ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Under My Thumb - Hyde Park - June 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keef guitar questions Return to archive Page: 1 2
3rd October 2006 08:26 PM
Vinyl kills On his open g tuning does he leave the high e string on E or does he tune it to D?

What is his guitar tuned to on Jumping Jack Flash during the 69/70 tours? Does he use a cappo? I don't think I see one used on the Saville theatre footage.

Did he ever use Gibson SG's in the studio or onstage? I only seen him using one on the Goats Head Soup promo's.

Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3rd October 2006 08:30 PM
yellerstang I know he used an SG for Brown Sugar at Muscle Shoals.....through a Fender Twin.
3rd October 2006 08:32 PM
Saint Sway why is Keith now reduced to only playing Chuck Berry licks comprised of sparse notes and random bends? Or worse, crooning while leaning on his guitar.

where is "Keef Riff Hard"?? And how do we get him back?
3rd October 2006 09:00 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

where is "Keef Riff Hard"?? And how do we get him back?

Reproductive cloning, my boy. The future's in reproductive cloning.
3rd October 2006 09:09 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

awesome. Imagine if we could make an entire band of vintage Keiths!!!!
3rd October 2006 09:13 PM
Mel Belli Too much yang, and not enough yin. Without his hatred of Mick, there'd be no Creative Tension!
3rd October 2006 09:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

true tale.

Keith walks in the room. Black Crowes are gathered around chatting with Chuck Leavell....

Chuck: "Keith have you met Rich Robinson yet?"

Keith: "Met him? I invented him!"

ROTFLMAO!

3rd October 2006 09:21 PM
Poplar
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
On his open g tuning does he leave the high e string on E or does he tune it to D?

What is his guitar tuned to on Jumping Jack Flash during the 69/70 tours? Does he use a cappo?

Open G - 5 Strings, 3 fingers, one ass-hole.
JJF - open G, capo at 4th fret (samd for TD & Happy)
3rd October 2006 09:26 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

true tale.

Keith walks in the room. Black Crowes are gathered around chatting with Chuck Leavell....

Chuck: "Keith have you met Rich Robinson yet?"

Keith: "Met him? I invented him!"

ROTFLMAO!

Beautiful. I wonder how Rich took it. For a while there, he was (rightfully) tired of being dogged by Keith comparisons. Privately, though, I'm guessing he didn't mind.
3rd October 2006 09:32 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Beautiful. I wonder how Rich took it. For a while there, he was (rightfully) tired of being dogged by Keith comparisons. Privately, though, I'm guessing he didn't mind.

he laughed. Keith laughed. Everyone in the room laughed. Cuz it was hilarious and partly true. A great Keith one liner - but only meant for a laugh. You know he had his arm around him after that.
3rd October 2006 09:39 PM
Phog
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
On his open g tuning does he leave the high e string on E or does he tune it to D?

What is his guitar tuned to on Jumping Jack Flash during the 69/70 tours? Does he use a cappo? I don't think I see one used on the Saville theatre footage.

Did he ever use Gibson SG's in the studio or onstage? I only seen him using one on the Goats Head Soup promo's.

Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 He tunes the high string to D.
#2 Tuned to open G, but with a capo on the 4th (I think) fret.
#3 Don't know about the studio, but there are pics from '73 where he's playing a white SG onstage.
3rd October 2006 11:46 PM
riffkeither he used a white SG custom on stage during the niacaraguan benefit concert on january 18th 1973 on Midnight rambler .
3rd October 2006 11:50 PM
riffkeither here the link to it
http://micktaylor.free.fr/stonesboots2.htm
4th October 2006 01:16 AM
Drewby
quote:
Phog wrote:

#1 He tunes the high string to D.
#2 Tuned to open G, but with a capo on the 4th (I think) fret.
#3 Don't know about the studio, but there are pics from '73 where he's playing a white SG onstage.

tHe only time he uses 6 six strings in open g is on wild horses live.....so therefore, he cant tune any other guitar's high strings to d because they dont have a 6th string....jumpin jack flash is always played in "B"/capo at 4th fret
other songs played in "B"
tumblin dice
happy...played in different tunings live, but in B on studio
street fighting man
songs in open g:
honky tonk women
sad sad sad
mixed emotions
brown sugar
cant you hear me knocking
wild horese
stray cat blues
soul survivor
all down the line
wanna hold you
before they make me run
hand of fate
crazy mama
if you cant rock me
luxury
moonlite mile
love is strong
sparks will fly
i go wild
must be hell
too tight
cant think of anymore right now
4th October 2006 02:45 AM
Altamont
quote:
Drewby wrote:

tHe only time he uses 6 six strings in open g is on wild horses live.....so therefore, he cant tune any other guitar's high strings to d because they dont have a 6th string....

Ten string acoustic in Rio

6th October 2006 01:20 PM
Vinyl kills Thanks for all the replies!

How does "B" tuning go?

Does anybody know what tuning Keef is using on JJF during the Rock 'n Roll Circus show and the Saville Theatre 1969 show? He is not using a capo on either.

Thanks again!
6th October 2006 02:23 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

How does "B" tuning go?

Does anybody know what tuning Keef is using on JJF during the Rock 'n Roll Circus show and the Saville Theatre 1969 show? He is not using a capo on either.

Thanks again!

I am pretty sure he played in Standard Tuning on those shows.

By putting the capo on the fourth fret of a guitar tuned to Open G, it will play a "B" chord, and has easy finger access to most of the chords used when a song is in the key of B.

Also, he does not remove the "high" string. He removes the "Low E". This does happen to be at the "top" of the guitar when you are holding it and playing it, but due to its tone, is referred to as the "High E"

Dead on about "Happy"...you can play it in B to get the most authentic sound, but they do it in "A" quite a bit when live as it is in an easier key to sing.

Wild Horses is done on a twelve string acoustic guitar with the "Low E" strings removed. It is impossible to get the correct tone on this song playing it in standard tuning. Feel free to PM me with any further questions regarding open/standard tuning and capo'ing.
6th October 2006 02:24 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I am pretty sure he played in Standard Tuning on those shows.

By putting the capo on the fourth fret of a guitar tuned to Open G, it will play a "B" chord, and has easy finger access to most of the chords used when a song is in the key of B.

Also, he does not remove the "high" string. He removes the "Low E". This does happen to be at the "top" of the guitar when you are holding it and playing it, but due to its tone, is referred to as the "High E"

Dead on about "Happy"...you can play it in B to get the most authentic sound, but they do it in "A" quite a bit when live as it is in an easier key to sing.

Wild Horses is done on a twelve string acoustic guitar with the "Low E" strings removed. It is impossible to get the correct tone on this song playing it in standard tuning. Feel free to PM me with any further questions regarding open/standard tuning and capo'ing.

I am so very proud of you my Brother .

Joey
6th October 2006 02:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am so very proud of you my Brother .

Joey

6th October 2006 03:10 PM
Joey

6th October 2006 03:37 PM
nankerphelge Joey?

6th October 2006 08:49 PM
deuce
quote:
Drewby wrote:

tHe only time he uses 6 six strings in open g is on wild horses live.....so therefore, he cant tune any other guitar's high strings to d because they dont have a 6th string....jumpin jack flash is always played in "B"/capo at 4th fret
other songs played in "B"
tumblin dice
happy...played in different tunings live, but in B on studio
street fighting man
songs in open g:
honky tonk women
sad sad sad
mixed emotions
brown sugar
cant you hear me knocking
wild horese
stray cat blues
soul survivor
all down the line
wanna hold you
before they make me run
hand of fate
crazy mama
if you cant rock me
luxury
moonlite mile
love is strong
sparks will fly
i go wild
must be hell
too tight
cant think of anymore right now

Dance Little Sister
Don't Stop
Rip This Joint
Shake Your Hips
Start Me Up
Too Tough
It Won't Take Long
Dangerous Beauty
7th October 2006 11:23 AM
open-g Here's Wild Horses in open G of course but capoed to A,
which is quite unusual.
from Knebworth '76

7th October 2006 11:47 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
open-g wrote:
Here's Wild Horses in open G of course but capoed to A,
which is quite unusual.
from Knebworth '76

Woah. I'm gonna add this to my coffee and cigarette breakfast every morning. What a way to start the day!
7th October 2006 11:59 AM
guitarman53 (From Guitar World Acoustic #58, 2003) In open G tuning (Honky Tonk Women/Brown Sugar/Tumbling Dice) he plays with 5 strings, removes the lowest string.
Jumpin' Jack Flash/You Can't Always Get what You Want/Prodigal Son is in E tuning (low to high-E,B,E,G#,B,E)
Street Fighting Man is in D Tuning (low to high-D,A,D,F#,A,D)
7th October 2006 03:47 PM
guitarman53 I haven't played it in a while, but on "Get Your Ya Ya's Out" Jumpin' Jack Flash is key of B, Chuck Berry songs are in A, all in regular tuning, I've never got to much into open tuning, I perfer just regular tuning, Keith can play some chords by just playing the open strings, but what difference does that make, why go through all the trouble of tuning to a chord, unless one owns 5 guitars, I can see open tuning for slide guitar, but just to play a chord?
7th October 2006 06:26 PM
Mel Belli Holy crap, listen to Ronnie in that Knebworth video! It's always kind of shocking when you hear him at his peak.
8th October 2006 12:06 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Holy crap, listen to Ronnie in that Knebworth video! It's always kind of shocking when you hear him at his peak.

You should hear him lately. Sharp as a razor!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
8th October 2006 11:48 AM
ketvos I've seen pictures of a Ernie Ball Keith Richards custom set. 5strings! However the pic was too small and blurry to allow the string gauges to be seen. Anyone have an answer to this one?
8th October 2006 05:05 PM
open-g
quote:
ketvos wrote:
I've seen pictures of a Ernie Ball Keith Richards custom set. 5strings! However the pic was too small and blurry to allow the string gauges to be seen. Anyone have an answer to this one?

Yeah here we go

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)