ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick on both, best and worst duets ever! Return to archive
6th October 2007 12:48 PM
moy Ebony and Ivory voted worst duet

Ebony and Ivory featured on McCartney's Tug Of War album
Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder's paean to racial harmony, Ebony and Ivory, has been named the worst duet in history by listeners to BBC 6 Music.

The song, which reached number one in 1982, topped a list which also included McCartney's schmaltzy duet with Michael Jackson, The Girl Is Mine, at six.

Sinead O'Connor and The Chieftains were the surprise winners of the best collaboration vote, with Foggy Dew.

David Bowie and Mick Jagger's cover of Dancing In The Street made both lists.

BEST MUSICAL COLLABORATIONS
1. Foggy Dew - Sinead O'Connor & The Chieftains
2.Fairytale Of New York - Kirsty MacColl & The Pogues
3. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
4. Where The Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue
5. Walk This Way - Run DMC & Aerosmith

Full list on 6 Music

Results of the poll, named Come Together, were revealed by DJ Phil Jupitus in a top 40 countdown on Saturday.

He revealed that Fairytale of New York, by the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, would have been number one had it not been for a campaign by fans of the Chieftains song.

"The voting was closing on Sunday," he explained. "Between Friday and the vote closing, all of the votes came in for the number one record.

"I congratulate the fans who were organised enough to ruin our vote."

WORST MUSICAL COLLABORATIONS
1. Ebony & Ivory - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
2. You're The One That I Want - Arthur Mullard & Hilda Baker
3. Dancing In the Streets - Mick Jagger & David Bowie
4. Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosby & David Bowie
5. Save Your Love - Rene & Renata
The result meant that Fairytale of New York came second, with Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure third.

The top five was rounded out by Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue's murder ballad Where The Wild Roses Grow and Walk This Way by Run DMC and Aerosmith.

A Comic Relief version of Walk This Way - featuring girl bands Sugababes and Girls Aloud - took joint tenth place in the worst collaboration list with Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas.

Also on the list of disastrous duets were Arthur Mullard and Hilda Baker's comedy remake of You're the One that I Want, which came second.

David Bowie was in third and fourth place - with Dancing In The Street and Little Drummer Boy, his Christmas collaboration with Bing Crosby, respectively.

Fifth place went to Rene and Renata's number one ballad Save Your Love.
6th October 2007 12:59 PM
guitarman53 I don't know where they get of calling some of those collaborations worst, if that's the case, who's suppose to be better? I thought for instance all Bowie collaborations with Queen, Jagger & Bing Crosby were fantastic.
6th October 2007 01:41 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE THE FOGGY DEW..CHECK IT OUT IF YOU DONT KNOW IT
6th October 2007 04:03 PM
glencar I'm amazed that the Bowie/Bing duet got bad votes. It's sublime. I agree that the Foggy Dew is near the top. But where's Ray Charles/Betty Carter's "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? And whilst Dancing In The Streets isn't as good as I thought it was, it's surely not in the top 5 wordt list either.
6th October 2007 04:25 PM
lotsajizz surprisingly agreeing with Blue, I too dig the Crosby-Bowie duet, especially the video...talk about 'when worlds collide'!
6th October 2007 04:42 PM
robpop "Fairytale" is a great song. Those goddamn Chieftains fans fucking every thing up.

Shane MacGowan was interviewed about this. Very interesting.

6th October 2007 04:54 PM
pdog This is a duet

6th October 2007 04:55 PM
pdog This too...

6th October 2007 05:05 PM
robpop
quote:
pdog wrote:
This is a duet

I now see why the guy is a professional alcoholic.
6th October 2007 11:16 PM
MrPleasant
Paul is still underrated after all these years. Thank God.
6th October 2007 11:40 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
robpop wrote:

I now see why the guy is a professional alcoholic.

I know the type. Their breath is kinda ugly.

6th October 2007 11:51 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Just stay in your home. And find a decent hobbie. Like, collecting guns.
7th October 2007 04:09 AM
Child of the Moon I'll make it known right now.

I love the Jagger/Bowie Dancing in the Street. Unabashedly. As far as Bowie is concerned, it's one of the three decent things he did in the 1980's (the others being Blue Jean and Time Will Crawl... I don't count Scary Monsters, though, because I think of it as more of a late '70's disc).

And as for Jagger's solo output of the '80's, this one stands out above pretty much everything else.
7th October 2007 10:24 AM
robpop
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Look what Larry Mullen does when you take a piss break,

7th October 2007 10:32 AM
bilsim What about Joy? I'm not even joking, I love that song!
7th October 2007 11:43 AM
Highwire Rob LOL -- Here's one of Gazza's favorites, I'm sure! Jon's ego is so mighty it has the sheer power to erect houses for humanity! (Mind you, I don't see him so much as scuff his own nail on a two-by-four.)

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)