ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Hall, London - October 13, 2004
Thanks Moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vote for Change Concert - Philly Report Return to archive
October 2nd, 2004 03:44 PM
UGot2Rollme from www.Backstreets.com:
------------
The Show: Bruce played MC tonight, appearing on stage very shortly after the ticketed start time with REM's Michael Stipe to greet the crowd. Bruce officially declared a "No BRUUUCE Zone," saying "I will come out and slap you silly. We have too much great music tonight. No BRUUUCING!" He also set out the overall mission of the night: to "fight for a government that is open, forward-looking, rational, and humane -- and we plan to rock the joint while doing so." Next, Bruce introduced opening act Bright Eyes as "someone whose record floored me when it came out."

After a solid 30-minute Bright Eyes set, Springsteen returned around 8:30 to introduce REM by saying that they had inspired him for the last 20 years. An hour later, Bruce came back out to share lead vocals with Stipe on the set-closing "Man on the Moon," having fun goofing on Elvis. Hey baby!

At 10:05, Bruce and the E Street Band took the stage for a two-hour set, beginning with Bruce's solo instrumental, 12-string accoustic version of "The Star-Spangled Banner." That led into a relentless, high-intensity barrage with not a moment wasted -- those first eight songs formed a tight, thematic segment that rocked nonstop, including a full-band version of "Born in the U.S.A.," "Lost in the Flood," and the very welcome return of the full-band "Johnny 99" from the very end of the Rising tour.

John Fogerty came out for 4 songs backed by Bruce and the band, including a hard-driving "Fortunate Son" (a real highlight of the night) and ending by trading off vocals with Bruce on "The Promised Land." Guests came and went for much of the rest of the 19 song set, with Patti Smith devotee Stipe joining in for "Because the Night" (Stipe and Springsteen trading off on the Smith version of the lyric), REM's Mike Mills and Peter Buck clearly having a blast on "Born to Run," Fogerty on "Proud Mary," and all the night's performers on "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" and an explosive closer of Patti Smith's "People Have the Power."

Along with some laying-on-of-hands preacher shtick, "Mary's Place" included a new PSA ("The moment everyone's been waiting for...my Public Service Announcement!") that was tailor-made for an evening of inspirational words and music: "We remain a land of great promise, but we need to move America toward the fulfillment of that promise."

October 2nd, 2004 03:48 PM
UGot2Rollme Bruce's setlist:

Man on the Moon (with REM)//The Star-Spangled Banner/Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/No Surrender/Lonesome Day/Lost in the Flood/Johnny 99/Youngstown/Centerfield (with Fogerty)/Deja Vu All Over Again (with Fogerty)/Fortunate Son (with Fogerty)/The Promised Land (with Fogerty)/The Rising/Because the Night (with Stipe)/Mary's Place/Born to Run (with Mills and Buck)//Proud Mary (with Fogerty)/(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (with all)/People Have the Power (with all)
------------------
keep pushing till it's understood and these Badlands start treating us good...
October 2nd, 2004 05:21 PM
Moonisup ccr was a good band
October 2nd, 2004 06:02 PM
Soldatti I will buy Fogerty's new album next week.
October 2nd, 2004 06:51 PM
Bloozehound Fogerty is going to be on Austin City Limits tonight
October 2nd, 2004 07:55 PM
Gazza >Bruce's setlist:

Man on the Moon (with REM)//The Star-Spangled Banner/Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/No Surrender/Lonesome Day/Lost in the Flood/Johnny 99/Youngstown/Centerfield (with Fogerty)/Deja Vu All Over Again (with Fogerty)/Fortunate Son (with Fogerty)/The Promised Land (with Fogerty)/The Rising/Because the Night (with Stipe)/Mary's Place/Born to Run (with Mills and Buck)//Proud Mary (with Fogerty)/(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (with all)/People Have the Power (with all)

Christ!!!
October 5th, 2004 01:26 AM
Dear Doctor springsteen sucks
October 5th, 2004 02:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
ccr was a good band

oh yes, with the faces, the doors, ten years after , my fav band from the 70's!!
keep on choogling is their midnight rambler!!
October 5th, 2004 08:51 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

oh yes, with the faces, the doors, ten years after , my fav band from the 70's!!
keep on choogling is their midnight rambler!!

So I must check this out Julian. Thank you the the hint!

Cheers!
October 5th, 2004 08:52 AM
J.J.Flash I know almost every CCR's songs...but this one I must admit I can't remember.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
October 5th, 2004 11:48 AM
glencar Midnight Special, maybe?
October 5th, 2004 01:42 PM
Gazza CCR are possibly my favourite American band ever, and Fogerty one of my favourite songwriters. Pity he's not more prolific these days but the new songs sound quite good from what I've hard so far.
October 5th, 2004 01:53 PM
glencar I heard the Deja vu song. Dull. I liked his Rock & Roll Girl song from a deacde or so back.
October 5th, 2004 03:56 PM
Dan He also set out the overall mission of the night: to "fight for a government that is open, forward-looking, rational, and humane -- and we plan to rock the joint while doing so."

This doesnt describe either party to me. I once respected Bruce as an idealist and for his generosity and dedication to his causes but now he is just another party hack, only slightly more eloquent than Ted Nugent. How sad.
October 5th, 2004 04:01 PM
jb This is why Bush is being re-elected~!!!
October 5th, 2004 04:07 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
This is why Bush is being re-elected~!!!

You are right. That would be the best thing in the long run for the Democratic party and probably the worst thing for the Republicans since it will be followed by 20 years of Democrat administrations (like 1933-1953)
October 5th, 2004 04:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I heard the Deja vu song. Dull. I liked his Rock & Roll Girl song from a deacde or so back.

from '85 believe it or not! Thats from "centerfield" - a fine album indeed!
October 5th, 2004 04:38 PM
jb Libe meine abs shae monkee!!! The American people are about evenly spilt....however, people like Moore and The Boss infuriate the undecided and will swing the election towards Bush...
October 5th, 2004 04:44 PM
glencar I can't believe Bush is going to be re-elected!
October 5th, 2004 05:45 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I can't believe Bush is going to be re-elected!

It will NEVER Happen !

** " Sniff " **

LBJOEY !
October 5th, 2004 06:02 PM
glencar 4 weeks from hence.
October 5th, 2004 09:32 PM
IanBillen
Mixing so much politics with Rock n Roll is un-called for.
I don't mind a little influence sure but you can be sly about it so folks can read between the lines if they choose such as Street Fighting Man or Gimme Shelter. While still both these songs can pertain to many different situations or may not be taken politically at all. Highwire had politics sure, but I think Political rallys have their place and Rock n Roll concerts have their place. I think mixing the two events is stupid.
Same goes with Bono from U2. Try being a Rock star, and not a Liberalistic politician or Mr. Green Peace as he is for 90% of his doings. Everyone has views sure, but I am tired of him on every charity event or political rally there always trying to save the world.

I think the vote for change concert tour thing is weak, and uncalled for.
Gimme a Break
Ian