ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Under My Thumb - Hyde Park - June 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Stewart on songwriting (SSC) Return to archive
5th October 2006 10:02 PM
Mel Belli When was the last time you wrote your own song?

"I think it's been about four years. There's not many songwriters at my age still trying to release albums of their own music, and I'm not planning on it myself. Paul Simon, Elton John, the Rolling Stones have all penned their new records, and all the critics loved them, but they just didn't sell. When you get too old, people don't want to play your songs on the radio, so you have to go about it in a different way ... I love doing these concept records. Love it. There's not many like me."

Much as I hate to admit it - and as much as I don't care for the "American Songbook" covers - I think Rod has a point.
5th October 2006 10:11 PM
deuce
[Edited by deuce]
5th October 2006 10:16 PM
pdog

5th October 2006 10:25 PM
Fiji Joe Is anyone listening to my stuff anymore?
5th October 2006 10:36 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Is anyone listening to my stuff anymore?

Anymore?
6th October 2006 08:19 AM
Green Tea The Stones actually sold fairy well (not great, but not bad either)around the world.

Besides, I'd rather sell 6 copies of an album than make shitty karaoke albums like Rod Stewart is doing these days.
6th October 2006 09:00 AM
F505 Rod Stewart = old bore
6th October 2006 09:50 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
deuce wrote:

[Edited by deuce]

Dylan is outpacing expectations by his own recent standards, but "Modern Times" is hardly a blockbuster.
6th October 2006 10:34 AM
mojoman he lost his muse a long time ago along with his soul and respectability
7th October 2006 06:55 AM
corgi37 Rod Stewart, as has been the case (particularly since leaving the Faces) is only into 1 thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sure, so is every one else. But at least the Stones still have an original thought.
7th October 2006 07:02 PM
Olompali
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
When was the last time you wrote your own song?

"I think it's been about four years. There's not many songwriters at my age still trying to release albums of their own music, and I'm not planning on it myself. Paul Simon, Elton John, the Rolling Stones have all penned their new records, and all the critics loved them, but they just didn't sell.

So making art for self expression isn't a worthy endeavor even when one is so wealthy that there is absolutely nothing to lose?
Rod Stewart is nothing but a greedy, empty shill.

[Edited by Olompali]
8th October 2006 03:11 PM
dirtyden 1 COVERS ALBUM MAYBE.......BUT FIVE IN A ROW.....C'MON ROD'S LOST IT BIG TIME.
8th October 2006 03:44 PM
MidnightRambler Rod was on Leno a couple nights ago singing CCR's "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" and when he sat down and talked to Jay he was out of breath and said: "Haven't done rock and roll in a while...i'm used to doing jazz standards."

That song ain't so rock n'roll, Rod.
8th October 2006 09:00 PM
gotdablouse Looks like he forgot the best songwriter of the bunch, good old Macca ! Listened to Chaos tonight, excellent stuff.

Wonder how his sales compare to ABB's seeing as they were released at about the same time.
8th October 2006 09:19 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Looks like he forgot the best songwriter of the bunch, good old Macca ! Listened to Chaos tonight, excellent stuff.

Wonder how his sales compare to ABB's seeing as they were released at about the same time.

I'm pretty sure they're right down in there in the basement with ABB. But Soldatti will know for sure...
9th October 2006 11:34 AM
Steel Wheels Chaos is a great album. Paul's in top form.

Rod needs to get with the program. Write some songs, get a guitar player, and do it up. It's an easy formula.
9th October 2006 02:37 PM
glencar Chaos has never been so boring! I believe Macca's last opus sold 62,300 copies in the USA.
9th October 2006 02:38 PM
F505 Macca and Stewart: old bores.
9th October 2006 04:02 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
glencar wrote:I believe Macca's last opus sold 62,300 copies in the USA.

That's it? That's pathetic.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)