth a damn to be honest, but to dismiss radiohead as this week's favourite is ludicrous.

>And I have read MANY MANY MANY MANY UK bands mention that you ain't made it anywhere until you broke in the USA.

my point is its a big worldwide market. Theres a lot of big bands out there who have never made it big in New York or the US but who are huge in many other markets. It hasnt done them any harm and theve ended up selling more records in those markets than most bands would have in the US or anywhere else. Its a culture thing I guess. I'm sure theres shitloads of artists in places like India or Africa who you or I have never heard of and who sell shitloads more units than almost anyone we care to mention. They'll hardly lose sleep while they're counting their millions.

The fact that its not something that Americans can relate to culturally doesnt make it inferior. The Who have only had a single top 10 single in the US. Bob Dylan's never had a number 1 single. That hardly makes them nobodies.

Works both ways - theres been lots of acts who have been huge in the US but havent cracked other major markets. Doesnt mean they werent worth a damn. Your musical culture's no better or worse than anyone else's
10-07-03 08:39 PM
SHINE A LIGHT the closest i got to radiohead was on a t-shirt worn by one of the stones' roadies, jimmy.

cute pussy-cat picture. then just "radiohead".

the t-shirt is pink.

wow, go radiohead.....
10-07-03 09:50 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
First off, they're great musicians, all of 'em. Second, they write great songs. The two instrumental albums they released were just wank, very dull, meandering. But when they write SONGS, they're great. I also respect the fact that they try to to do something different every time out, rather than rehash the same formula's just to make a buck. BTW, I'm not a Radiohead worshipper, I just appreciate what they do.

When they played Roseland, they used a drum machine 90% of the time, with the drummer still onstage. The sound quality was horrific. Some musicians.

Yeah, they're different, and props to them for that, as it were, but different doesn't make 'em good. Vis a vis Bridges To Babylon, Black & Blue, Satanic Majesties, The White Album, Quadrophenia, Metal Machine Music (one of these things is not like the other...), etc... albums that were very different... but that a lotta people didn't think were very good at all. I do appreciate that, like the Stones, they experiment. I don't think they're *awful*, just overrated. If you want to appear cool or with it or somehow 'artistic' nowadays you can just mention Radiohead, who are none of those things. They're an OK band that at least takes risks, unlike The Strokes, who are bad by a whole different set of rules.

And "Hail To The Thief"? I mean, c'mon. One reviewer had the nerve to call it "A subtle dig at George W. Bush". I call it "Hitting someone over the head with the fact that you're not a big fan of George". Bob Dylan puts out subtle music (Love And Theft, Time Out Of Mind). Warren Zevon put out subtle music. Paul McCartney actually managed to put out a few very excellent really biting subtle digs at John Lennon ("3 Legs", "Dear Friend", "Let Me Roll It") that Lennon, the 'artistic one', couldn't handle, releasing the horrific "How Can You Sleep At Night?", that ironically reminds me of "Hail To The Thief".

When you say McCartney has something Radiohead doesn't, well, shit, they sure ain't great.

-tSYX --- I can't tell you how I feel...
10-09-03 03:18 AM
palacerevolution I have tried and tried to like radiohead. I listened to "OK Computer" many times and ...just fell asleep. It's like I'm on hold at my dentist's office phone. I feel like I'm missing something that everyone else gets. same thing happens to me with Sgt Pepper. Nada.
But IMO the biggest joke of that Q award thing is the "lifetime" award for Duran Duran. Heehee
Page: 1 2