ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals at CTV studios, Toronto... "Turdsday" August 1, 2002
Anybody seen my spelling? LOL... Anybody seen my Mother? Baby? Play it next show!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 40 Licks, a success? Return to archive
10-09-02 08:59 AM
Scot Rocks In my opinion, from what I have seen yes. Already after me talking about the Stones relentlessly for the last few years, some of friends were persuaded to buy 40 licks, 40 of the best for �15 is a good price which I think helped as well...the result they now love the Stones and are wanting more and more of them, in turn they are spreading the word about how good the Stones are to their friends...I am sure the Stones have won over many new fans as a result of this GH release and in my experience many of this generation, which can only be a good thing for continuing the legacy of the "Greatest Rock n' Roll Band in the World!!!!!!!!" or is it too early to judge?

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Cheers

Mark
10-10-02 11:20 AM
egon mark, if only!!!

most of my friends hate everything the stones do/did,
so no point in playing 40licks for them.

maybe it's time...... time to get some new friends
10-10-02 11:27 AM
jb Although it hurts to admit, this album , which unquestionably contains the greatest rock songs in history, failure to reach #1 is a huge disappointment. We have not had a #1 since Tatto You, and this would have really silenced the critcs...I just don't understand why they released it ti compete with Elvis and Bon Jovi, who will shortly be #1 (as is the case in England) ahead of Elvis and the Stones. At this pace, it looks like "Licks" will sell close to 500,000 copies which is Gold...but nowhere near the 7-8 million I had anticipated. Why are the Stones so popular in conceret, yet their record sales are quite frankly, mediocre at best...doe'nt make sense!
10-10-02 06:59 PM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
Although it hurts to admit, this album , which unquestionably contains the greatest rock songs in history, failure to reach #1 is a huge disappointment. We have not had a #1 since Tatto You, and this would have really silenced the critcs...I just don't understand why they released it ti compete with Elvis and Bon Jovi, who will shortly be #1 (as is the case in England) ahead of Elvis and the Stones. At this pace, it looks like "Licks" will sell close to 500,000 copies which is Gold...but nowhere near the 7-8 million I had anticipated. Why are the Stones so popular in conceret, yet their record sales are quite frankly, mediocre at best...doe'nt make sense!

At this pace it will sell 500,000 copies??!!! Wrong!!!! VL and B2B each sold 150,000 copies (half the number of LICKS) each in their first week and they both went on to sell a lot more than 500,000 copies...VL sold over 2 million in the U.S...What kind of logic are you using?? And why in the world did you expect LICKS to sell 7-8 million copies??? They've NEVER sold that many copies of a new album....This album will sell around 2 million in the U.S...very respectable, and very consistent with past sales
[Edited by lucasd4]
10-10-02 07:11 PM
full moon The album is a HUGE success already.. #2 in this day and age is wonderful.. It will sell well over a million copies and I know of two " teenagers" that have seen the Stones on this tour and have bought 40 Licks and now are obsessed by the Stones...
10-10-02 07:54 PM
fna69 i know of like 30 teens that bought the cd and are stones fans. You cant really judge by how many teens are at the shows. Kids dont make enought money these days to pay 300 a ticket to see them, plus if they do it goes to gas money. If you really look at the numbers they sold for 40 licks. Elvis BARELY beat them. it was like 310 to 338 or somthin. It was a close race and we should be happy.
10-10-02 08:08 PM
Poison Dart Are you kidding? This is a big success and with the holidays coming will only get bigger. Who knows maybe they could slip into the #1 spot next week (Elvis's sales have fallen by 50% since last week)

Besides this is a pretty great # of units sold when you consider how many greatest hits and live albums the Stones have in the market already.

Also the Stones still exist in a very real way compared to The Beatles or Elvis. We get new Stones stuff all the time so it is not as big of an event when they put a record out.

For Christ's sake the Stones are in their 60's and selling out 60,000 seat stadiums.