ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Under My Thumb - Hyde Park - June 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: turn out the lights, the party is over (tower records content) Return to archive Page: 1 2
6th October 2006 07:41 PM
mac_daddy sort of old news, but it is now official.

as of today tower records has been purchased by a liquidator; all the stores will be closed for good within a few weeks...

the shop on sunset in west hollywood was a landmark. i hope someone does something music-related with the space (but i am not holding my breath - its partner landmark across the street, the original spago, was sold a few years ago, and still hasnt turned into anything...)

i still remember walking in there as a kid, and buying blonde on blonde and exile on main street, like it was yesterday...

on the bright side, next week would might be a good time to check for deals...
6th October 2006 07:52 PM
pdog Deals! Cheap music... That's a plus. i worked part time for tower when I first moved to SF. i think i was there about a year... I remeber we got stoned alot, and sold our friends music at a huge discount...
6th October 2006 07:55 PM
GotToRollMe This SUCKS. I knew something was up. I get my blank media there every week (in addition to most of the music I buy) and I was wondering why their supply was dwindling. I was there today, as a matter of fact. I'm gonna miss that Tower at 4th and Broadway.
And Virgin Megastore marches on...
A moment of silence, please.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
6th October 2006 08:00 PM
pdog
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This SUCKS. I knew something was up. I get my blank media there every week (in addition to most of the music I buy) and I was wondering why their supply was dwindling. I was there today, as a matter of fact. I'm gonna miss that Tower at 4th and Broadway.
And Virgin Megastore marches on...
A moment of silence, please.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

I went to The Virgin megastore, not fucking virgin for sale!
6th October 2006 10:20 PM
GotToRollMe I worked for Virgin for awhile. And even then I got my stuff at Tower. Virgin sucks.
6th October 2006 10:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This SUCKS. I knew something was up. I get my blank media there every week (in addition to most of the music I buy) and I was wondering why their supply was dwindling. I was there today, as a matter of fact. I'm gonna miss that Tower at 4th and Broadway.

Didnt Keith used to own an apartment just above or beside it? (maybe he still owns the property?)
6th October 2006 10:28 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Didnt Keith used to own an apartment just above or beside it? (maybe he still owns the property?)

Now that you mention it, I think that's the building he used to live in in the early '80s.
7th October 2006 12:09 AM
mojoman the record store has been dying a long slow death. the independents first and now tower. what a shame they had a awesome selection. their online inventory has radically dwindled in the last year. they have been losing money for years. virgin aint the same. while shopping online is cool nuthin beats hands on shopping. live music venues vanishing too. now this. you don't realize what you have till its gone.....
7th October 2006 06:41 AM
corgi37 Ah, its all down load this and youtube that.

I still miss saving weeks to buy a LP, or maybe begging Mum for the dosh, studying the cover with a magnifying glass (i did this for Captain Fantastic!) and loving that scratchy sound. I also miss going to the footy, standing in the rain, and getting pissed. Now its all under cover, fancy faggot food, and "corporate seating".

We had it good brothers and sisters, but try telling that to the young gangsta's and "ho's" today.
7th October 2006 10:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm lucky that I live close to a major college town. I still have a very cool indie record store to go to. You can even still buy actual records there. 45's even!

There used to be three, but now it's down to one. But that one is a really good one, and he does a pretty steady online business too. So City Lights will be around for a few more years at least.

7th October 2006 12:47 PM
Madafaka I think that I don't understand this.
All TW will be closed ¿?
7th October 2006 12:56 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I think that I don't understand this.
All TW will be closed ¿?

Yes, Mada, they're closing all the Tower Records stores.
7th October 2006 09:32 PM
mojoman
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

i went to tower today just to walk around and take it in. still too early to gnaw on the bones......
7th October 2006 10:45 PM
oldkr just for the record ( sorry!)keith rented the 2 places abover tower records for quite a while... some chick called eileen kept calling him there looking for the owner!!

OLDKR
8th October 2006 11:47 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
oldkr wrote:
just for the record ( sorry!)keith rented the 2 places abover tower records for quite a while... some chick called eileen kept calling him there looking for the owner!!

OLDKR

Ah, the old Silk Building, that's right! It's all coming back to me now...

8th October 2006 12:04 PM
Madafaka
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

I can't believe it!
8th October 2006 12:46 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

I can't believe it!

Yeah, there have been reports that they were going bankrupt for some time now, but I never thought it would actually happen. 'Tis a dark day for us music lovers, that's for sure.
8th October 2006 03:11 PM
jostorm This is tragic, but a simple sign of the times. I still buy everything as CD, because I want something tangible, with artwork, plus if I have the hard copy, then my friends can borrow it, pretty much the way it was when we all still had vinyl...

My daughter, however, is 13 and downloads absolutely everything....Somehow sitting in front of a computer and browsing through iTunes doesn't have the same appeal to me as browsing through the shelves of a record store...

Who would have thought that when Johnathan Ive designed the sleek ipod he would change the world to this extent????
First Apple's fortunes changed overnight, everyone in my family except the dog, the cat and the parrot has an ipod, and now all the record shops are closing down....
On the other hand I can't but feel a little bit of "well fuck you, you overpricing record stores, will ya?" after having paid exorbitant prices for records and CDs for years and years and years (at least in the UK...)...
8th October 2006 07:30 PM
glencar It's my fault. I used to spend hundreds a year at Tower, mostly the one in Westbury but also the one below Keef's place. Now I mostly buy at Costco for major releases or Borders or amazon.com. I'm guessing millions of others switched.
8th October 2006 07:47 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I thought that keith still owned the space up there...2nd from the top...loft/studio/crash pad...never heard of him vacating...
8th October 2006 10:45 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's my fault. I used to spend hundreds a year at Tower, mostly the one in Westbury but also the one below Keef's place. Now I mostly buy at Costco for major releases or Borders or amazon.com. I'm guessing millions of others switched.

You shall be greeted and then severely disciplined.

8th October 2006 10:52 PM
mojoman
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

You shall be greeted and then severely disciplined.

LOL!!!
9th October 2006 12:02 AM
Paranoid_Android Always thought they were the biggest rip-off...$17.99 for a CD...what the fuck is that...much prefer the more mom&pop cd shops...that let you listen before you plunk down 12 bucks for a cd new...6 for used...

I love downloading as well...very cool to pay 10 bucks for the latest on iTunes right from my chair...and its great to go shopping naked too!!! Can't do that at the mom&pop shops w/o someone asking for my autograph and such.
9th October 2006 09:30 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Always thought they were the biggest rip-off...$17.99 for a CD...what the fuck is that...much prefer the more mom&pop cd shops...that let you listen before you plunk down 12 bucks for a cd new...6 for used...

I love downloading as well...very cool to pay 10 bucks for the latest on iTunes right from my chair...and its great to go shopping naked too!!! Can't do that at the mom&pop shops w/o someone asking for my autograph and such.

Watch it, I'm bringing my brass knuckles to AC.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
9th October 2006 10:06 AM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Watch it, I'm bringing my brass knuckles to AC.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Donkey Punch?
9th October 2006 10:19 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

Donkey Punch?

LOL!
9th October 2006 11:09 AM
jb Great news....nice to see progress.
9th October 2006 11:33 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:
Great news....nice to see progress.

That's it! I'm bringing the "big whip" to AC.
9th October 2006 11:35 AM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

That's it! I'm bringing the "big whip" to AC.

Sadly, they are not playing WTWCD mthis tour.
9th October 2006 11:37 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:

Sadly, they are not playing WTWCD mthis tour.

I shall have to get on the horn to Chuck about this immediately! I'm going to need "mood music!"

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)