ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's only rock'n'roll, not a history lesson, says Mick Jagger Return to archive
4th October 2007 11:41 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Times Online
October 5, 2007

It's only rock'n'roll, not a history lesson, says Mick Jagger
Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent of The Times

Schools should teach proper history not pop music, Sir Mick Jagger has suggested, after discovering that the Rolling Stones are now a topic on the GCSE syllabus.

Still rolling at 64, the rock icon was responding to a Bristol teacher who asked how best to present the cultural importance of the Rolling Stones to a class of eager history students.

Despite being the subject of numerous academic works, Sir Mick said it's only rock'n'roll and the Stones's importance in the grand scheme of things may have been overstated.

In a BBC News website question and answer session, Alison McClean wrote: "I am currently teaching my year 11 students about the impact of the Rolling Stones in preparation for their GCSE history coursework on Britain in the 1960s. How does Mick feel about being part of the history curriculum and, if he was sitting the exam himself, how would he describe the Stones's impact on Britain?"

Jagger, who passed O-level history at Dartford Grammar School in 1959, was less than impressed. "I suppose pop music was very important in the 1960s, it became perhaps too important. It was one of the things in popular culture," he said.

"Alison, I'm sure you're teaching it as part of the whole popular culture movement. I'm sure it's brilliantly accurate - or perhaps not because if you look up a lot of it, it's nonsense."

He was speaking as a concerned parent. "I have a daughter who's doing GCSEs at the moment," he revealed. "She hasn't got me in her syllabus. She's much more traditional. It's more the cause of World War I, that sort of thing."

The best he could say for lessons in Dad's role in the Sixties cultural revolution was that "it was an interesting historical tipping point".

Sir Mick benfited from a traditional schooling at Dartford where Latin was obligatory, masters donned gowns and pupils wore a cap at all times with a regulation blazer with gold trim.

His first report in June 1955 placed him fifteenth out of 30 pupils. His form master, Dick Allen, wrote that he had made "a good start". His academic performance went into steep decline after he discovered "music and girls".

Contemporaies recall a lecture young Jagger gave to the school's historical society on the blues.

The high-point of his Dartford career came when the emerging rebel led a protest against the quality of school dinners, which resulted in the dismissal of a kitchen supervisor.

"It was probably the greatest contribution to the school I ever made," Jagger told The Times in 2000, before returning to open a performing arts centre in his name. He emerged with seven O levels and two A levels in June 1961, and gained a place at the London School of Economics.

Sir Mick told the website questioners that if he had not gone on to amass a £215 million fortune from rock: "I'd be in Africa trying to help a beleaguered economy."

Despite concluding a £100 million-grossing two-year tour, the veteran rockers are not done yet. "I'm sure the Rolling Stones will do more things and more records and more tours and we've got no plans to stop any of that really," he predicted.

But they will snub offers to play at the Glastonbury Festival in the closing slot reserved for rock legends. Sir Mick said: "I don't want to play Glastonbury on the Sunday night in the pouring rain, which is what The Who did this year.

"I was watching it on the telly, and my kids were there. I'm on the phone saying ‘it's awful'. They said it's really fun, but it didn't look fun to me. You've got to pick your slot."

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
4th October 2007 12:35 PM
glencar 9 threads from one interview article?
4th October 2007 12:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
9 threads from one interview article?

I didn't see any of them....except maybe the post that said one could ask a question. That might be on page two already.
4th October 2007 12:45 PM
glencar There have been several posted. Just an observation, liar.
4th October 2007 12:52 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
9 threads from one interview article?

There's like 4 baseball threads too...
4th October 2007 12:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
......, liar.

PROVE IT.
4th October 2007 12:53 PM
glencar Yes but the Yankees are in it!
4th October 2007 12:54 PM
glencar
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

PROVE IT.

LOL You deleted the thread, ya goddam phony!
4th October 2007 12:54 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes but the Yankees are in it!

Yanks like Philly, have no decent pitching.
4th October 2007 12:55 PM
glencar We shall see. I won't get to see the entire game as I have an all-important tennis match tonight.
4th October 2007 12:58 PM
pdog I'm gonna miss alot too, I got three things to do between Noon and about 4 PM.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)