ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Hall, London - October 13, 2004
Thanks Moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lennon killer Chapman denied parole... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
October 6th, 2004 04:01 PM
Angiegirl http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/05/c...role/index.html

Lennon killer denied parole

From CNN Assignment Editor Jonathan Wald in New York

(CNN) -- John Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman, has been denied parole for the third time.

In explaining their decision to Chapman on Tuesday, the New York State Division of Parole wrote that it "was based on the extreme malicious intent you exhibited during the instant offense where you fired a handgun multiple times striking your target -- John Lennon."

During a 29-minute interview with a panel of three parole commissioners, Chapman said he killed Lennon because he thought it would generate attention, according to the Division of Parole's statement.

"Although proven true, such rationale is bizarre and morally corrupt," the statement said.

Chapman, 49, is serving a sentence of 20 years to life in prison for shooting and killing Lennon, one of the four Beatles, outside Lennon's New York City apartment on December 8, 1980.

He has served 24 years of his sentence at the maximum-security Attica Correctional facility in Buffalo, New York, and was previously turned down for parole in 2000 and 2002. He will next be eligible for parole in October 2006.

Chapman is held in a building with 105 other prisoners "who are not considered to pose a threat to him," said Linda Foglia of the New York State Department of Correctional Services.

Chapman has his own prison cell but, according to Foglia, "spends most of his day outside his cell working on housekeeping and in the library."

Yoko Ono, Lennon's widow, submitted a letter requesting that parole be denied. According to Ono's legal representative, it was the same letter Ono submitted for the previous parole hearings.

Ono said that if Chapman were released, "myself and John's two sons would not feel safe for the rest of our lives -- people who are in positions of high visibility and outspokenness such as John would also feel unsafe."

Lennon's murder "managed to change my whole life, devastate his sons, and bring deep sorrow and fear to the world," the letter says.

Over 6,000 people have signed an online petition opposing the release of Chapman.

"Chapman committed a heinous crime, unprovoked and without remorse," the petition says. "He should not be free to harm anyone else. ... Please do not let this man back on the streets."

Some of those who signed the petition included threats of violence against Chapman if he were released.

In her letter to the parole board, Ono said Chapman would not be safe outside of prison. "He will cease to have the security that the state provides him now."

Lennon would have turned 64 this Saturday. Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are the only remaining living members of the popular group.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
October 6th, 2004 04:04 PM
glencar Chapman will never be released.
October 6th, 2004 04:08 PM
Angiegirl What was his original sentence in terms of years? The article doesn't say.
October 6th, 2004 04:08 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Chapman will never be released.

Agreed .............for his OWN safety
October 6th, 2004 04:09 PM
glencar 20 years to life, angie. It's in the article.
October 6th, 2004 04:10 PM
Angiegirl hehehe, yeah, just saw it when I read it again
October 6th, 2004 04:12 PM
glencar He could've been let go in 2000 but his bad behavior kept him in. I agree that he should never be free but I'm pretty tough on crime.
October 6th, 2004 04:17 PM
Angiegirl Yeah, me too. Playing god as in thinking it's up to you to decide about life and death of other persons should never be allowed in my book (but for me that includes death sentences).

Probably best if he stays there. I wonder tho, like Joey implied, what would happen if he's set free? Are there fanatical Lennon fans who'll have their revenge? I was just wondering about that when I saw the article.
October 6th, 2004 04:23 PM
not bound to please The fucker should be released when, and only when, he doubles what Lennon produced in life.

October 6th, 2004 04:27 PM
gypsy Or makes a sweet ass jajouka album!
October 6th, 2004 04:29 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Or makes a sweet ass jajouka album!

Why, did he kill Brian too? I KNEW it!!
October 6th, 2004 04:29 PM
not bound to please
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Or makes a sweet ass jajouka album!

hey - pm me that link. I can only lurk around that place only so long without getting the creeps..

October 6th, 2004 04:34 PM
glencar LOL That jajouka thread gives me the creeps too.
October 6th, 2004 04:35 PM
gypsy Okay, check your PM, lamby. There will be a couple of links sent separately.
October 6th, 2004 04:36 PM
gypsy Anything she posts gives me the creeps. Go read her newest "majic" of jajouka.

My boyfriend's out of town today, and I have nobody to pick on...
[Edited by gypsy]
October 6th, 2004 04:38 PM
glencar I should go play with her.
October 6th, 2004 04:46 PM
gypsy I just saw that you did.
"It takes a special person to appreciate jajouka."
God. She is persistent, I'll give her that.
October 6th, 2004 05:34 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
My boyfriend's out of town today .......

Gyps ...............see ya tonight after the bars .

October 6th, 2004 06:09 PM
kath chapman (back on topic)should sit there and rot. forever. and a day. and then they should just leave him there.

i, for one, would have loved to have gotten my hands on him. miserable bastard.
October 6th, 2004 06:21 PM
glencar Uh, kath, he IS rotting. He did say in an interview that he wishes in his pre-murder days that he didn't have so much time to think. He worked a job where he wandered around all night & brooded. Let's just be glad that he liked jajouka music.
October 6th, 2004 08:27 PM
kath excellent. then my wish has come true.....
October 6th, 2004 08:43 PM
corgi37 I say let him out. What did he do that was so wrong? We still have another 2 to go!
October 6th, 2004 09:30 PM
glencar Ya mean, Ringo's still around?
October 6th, 2004 10:49 PM
kath
quote:
I say let him out. What did he do that was so wrong? We still have another 2 to go!

fuck you!! what a horrific thing to say.

jesus gawd...what an asshole!!!
October 6th, 2004 10:59 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I say let him out. What did he do that was so wrong? We still have another 2 to go!

Like Joey said: You make me very sad...
October 6th, 2004 11:15 PM
glencar If you look elsewhere, he was seriously, seriously drunk. Some slack is called for.
October 6th, 2004 11:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
If you look elsewhere, he was seriously, seriously drunk.

I Wish...
October 6th, 2004 11:27 PM
glencar LOL No shit!
October 6th, 2004 11:32 PM
kath what??? so because he was drunk he didn't know that shooting john 5 times in the back was wrong? or that it might kill him??

that's the biggest line of horseshit i have EVER heard. thankfully, the courts/parole board didn't see it that way.
October 6th, 2004 11:41 PM
glencar NOT Chapman; I was referring to Corgi.
Page: 1 2 3 4