ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people! -- post a pic of yourself here! PART III
From the Netherlands: SisterM, Erwan aka Highway Child, and Dick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: World's Best Band Named Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-04-03 09:37 PM
gypsy Radiohead Named World's Best Band
Oct 3, 10:53 AM EST

Associated Press

Radiohead was voted the world's best band at the annual Q music awards, chosen by readers of Britain's Q magazine, winning the prize for the third consecutive year.

But the band, whose recent album, "Hail to the Thief," has been praised by critics in Britain and the United States, didn't attend Thursday's ceremony, sending a video message instead.

The film was soundless, but in type at the bottom of the screen it poured scorn on the magazine for branding them "miserable." The short video ended with the line: "Radiohead aren't talking to Q."

Readers of Q had selected Radiohead over Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Blur.

Coldplay, also no-shows at the ceremony, had received the most nominations, up for best single ("Clocks"), best video ("The Scientist") and best live performers as well as the top prize. But they missed out in every category.

However, Christina Aguilera was on hand to pick up her best single award for "Dirrty."

"It's about time 'Dirrty' got some love. Thank you to Q for recognizing the woman with the balls to make this video and loving every minute of it," the 22-year-old singer said, referring to the raunchy video that accompanied the song.

Other winners included Electric Six, best video for "Gay Bar"; Robbie Williams, best live act; Blur, best album for "Think Tank"; The Thrills, best new act; The Cure, the inspiration award for their influence on music; and Duran Duran, lifetime achievement.

10-04-03 11:36 PM
KeithRichards210 RADIOHEAD????? Now that's a hoot!!!!
10-05-03 12:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh, Q did a Monty Python type spoof.

Them guys is funny and stuff.
10-05-03 12:47 AM
MarthaMyDear FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Red Hot Chili Peppers
FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE!!! HE!!! lol.......................... They rule!!!

*** Martha ***
10-05-03 01:41 AM
steel driving hammer I saw that today on CNN!

Best band only in their eyes, not mine.

Stones.

Btw, there was NO coverage on the Stones finishing their Massive World Tours on ANY of the news channels! I bet if the Beatles just finished their 2002 - 2003 World tours there would be some news coverage.

It all stems from Cultrual Lag Ronnie!
10-05-03 05:19 AM
egon who is radiohead?
10-05-03 05:39 AM
alex_taper Radiohead is a great band to see in live,better than on records. But we can't compare the Stones with Radiohead, it's two different things...
10-05-03 06:17 AM
Honky Tonk Man I am by no means a fan of Radiohead's current music, but must admit that they have made a couple of great albums, The Bends and Ok Computer.

Also,lets not forget "Creep" That was a hit in America, right?

Alex
10-05-03 02:32 PM
Gazza >Best band only in their eyes, not mine.
Stones.

on the basis of what,Tony? the 4 new songs on "40 Licks" ? Dont get me wrong,I think Radiohead are the most overrated band on the planet but while you could make a case for the Stones being the best live act in the world, you could hardly call a band who havent made a record for six years the best band in the world today. Great though the recent shows have been, it HAS been a nostalgia exercise after all.

>Btw, there was NO coverage on the Stones finishing their Massive World Tours on ANY of the news channels! I bet if the Beatles just finished their 2002 - 2003 World tours there would be some news coverage.

well,the tour isnt quite over - presuming theye going to the Far East that is. Would anyone's tour ending garner even a second of coverage on US TV if it ended outside the US though? I have my doubts to be honest!
10-05-03 02:40 PM
telecaster I like the English people. They are nice fun loving people who drink alot

However, they should never be allowed to conduct or vote in any type of music poll
10-05-03 03:00 PM
Gazza I like the American people. They are nice fun loving people who drink alot

However, they should never be allowed to conduct or vote in any type of election

10-05-03 03:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tele...don't equate Q magazine with the Brits in general.

I mean, that would be like saying Rolling Stone is representative of the USA.
10-05-03 03:09 PM
Gazza Thank fuck it isnt!
10-05-03 03:20 PM
telecaster
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Tele...don't equate Q magazine with the Brits in general.

I mean, that would be like saying Rolling Stone is representative of the USA.

good point

10-05-03 04:33 PM
Factory Girl Radiohead-no.
10-05-03 05:04 PM
gypsy Q is a funny magazine!
10-05-03 05:14 PM
Mother baby What does the Q stand for? The only Q I know of is that Star Trek character called Q.
10-05-03 05:28 PM
gypsy Queer?
10-05-03 05:33 PM
Gazza I think I remember reading somewhere (around the time it was first published in 1986) that it's "Quote"
10-05-03 09:37 PM
glencar If the Stones or any group ended their tour in the US, it'd get no national coverage here. The local TV might cover it but even that's doubtful. 22 years ago the Tattoo You tour got coverage of the best kind. The network news shows covered it well. Mick had a good interview on Rona Barrett. Times have changed though & let's face it, not even VH1 covered this year's(OK, last year's) tour.
10-06-03 11:07 AM
Mr T
quote:
glencar wrote:
Times have changed though & let's face it, not even VH1 covered this year's(OK, last year's) tour.

that's because all VH1 covers now is Ben Affleck. I fail to see how that station still manages to pop up in discussions about music
10-06-03 11:18 AM
fxconway Radiohead is this WEEK's favorite band over there. They are clueless in the UK; it's what's hot this week.

Remember the Jam? Blur? Stone Roses (who are always touted over there as one of th best EVER but a taxi wouldn't stop for the in NYC).

10-06-03 11:27 AM
Joey " well,the tour isnt quite over - presuming theye going to the Far East that is. Would anyone's tour ending garner even a second of coverage on US TV if it ended outside the US though? I have my doubts to be honest! "

Amen to THAT !!!!!!!!

Once the dates in China / Thailand / Vietnam ( ? ) are confirmed , look for it to be " Headline News on CNN "

Just think of those amazing photo ops we are all going to get in Mid - November .......You know ...........the ones with the boys on top of the " Great Wall " smoking a joint ......touring Ho Chi Minh City ...............buying opium in the " Candyland " district of Thailand .

Priceless .

Now if you will all excuse me , I have to pee .

Jacky !

10-06-03 11:44 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Best band only in their eyes, not mine.
Stones.

on the basis of what,Tony?

On the basis of nothing! I just disagree w/ their list, don't wanna look to deep into it either.

I just think it's newsworthy for the news channels to mention, "The Rolling Stones just ended their massive 47 European Tour tonight, etc, blah blah blah, maybe show some clips etc.

I'll bet MTV News didn't even say anything. Thats not news when the worlds greatest rock and roll band have possibly stopped rolling forever?

I know their still doing China but COME ON!
10-06-03 02:56 PM
Gazza MTV wouldnt be aware of it unless it was on the fucking Osbournes or Jackass or some bullshit documentary about J-Lo's arse.

Do these stations still cover music anyway?
10-06-03 03:36 PM
marko Do these stations still cover music anyway?

NO!not even radio stations,in fact,these station are forgetting who started this,stones&beatles.Wasn�t stones
one of first MTV videos and stuff,videos,interviews.
10-06-03 03:50 PM
Joey " NO!not even radio stations,in fact,these station are forgetting who started this,stones&beatles.Wasn�t stones
one of first MTV videos and stuff,videos,interviews. "

I don't believe ANYONE covers music anymore except us fine individuals here at the Rocks Off !!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe in Kennedy !

I don't believe in Beatles !

I don't believe in Yoko !

I believe in the Cubbies !!!!!!!!!!

" Bite the living Hell out of me Ronnie "

Jersey
10-06-03 04:49 PM
Mr T "I know their still doing China"

exactly. the tour's not over. just the european tour. so they aren't playing any more dates in europe - what does that matter to most of the MTV audience

of course MTV is bullshit anyway, and VH1 is even more pathetic. I can watch saturday night live and see more music than any given hour of either of those stations
10-06-03 04:57 PM
KeepRigid I disagree. They're a very good bad, but I think P. Diddy is the best game ever.
10-06-03 06:40 PM
Zeeta
quote:
fxconway wrote:
Radiohead is this WEEK's favorite band over there. They are clueless in the UK; it's what's hot this week.

Remember the Jam? Blur? Stone Roses (who are always touted over there as one of th best EVER but a taxi wouldn't stop for the in NYC).

Sometimes people should stick to lurking!
Page: 1 2