ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals at CTV studios, Toronto... "Turdsday" August 1, 2002
Anybody seen my spelling? LOL... Anybody seen my Mother? Baby? Play it next show!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Last Word...Roseland Return to archive
10-08-02 11:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot I was so excited the night before that I hardly slept. You see, I was one of the chosen few who got to go to the promised land to see the greatest rock and roll band on this, or any other planet, at the fabled Roseland Ballroom.

Since I was travelling by myself, I got to leave on schedule. I drove the wheels off my little 4 cylinder, and reached the Lincoln Yunnel at about 1:30 pm. I was parked and at the Faces and Names by 2pm. Faces and Names is right beside Mookies Cookie Nook. They really DO have a cool painting of the Stones hanging by the bar...right beside Tom Waits portrait. Good company.

Speaking of good company, I had some good company there that afternoon. I met Sirmoonie there. He was drinking with Scopey and young Alex, all the way from jolly old! Alex looks like a young Mick Jagger! No kidding.

So we drink, have some food, and decide to walk over to Roseland to get me & moonie's wristbands.

Maybe some of you don't know this, so I'll repeat this part. After the Blimpy Press Conference, I sent a group email out to some of my cyber pals, giving info on how to sign up for the pre sale. Moonie joined the fan club and got some tickets. On night he was dicking around on the tickets portion of the fan club, and stumbled upon 2 for Roseland. Of course he scarfed them up. For some reason, he decided that I should go with him to Roseland.

OK, so now I think sirmoonie is actually God. He is my hero. Anybody messes with him, they be messing with me. And I WILL stomp a mudhole in someone's ass if they try him. That's why I said it was prolly a good thing that we didn't bump into Cockroach. I'm pretty sure they put you in jail for mudhole stomping in NYC. Anyhow, I vote to bump moonie up from "sir" status to sainthood. St. Moonie. Yeah, my man.

ANYHOW, we were a little worried about getting those wristbands. Turns out there was no need. It wasn't really traumatic at all. Turns out there was a small line already at 3:30p. So, we decided that we should drink some more. What else could we do? I wasn't standing in that damn line for 6 hours when I could be drinking Guinness instead! Back to Faces and Names! Around 6PM we head back over to Roseland. The line goes around the block. Scopey decided to hang out and try to score a ticket. Saint Moonie and I decided to hit YOTI again for old times sake. At that point the line was so long, it didn't matter. The lady at the YOTI remembered us. We ate, we drank, we were merry. Talked to some other Stones fans there. Cool guys.

Finally it was time. We just KNEW when to go. C10 instinct. I was a little worried about security. But they gave me just a cursory pat down, and in we went.

We worked our way down the side of the throngto about 10 feet from the stage. We talked to StonesDoug for a bit...thanks for the stickers SD!

Johnny Lang came on. He played. I'll bet he was even pretty good. But I was distracted. The Stones were in the building....I could feel them. After what seemed like days but was really only about 35 minutes, Johnny left the stage. Swarms of roadies flitted about making everything ready for the grand entrance.

Again after what seemed like days, but was only maybe 20 minutes, the lights went out. I hit record. A voice came over the PA..."Please welcome, The Rolling Stones". And Keith slammed out the opening chords of Start Me Up. Mick was just going insane. Deranged, whipping his arms around, driving the crowd into a frenzy. They were so LOUD. Charlies backbeat shook my spine. The guitars bludgeoned my brain...and Mick, hell, he assaulted every and all senses. At this point I was just so happy, they could have started burping and farting and I would have been delerious.

All of the songs were the same. What I mean is, that they were all the BEST THING YOU EVER HEARD! I Don't know how many times I turned to look at Moonie with that blissful look that said "Can you fucking BELIEVE THIS SHIT?" She Smiled Sweetly...fuck yup! That's How Strong My Love Is...damn, Mick was WORKIN'! When I heard the harp start the intro to Midnight Rambler...well, I lost it. If you had tried to talk to me just then, I would not have been able to answer coherently. I was a blubbering blob of Stonesicated flesh.

The Stones tried to kill us all by drowning us in red confetti. Somehow, I survived. After what seemed like a few minutes, but was really 2 hours and 15 minutes, it was over. Moonie and I made our way to the exit in stunned silence. We would mutter things. We became sardinelike, wiggling toward the door. We got seperated...but no matter. I knew where to find him.

Faces and Names.

We found some comfy chairs to sit in. We were completely wiped out. Drained. We left it all on the floor of the Roseland Ballroom. I drank a huge glass of NYC water. There was nothing else to say or do. We were finished. So we said our goodbyes.

It took a while for the parking lot guy to get my car. But he eventually showed up. I made the interior ready for the long ride home. I figured that I'd have to stop for the night somewhere. Wrong. I was so wound tight that I made it to a truck stop just an hour and a half from home without even realizing it. I grabbed some coffee, loaded it up with sugar, and hit the accelerator hard. I was in bed by 5am.

I slept the most contented sleep.

Thanks Moonie. If you ever need something...I'm there.
10-08-02 11:43 PM
Rescued Awesome.
10-09-02 01:08 AM
Martha I've waited all day for this one SS.

Loved each tale especially the part about how your little boy loved the show.

With Roseland however, you killed me.....what a grand, grand story...

I know I'll be a blubbering mess when I see the Stones too .

Gawd I cannot wait!

Detroit is in the air.......
10-09-02 01:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot You know, as much as I loved being at the Roseland show, as insanely great as that was...and as much fun as YOTI and MSG was...the thing that I will always remember about this tour, is the look on my son's face during Sympathy.

Man, that's what it's all about. My little man bugs me to play 40 Licks for him constantly...in the car, at home, at Nan & Pap's house...he's hooked. And I couldn't be more happy about it. I made it so my boy can tell his grandkids someday..."Your great grandpap took me to see the greatest rock band ever...The Rolling Stones."

And the music will live on for another generation.
10-09-02 01:24 AM
Martha
Ok, I'm blubbering earlier than anticipated...

10-09-02 02:14 AM
parmeda Stand up and take a well deserved bow, SS...I applaud you!

You have been Blessed. And I know, that you know how very true that is. What on Earth could possibly top those 3 days in NY for you...

Pam

10-09-02 03:30 AM
marcus aurelianus VERY VERY MOVING . WE , IN EUROPE , ARE WAITING ...
JUST WAITING . WILL THEY BE AS GOOD ?
10-09-02 07:26 AM
egon *
ANYHOW, we were a little worried about getting those wristbands. Turns out there was no need. It wasn't really traumatic at all. Turns out there was a small line already at 3:30p

stonesalot, can you explain to me how it works in the U.S?

in holland you have to sit in front of the gate around 08/10.00 hrs. it opens around 1700hrs at which point you have to run your ass off to get to the stage and into the seperate section in front of it. when you walk out of this section you get a wristband.

needles to say, that it's impossible for me to go to a bar before the show. (unless i want to watch it from the back)

10-09-02 08:45 AM
Scot Rocks Brilliant, SS, the thought of the theatre shows just make me delerious. Great reviews, If I ever manage to get to one of the threatre shows, God, I would be so happy. Can't wait for next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"WE WANT THE STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mark
10-09-02 08:51 AM
scope You, my friend, have experienced the thrill of a lifetime. The trifecta in NYC! You and Saint Moonie shared something that goes beyond words. Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us here. We are all envious, but happy to know that there was 'one of us' inside, getting a kick-ass show. Can't wait to get my hands on the boots from these 3 and re-live them over and over again.
10-09-02 09:29 AM
Joey " But they gave me just a cursory pat down, and in we went."

You make Joey smile .

10-09-02 11:19 AM
Maxmeister Great read, SS!!
Three days of unparalleled enjoyment and memories to last our lifetime and beyond. It just doesn't get any better.
Life is good!!

Rick
10-09-02 11:22 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Rick, you are right.

Memories to last our lifetime and beyond.

Well said.
10-09-02 11:39 AM
sirmoonie Piss Yup! The whole shebang was a banshee biff blast. Stones and meeting all the regs who were able to make it to NYC. What a week. Can you say YOOOOOOTTTTTTIIIIIII? It rhymes with "blow tee."

And Roseland ballroom. I can hardly wait to get the boot of Roseland or better yet the vid. Then, when the wife and kids are out of town, I can sit in my lounge chair with a bottle of hootch, pop in the Rosie vid, and say all wistful and teary like "Looks like its me and you again tonight......Rosie...."

That fucking show. Too much for my little brain. Like SS said, absolutely drained at end. I wandered around Manhattan for a couple of hours after, trying to situate the whole kit and kaboodle in my head. Couldn't do it. Still haven't placed what I saw in its proper cranial lobe. Its just all floating around, teasing me every day with little, fleeting bits of threater Stones....

On official site, there is a vid of Rosie's CYHMK, over 10 minutes in length! Butte! Check it out. I saw that muhfuckie up close and personal like.
10-09-02 11:45 AM
nankerphelge I just can't believe it's over -- all those months of waiting and salivating and now it is October and NYC is nuthin' but a lot of great memories.

The good news in my mind, however, is that barring a death in the "family" there is no way in hell this is their last tour. No way in hell. They have got to know from the fans and critics and in their hearts that they are unstoppable.

This tour IS the one we've been waiting for and I bet we're all back in NYC for the '05 tour!! Yeah buddy!
10-09-02 11:52 AM
sirmoonie We just have to worry about us staying alive for '05. Holy bilirubin levels was there a lot of livers screaming in pain at the YOTI. Just above the crashing din of JJF and Sympathy blasting out of the jukebox and Gerardo's drunken singing, I could hear the little souls of those livers beseeching towards heaven:

"Help me, help help me, Ronnie!"
10-09-02 12:51 PM
steel driving hammer Hey Moonie, please desribe your Avatar...

Who is he?
10-09-02 01:04 PM
sirmoonie Mid life photo of an obscure British politician named Winston Churchill or something like that. I just liked the Tommy gun.
10-09-02 05:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot Just got done listening to Rosie...again. This isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. In fact, I'm bumping the grade up from "good" to "very good". It isn't Jagger's vocal that washes out the sound....it's the audience singing along!

The more I listen to it, the more I realize that this is EXACTLY what it was like to be there! Fuckin' brilliant.
10-09-02 05:47 PM
Mother baby Yeah Yeah Yeah everyone's a Stones fan NOW!
10-09-02 11:13 PM
FPM C10 Great stuff, my brutha!! After MSG, when we were laughing hysterically at each other in the hallway on the way out, my very first thought was: HOLY SHIT. How good are they gonna be at Roseland???? It was too hard to fathom.

I want all of our readers to know that I, your Fleabit buddy from days of yore, was BIG enough to worry about your mental health and well being. Remember, when I dropped you off after MSG? " I dunno Marc. Are you sure your nervous system can handle it? I don't think it's a good idea, three concerts in one week. Better let me fill in for you at Roseland." But NO, as his avatar shows, SS is armor-plated, and bravely soldiered on.

You wouldn't believe how much Dandelion LOVED the fact that they started out with "Start Me Up" at Roseland.

Our buddy Cart offered me a Cleveland ticket, but I can't swing it - gotta try for MSG again in January. They just play better in NYC than ANYWHERE.

I finally got around to learning how to burn DVDs. It's way cool.
10-09-02 11:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yo Flea!

I'll call ya tomorrow.

We got things to discuss.
10-10-02 07:24 AM
Moonisup hey Sir stonesalot and St. moonie, there is a CYHMK video from Roseland at Shidoobee! Did you know that, a very very good version

!!

Rik
10-10-02 09:33 AM
Riffhard SS a great read indeed!What a show that must have been firsthand!Now my problem is getting tickets for January.I just about busted the bank on my little excursion to the Big Apple in September.By the time tickets went on sale I had no funds.Then they all sold out.So if anyone's got any extras keep young Riffy in mind.

As for Moonie's avatar Joey that reminds me of that great quote from Sir Winston Churchill---"If your not a liberal in your youth you have no heart.If your not a conservative after forty with a Tommy gun blowing away liberals you have no brain."-Sir Winston Churchill-4,June,1946

Riffhard
10-10-02 10:45 AM
jb Hello riffhard...is Bill in town yet? Since your such a nice guy, I am offering you a free ticket to one of the Florida shows if you can make it...let me know soon!
10-10-02 11:18 AM
sirmoonie Yep, that CYHMK video is nice. If nothing else, it reminds me what a whacko Ronnie is. See that part where he disappears for several minutes? Friggin' guy was trying to figure out how to light a cigarette! I'm not kidding, it was hilarious, he'd flick the bic, it wouldn't fire up to his satisfaction, he'd shake it, then hold it up and start talking to some of the back up singers about it, fire it up again but the cigarette wasn't in his mouth, forget what he was doing, talk to himself, walk around in circles, jump up and down, etc., then repeat the whole process again. I was cracking up and couldn't take my eyes off him. And I still think he was sober! As Keith said in latest Rolling Stone interview, he can't tell the difference between a "pissed" Ronnie and a sober Ronnie. What a flake!

Man, NYC is calling me in January, guys. I feel The Need. But I don't have any teekeets! Can anyone help me, help help me, Ronnie?