ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chambers Brothers' Time Has Come Today Once Again Return to archive
2nd October 2007 06:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Chambers Brothers' Time Has Come Today Once Again
by conqueroo
Jazz Press Service

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2007/10/0201.html

Four early blues/soul/roots albums by the Chambers Brothers from the Vault label are reissued on Collectors' Choice Music. The Chambers Brothers will forever best be known for their 1968 hit "The Time Has Come Today" on Columbia Records. But long before they inked with CBS, the Mississippi-bred, California-weaned sibling band logged an extensive discography of bluesy soul recordings on Jack Lewark's L.A.-based indie Vault label, known primarily for the surf band the Challengers. On October 31, 2007, Collectors' Choice Music will reissue four out-of-print early Chambers Brothers albums: People Get Ready for the Chambers Brothers; Now, Shout!; and Feelin' the Blues.

Steeped in the gospel hymns dating back to their Mississippi Southern-Baptist church upbringing, George, Willie, Lester and Joe Chambers' earliest music freely combined blues, folk, soul and gospel. Their earliest sides included a gospel single for the Proverb label and a Folkways album with Barbara Dane. Signing with Vault in 1965, their recordings juxtaposed covers of blues standards with original compositions. The band became a stalwart presence at L.A.'s legendary Ash Grove folk venue. Only on their departure to Columbia did their soul become psychedelicized.

Vault Records recorded a passel of material in a short time, and released much of it concurrent with the Chambers' Columbia recordings. Collectors' Choice presents these early albums all fully re-mastered and with extensive notes by music historian Richie Unterberger.

People Get Ready for the Chambers Brothers: The Chambers Brothers' first album was recorded live at the Ash Grove, '60s home of the burgeoning L.A. folk scene, and at the Unicorn in Boston. Ed Michel (best known for his work with Impulse! in later years) produced the album, which includes covers of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready, " Lowell Fulson's "Reconsider Baby, " Hank Ballard's "Tore Up, " Gershwin's "Summertime" and a signature cover of "It's All Over Now" more faithful to writer Bobby Womack's original than to the Rolling Stones.

Now: Folk revival graphics on People Get Ready's cover were replaced with a flower-power look on Now, the band's second Vault long player, released in 1966. Like People Get Ready, the album was recorded live at the Ash Grove and Unicorn, and consisted of covers of blues and R&B classics including "High Heel Sneakers, " "Baby Please Don't Go, " "What I'd Say, " "Long Tall Sally, " "C.C. Rider" and "It's Groovin' Time."

Shout!: The cover of the 1968 release Shout! probably caused confusion in the marketplace as its lettering and overall look was suspiciously Columbia-like. The music nods to the Chambers' gospel roots as well as the rock sound they were rapidly embracing. Like its two predecessors, Side One of Shout! consisted entirely of live covers including the Isley Brothers' title track, which holds its own with the original. Side Two, however, featured mainly originals recorded in the studio. Highlights are Willie Chambers' harmonica-laced "There She Goes" and Joe Chambers' "It Rained The Day You Left, " which has more in common with Vault label-mates the Beau Brummels than to blues or R&B. Also included is "Love Me Like the Rain, " penned by Brian Keenan, the group's drummer on the later Columbia recordings.

Feeling the Blues: By the time Vault released its fourth and final Chambers Brothers album, the band had already hit the big time on Columbia. But Vault had vaulted several albums worth of music from which this was culled. Like Shout! before it, Feeling the Blues was a mélange of live and studio material. The album tarried off in many musical directions: there's a cover of Ray Charles' "I Got a Woman" along with folk anthem "House of the Rising Sun" and gospel standard "Just a Closer Walk With Thee." There's even a jazz track ("Undecided, " co-written by trumpeter Charlie Shavers in the '30s.) A pair of Chambers originals — Lester's "Girls, We Love You" and Joe's "Don't Lose Your cool, " opened each side of the original LP.

By the time Vault released the lion's share of these albums, the Chambers Brothers were onto greener pastures. Yet the Vault sides document the band's blues, folk, gospel and soul roots of which later fans might not know existed — until now.

2nd October 2007 06:14 PM
Starbuck
2nd October 2007 06:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

Someone might want these records.
2nd October 2007 06:19 PM
Starbuck you have a PhD in how to make crappy posts.
2nd October 2007 06:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
you have a PhD in how to make crappy posts.

Uhhh....I'm rendered speechless.
2nd October 2007 11:35 PM
andrews27 Am I sick? I've always wanted to hear Iggy cover "Time."
2nd October 2007 11:37 PM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
you have a PhD in how to make crappy posts.

+ he's a douchebag liar!
3rd October 2007 01:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
3rd October 2007 02:00 PM
Dan
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Uhhh....I'm rendered speechless.

You never have anything to say but it doesn't stop you from posting anyway.
3rd October 2007 08:17 PM
Brainbell Jangler The first big rock concert I attended was the Chambers Brothers, in August 1970.
3rd October 2007 08:27 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Am I sick? I've always wanted to hear Iggy cover "Time."

Yes. And so have I.
4th October 2007 01:03 AM
oldkr Brit and k-fed should cover it ala steve earle and sheryl crow

OLDKR
5th October 2007 06:16 PM
guitarman53 I've heard that song so many times "Time Has Come Today" that I'm sick of it, it's suppose to be part of the psychedelic experience in the 60's, I can think of so many songs that were real psychedelic then that one, & anybody from the 60's knows their favorites, it was not The Chambers Brothers.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)