ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals at CTV studios, Toronto... "Turdsday" August 1, 2002
Anybody seen my spelling? LOL... Anybody seen my Mother? Baby? Play it next show!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forty Licks: The Rolling Stone Review Return to archive
10-09-02 06:07 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy THE ROLLING STONES
FORTY LICKS
***** (out of 5)

In the Sixties, they shouted and screamed and killed the king and railed at all his servants; in the Seventies, they gave it away on Seventh Avenue; in the Eighties, they did their dirty work, and they're still around today, celebrating forty years as the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band. For their anniversary collection, the Stones pack forty songs onto two CDs, with only a little cheating ("Beast of Burden" and "Miss You" get heavily edited to fit), and they still leave you hungry for more. The selection is daring ("Fool to Cry," "Happy," "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby"). The pacing is brilliant, kicking off with the bang-bang-bang punch of "Street Fighting Man," "Gimme Shelter" and "Satisfaction." And the four new songs? Their toughest rock in years, especially "Don't Stop," a plea for emotional rescue, and Keith Richards' piano ballad "Losing My Touch," which he isn't.

Obviously, not even a forty-song Stones anthology could be complete. Fans of their brief yet tasty psychedelic period will miss "Dandelion," Eighties mall rats will mourn the fabulous "She's So Cold," and the hard-core Side Two-of-Tattoo You cultists (who really exist, believe me) will blow gaskets over the shameful omission of "Waiting on a Friend." But the music here is full of danger and surprise. Thrill to the Keith vs. Brian Jones guitar battle in the final minute of "It's All Over Now." Savor the self-parodic machismo of "Under My Thumb," where Mick Jagger flounces like a Siamese-cat-whipped gigolo over Bill Wyman's swishiest bass and Jones' cocktail-lounge marimba. Those torn and frayed harmonies. That Charlie Watts kick drum.

It's all here.

ROB SHEFFIELD
(RS 908 - October 31, 2002)

-tSYX --- And she's buying a stairway to heaven...

[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
10-09-02 06:12 PM
Moonisup YES rolling stone is right about every single word!! Never read such a great review!

thans for posting that!!
10-09-02 08:29 PM
wkoetke
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
YES rolling stone is right about every single word!! Never read such a great review!

thans for posting that!!

I wonder why the author thinks including Fool To Cry (a hit single), Have You Seen You Mother (another hit single), and Happy (Keith's signature tune) is "daring"? Pretty undaring and predictable if you ask me.
10-10-02 12:58 PM
jb TSYX...I do not often post from home and my computer still has the Scrotum moniker..I was not "hiding" as I think everyone knows I used that moniker....Now, are you going to threaten me again?
10-10-02 01:10 PM
Moonisup
quote:
wkoetke wrote:
I wonder why the author thinks including Fool To Cry (a hit single), Have You Seen You Mother (another hit single), and Happy (Keith's signature tune) is "daring"? Pretty undaring and predictable if you ask me.

it is daring!
10-10-02 01:30 PM
jb Very daring to include any Keith song!
10-10-02 02:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
Very daring to include any Keith song!

Yeah, I agree - "Happy"s a great number and fairly popular in terms of the airplay, but if given a choice, DJs will play "Tumbling Dice" or "Rip This Joint" before "Happy".

Which is their loss!

As for your account, jb, sorry, didn't know - but I seem to recall, let's see if I can find that post... hmm... Here it is!

Under the archives for last week - "1978 concert t-shirt", scrotum c10 home writes:

"jb..you look like a very handsome man...much more attractive than some guy posting under the name maxlugar..I would love to meet you!!!"

Giving yourself compliments, are we?

Funny now that you admit it's you, though.... even if you didn't quite want to admit it at the time...

-tSYX --- I'll be your savior, steadfast and true...
10-10-02 02:17 PM
Moonisup HUMOR
10-10-02 03:09 PM
jb z
[Edited by jb]
10-10-02 06:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
HUMOR

I hear ya MUppie, and it is quite funny now that it's all in context...

Anyway...

back to the STONES...

PLEASE.

-tSYX --- We walk the highwire...
10-10-02 07:21 PM
Mr T great review
10-10-02 08:32 PM
Stonesprofessor I hear Happy all the time on FM.....
10-10-02 09:48 PM
sammy davis jr. Fool To Cry a hit single? Not as I remember it....I thought this song in particular had NO place on the record. In fact I'll say it (and probably get bashed) I think the record pretty much sucks. The "remsastered" songs sound even worse to me....Crap like Emotional Rescue is just plain embarassing. Nearly everything on disc one is already on Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks.....No daring at all on song selection. The songs aren't in chronological order by release, which to me is a mistake. In fact there's no rhyme or reason to the track order IMO. Three of the four new songs are average at best, yet are included on a Greatest Hits package? The best part of the whole thing to me is the pictures, especially the double page one at the back- maybe the best band shot I've ever seen. I'm sorry, but I think they could have done a much better job putting it together. It looks like it was just thrown together to coincide with a rapidly approaching tour. If the Stones themselves picked these songs as I 've read, then I don't think they know their audience very well. Bash me if you'd like-just an opinion from a life long Stones fan.
10-12-02 03:47 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Fool To Cry a hit single? Not as I remember it....I thought this song in particular had NO place on the record. In fact I'll say it (and probably get bashed) I think the record pretty much sucks. The "remsastered" songs sound even worse to me....Crap like Emotional Rescue is just plain embarassing. Nearly everything on disc one is already on Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks.....No daring at all on song selection. The songs aren't in chronological order by release, which to me is a mistake. In fact there's no rhyme or reason to the track order IMO. Three of the four new songs are average at best, yet are included on a Greatest Hits package? The best part of the whole thing to me is the pictures, especially the double page one at the back- maybe the best band shot I've ever seen. I'm sorry, but I think they could have done a much better job putting it together. It looks like it was just thrown together to coincide with a rapidly approaching tour. If the Stones themselves picked these songs as I 've read, then I don't think they know their audience very well. Bash me if you'd like-just an opinion from a life long Stones fan.

Well first off Sammy, I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, and yours is not doubt as valid as anyones. Prior to release I was in two minds about 40 Licks, part of me (the teenager), just wanted it because well, a Stones fan simply must have everything, the grown up admonished the adolescent, and told him; ah! You've heard it all before save your dosh! The teenager had a hissy fit, and got his way. There are little annoyances with the set; 'Miss You'& 'Beast'& IORR edited, but by and large I'm certainly glad I bought it, even as a curio it is well worth the $27.00 AUS. I paid for it. I like chronological order myself, but sometimes strategicaly placed songs can add a freshness to a recording that the same old " I know what's coming next" can take away. You can always program the CD format anyway.We are never going to be 100% happy with a compilation that attempts,(in two discs)to cover nearly 40 years, while one fan would rather see 'Little Red Rooster' than 'It's All Over Now', another would opt for 'Time Is On My Side', and so on it goes. Great tracks like 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', Midnight Rambler, are just too long to include, and editing would be cutting ones nose off, if you know what I mean? Finally, I've got a feeling that most fans if they really think about it would agree with the choice of songs, my only regret, and it is not a criticism, is that once again many 'Exile' gems have been ignored, songs that would come in the allotted time frame, say, 'All Down The Line'for a start. But Mick doesn't rate Exile does he?
10-12-02 04:44 AM
padre The 4 new songs should've come in a separate ep with the collection. I think it's unfair for those tracks to be directly compared with the classics. After that 40 Licks would've gotten more room to match with the current tour's setlist. How about CYHMK, Hand of Fate, Rocks Off and When The Whip Comes Down (or Like a Rolling Stone) to replace them? Now that would've been daring.