ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Under My Thumb - Hyde Park - June 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Canned Heat - Canned, Labeled, and Shelved Return to archive
6th October 2006 09:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Music Review: Canned Heat - Canned, Labeled, and Shelved

Boogie-Woogie Blues At Its Best

October 06, 2006
Richard Marcus
Blogcritics.org

Okay, this is a two part question: How many people have seen the movie Woodstock? (The original festival in 1969 not any of the remakes) Part two is how many of you actually remember anything of it? For those of you were able to answer in the affirmative to both questions, I'm sure this memory will be relevant to you. Those who can't – well there is a really great director's cut out now you can watch and hopefully remember.

The scene in Woodstock that has always and will always send a little bit of a shiver up my spine is near the beginning. People are starting to arrive and the music swells up underneath. The opening bars of Canned Heat's "Going Up The Country" have been permanently etched into my brain ever since I first watched the movie in its entirety somewhere back in the mid 1970s.

From the whistle of the flute to the almost falsetto sound of the lead vocalist as he sings of going somewhere where the water tastes like wine and jumping in the river and staying drunk all the time will live with me forever. Which makes it all the more surprising I've never really searched out any more of their music before now.

It was almost like I didn't want to spoil that one moment by hearing any of their other music, in case I found something in it that would ruin my one pure image of them. I needn't have worried because now that I've heard them in more depth I realize, although that first song will remain indelibly burnt into my memory banks, there was plenty of room left for more of their music.

A new double disc put out by the Belgium label Music Avenue called Canned, Labelled, and Shelved contains re issues of two albums from the period of their earliest incarnation. Since being formed in 1965 the band has seen its share of the usual rock and roll sadness and madness that took the lives of too many talented people. By 1977 when Human Condition, the second disc in this set, was recorded they had already had some major reshufflings in the line up.

Alan Wilson, the falsetto voice behind "Going Up The Country" died in 1970 from a combination of depression over his near blindness and a heroin overdose. Bob Hite, the Bear, the other primary vocalist of the band died in 1981 from a massive heart attack brought on by drugs, and finally Henry Vestine died in 1997 from respiratory failure while on tour in Belgium.

But through it all they have remained true to their dedication of updating traditional blues songs and making them into boogie/rock and roll classics. Unlike other bands that have fished into the past to find their music, these guys have gone out of their way to ensure that the men who wrote the tunes they perform get the recognition they deserve. They searched out and found folk like Albert Collins, Skip James, Memphis Slim, and Clarence Gatemouth Brown and either negotiated recording contracts for them, toured with them, or arranged for them to have their own solo concerts.

The first disc in this package, Live At The Kaleidoscope was recorded in 1969 and is the original line up most remember from the Woodstock movie. It's typical boogie/blues/rock and roll music that's performed with verve and gusto.

Being a live disc there's plenty of room for soloing and the guys take full advantage of it by having some great all out jams, especially on their version of "Sweet Sixteen". What's nice about Canned Heat is they knew when to stop, unlike too many of the excessive solos from that time which now seem interminable to listen too. These come to an end before you're starting to wonder if they will ever finish.

The only drawback to the disc is it seemed to take the first couple of songs for them to get the sound under control, so the vocals are a bit buried in the mix at the start. Considering the time period though and the lack of great recording gear it's still all around decent enough sound.

The 1977 studio disc Human Condition is notable because it is the last recording to feature the vocals of Bob Hite before he died. The band was working on their next recording when he collapsed from the heart attack. The mid seventies were a hard time for a band like Canned Heat as disco was all the rage and pure rock and roll blues music wasn't in very high demand.

It was either dance music or progressive rock schlock the record executives wanted. Rock and roll was too unclean and uncivilized for the slick and boring over produced music and styles of the time. Human Condition was a record deal offered them by the Takoma record label and unfortunately it just didn't sell as there was no market for it at the time.

The title track "Human Condition" was the last song that the late Alan Wilson had written and it's a great blues/rock number, as are all the cuts on this disc. They even brought in some special guests to help out including The Chamber Brothers to sing background vocals on "Strut My Stuff", Open Up Your Backdoor", and "Wrapped Up". This album proved they could still play the music they loved, even if no one wanted to listen anymore.

If you're not familiar with Canned Heat, or you were like me and really only knew them through the one song, than Canned, Labeled, and Shelved will make a great addition to your music library. Although there is still a version of the band out there, it's pretty much in name only as all that's left from the 1977 line up is drummer Adolfo "Fito" De La Parra. They are signed to Ruf Records in Germany (who seem to be "the" Blues label now) and are producing on average an album a year.

Canned, Labeled, and Shelved is the history of the band, and before you start buying anything new, you really ought to know where it came from and meet the originators. It would only be polite to pay your respects.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
6th October 2006 10:32 PM
Chuck I really liked the stuff they did with John Lee Hooker.
6th October 2006 11:58 PM
mojoman
quote:
Chuck wrote:
I really liked the stuff they did with John Lee Hooker.

hooker&heat is a great album. harvey mandel contributed to a few albums the best being future blues the last featuring the haunting voice of al wilson.
7th October 2006 02:01 AM
Kilroy I like all their stuff always have. I remember seeing them on Playboy after Dark.
7th October 2006 02:56 AM
wisertime I'm a great Canned Heat fan, I've seen the band 2 weeks before Vestine died in 1997, and it was as good as the old days, Vestine was ill but he played like hell.

I saw them 2 times in 2006 and they are still the best blues/boogie band in the world, for sure !!!
It's the best line-up since 1997.
I have a few recordings of 2006, I could upload some MP3's if anyone is interested.
[Edited by wisertime]
7th October 2006 07:36 AM
nappyrags and don't forget to boogie...
7th October 2006 09:14 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Yes I indeed remember going to the cinema when the film was released and being very disappointed that it did not show any live performance of Canned Heat. The Hite / Wilson period was awesome. Fortunately I have recorded off telly 2 live performances from that Woodstock. Wonderful stuff. They are presumably from some kind of Directors Cut. Unfortunately I have never found a full track listing for these Director Cut things so have not got on DVD. I really wish that they would knock out the full Canned Heat Woodstock performance on DVD.
7th October 2006 11:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
7th October 2006 11:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels THE LATE, GREAT, BOB "THE BEAR" HITE.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
7th October 2006 12:07 PM
mojoman "blind owl" wilson along "the bear" hite were considered experts on the blues. al studied music in college and at the time of his death was one of the worlds leading authorities on the subject. not bad for a couple of white guys.
7th October 2006 12:50 PM
bortevek I saw then in august in Notodden, Norway. They were great. If anyone could upload some music I would be glad.
7th October 2006 12:57 PM
bortevek
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I'm a great Canned Heat fan, I've seen the band 2 weeks before Vestine died in 1997, and it was as good as the old days, Vestine was ill but he played like hell.

I saw them 2 times in 2006 and they are still the best blues/boogie band in the world, for sure !!!
It's the best line-up since 1997.
I have a few recordings of 2006, I could upload some MP3's if anyone is interested.
[Edited by wisertime]

I saw then in august in Notodden, Norway. They were great. If you could upload some music I would be glad.
7th October 2006 01:15 PM
wisertime Every Blues/Rock fan should read Fito De La Parra's Book :
"LIVING THE BLUES : CANNED HEAT'S STORY OF MUSIC, DRUGS, DEATH, SEX AND SURVIVAL" published in 2000. Awesome stories !!!!

Here is an MP3 of a recent Canned Heat show, recorded somewhere in France in March 2006 :

Bullfrog Blues :
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=84DB2DE210103FCA

Check Robert Lucas web-site : www.robertlucas.com

What a singer !! (+ slide guitarist & harmonica).

"... a wicked slide guitar and harmonica approach
honed to suit his passion." – Living Blues

"Lucas has a way of chilling your spine
while he warms your soul." – Cadence

"Lucas is an outstanding player/singer.
His music gets down to the nittiest of the gritty
and packs a heavy emotional punch." – British Blues Connection

"How does this boy do it? Talent just oozes out of every pore
and his feeling for the blues is second to none." – Red Lick (UK)

"The blues discovery of the '90's." – Blues Revue Magazine

"If you love the blues then you'll love this band." – Willie Dixon

"These boys capture the feeling the way the blues was played
when I first came up." – Robert Lockwood Jr.

[Edited by wisertime]
[Edited by wisertime]
7th October 2006 01:38 PM
wisertime Enjoy this Elmore James song (slide guitar and Fito's playing !!) :

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=95C1CB28638E420E

[Edited by wisertime]
7th October 2006 01:56 PM
bortevek
quote:
wisertime wrote:
Enjoy this Elmore James song (slide guitar and Fito's playing !!) :

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=95C1CB28638E420E

[Edited by wisertime]

thanx
7th October 2006 02:22 PM
gustavobala when harvey "snake" mandell plays in canned heat?

someone have photo from him?....with stones in 1975?

he was a keith´s friend?

thanxs in advance!

7th October 2006 02:35 PM
wisertime
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
when harvey "snake" mandell plays in canned heat?

someone have photo from him?....with stones in 1975?

he was a keith´s friend?

thanxs in advance!

As far as I know, he was CH's guitarist during these periods :

August 1969 / Early 1970
1975-76 / 1977
1992 / 1993

LP's with Harvey Mandel : "Future Blues" - "Live In Concert '70".

He played on a few songs on CH's records as a guest.

I saw him with the band in 1999, it wasn't very good.

7th October 2006 02:45 PM
gustavobala thanxs wisertime!

i didn´t know bout him!
7th October 2006 02:52 PM
gustavobala
quote:
wisertime wrote:

I saw him with the band in 1999, it wasn't very good.

well, ronnie too....LOL

Harvey Mandel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born in Detroit, Michigan in 1945 and raised in Chicago. Mandel became the original guitarist with Charlie Musselwhite, releasing the debut album Stand Back! in 1966. As a result of heavy airplay in San Francisco, they were invited to play the Fillmore by Bill Graham. Harvey Mandel moved to the Bay Area, regularly performing at the infamous club "The Matrix", where local favorites like Jerry Garcia, Elvin Bishop and Jefferson Airplane would sit in and jam.

On meeting the producer Abe Kesh, was able to release his first solo album for Phillips/Mercury Records entitled, "Cristo Redentor" in 1968, which included his version of "Wade in the Water," still a classic to this day.

In Early 1969 he replaced Henry Vestine as lead guitarist in blues band Canned Heat Harvey remained with Canned Heat for over a year with slide guitarist/vocalist Alan Wilson and singer Bob "The Bear" Hite. The custom of Canned Heat suggested that each member of the band aquired a nickname upon joining the band. Harvey's nickname, "The Snake,"on the other hand, was given to him years before by keyboardist Barry Goldberg in Chicago (attributed to his cracked leather jacket and "snake-like guitar licks") After several tours and 3 albums, including "Future Blues", he was recruited by British blues man John Mayall to be a member of the Bluesbreakers, recording the adventurous album, titled "USA Union".

The band featured Mandel with Canned Heat bass player Larry "The Mole" Taylor, and legendary violinist Don "Sugarcane" Harris. Mandel also appeared on another significant Mayall album, "Back To The Roots", on which Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor also guested.

He resumed his solo career, releasing several more albums for Janus Records in the 1970's including the classics, Baby Batter, The Snake, and Shangrenade, the ground-breaking record where Harvey employed 2-handed fretboard tapping. Mandel was one of the first rock guitarists to utilize this technique, years before Eddie Van Halen and Stanley Jordan came along.

One of Mandel's most significant session credits was his participation on Black and Blue, the 1976 LP from The Rolling Stones.

Following his success with the Stones, he became a busy session player, with groups such as Love and The Ventures, and opened for Jeff Beck on his Canadian tour as a power trio with Jimmy Haslip, bassist for The Yellowjackets. He relocated to Chicago in the late 70's and continued to tour extensively as well as supporting groups such as Roxy Music.

In 1980, Harvey Mandel relocated to Florida as a member of the house band at Ron Wood's Miami night club, "Woody's," with Rolling Stones saxman Bobby Keys.
7th October 2006 03:09 PM
wisertime
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

well, ronnie too....LOL

I wasn't speaking about Harvey Mandel only, it wasn't a very good show but I don't remember very well ..

I have some photos I took of this show, I'll upload later..
7th October 2006 03:25 PM
gustavobala thanxs wisertime, thanxs!
7th October 2006 05:26 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
thanxs wisertime, thanxs!

I've been a big fan of Canned Heat since the late Sixties, only in part because their bass player and I share the same name. Henry Vestine lived for years until his death in my hometown, Eugene, Oregon. He was housemates with friends of mine.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
7th October 2006 05:33 PM
wisertime Harvey Mandel playing with Canned Heat in 1999 (Antwerpen, 07/25/99) :

Robert Lucas :

[Edited by wisertime]
7th October 2006 09:11 PM
mojoman the last couple of years mandel has been touring with the chicago all stars. the shows weren't very strong except for mandels part. could have used some input from elvin bishop.
[Edited by mojoman]
7th October 2006 09:15 PM
travelinman http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=111644

It's not the early band but worth downloading.
7th October 2006 09:18 PM
mojoman
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

I've been a big fan of Canned Heat since the late Sixties, only in part because their bass player and I share the same name. Henry Vestine lived for years until his death in my hometown, Eugene, Oregon. He was housemates with friends of mine.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]

a buddy of mine took drum lessons from fito in la
7th October 2006 11:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I uploaded this one for all the Rocks Off people who like the Heat and who like to boooooooogie!

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
7th October 2006 11:25 PM
mojoman holland pop festival 1970?
8th October 2006 08:51 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes it is, Stamping Ground Festival
8th October 2006 09:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)