ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Radiohead says "EFF YOU" to retailers... Return to archive
1st October 2007 09:58 PM
Paranoid_Android In a true ( or altruistic)Rock and Roll move...Radiohead has announced that their new CD will be released on Oct 9...on their website only, at this time...oh, yeah,...you get to PAY WHATEVER YOU WANT!!! Just add about a buck for some Brit surcharge...like an ATM charge...Here is the article...

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9788511-7.html?tag=nefd.blgs

Here is the Direct link:

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

This reminds me of The Clash...when they recorded SANDINISTA...they Epic/CBS said, NO WAY...it will be too much at the registers...we can turn this TRIPLE album into THREE single albums and make mucho dinero...the Clash said FUCK YOU...and had it released as a triple album at a single album price!!! The rest is history...

PRINCE did the same thing w/ PLANET EARTH...He gave away about 10,000 copies w/ a daily tabloid in London,a few months ago...also...on the MUSICOLOGY tour...everyone who entered the gates (at least, here in the US) got a free full length CD too!!!

FYI...I paid $1.95 for my Radiohead download...
1st October 2007 10:01 PM
Mel Belli Pretty huge deal, with huge implications. If it works, who needs a record label? And the piracy problem -- solved. No advances, no promo copies, hence no leaks. Everyone gets it at the same time.
1st October 2007 10:06 PM
mrhipfl that's the future. You can make great sounding demos in your own house relatively cheaply nowadays. All you need is good software, which you can get for free online, and some good recording equipment. No need for a studio. And record companies are unnecessary as well because people nowadays download most of their music anyways. The future looks good for rock n' roll.
1st October 2007 10:15 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Record companies are unnecessary as well because people nowadays download most of their music anyways. The future looks good for rock n' roll.

I can't believe that a major hasn't dumped the entire hard disc concept altogether...so much waste,(money AND resources).
1st October 2007 10:41 PM
pdog I can only imagine how many bands are kicking themselves for not thinking of this... Tim Armstrong did the same thing a few months ago with A Poets Life... Although it was released on disc for purchase he offered up free digital downloads. His band Rancid rejected major label offers and they stuck with Epitaph and said fuck you and kept all creative rights.... the rest is history... It takes some serious integrity to turn dowm millions of dollars, for your art...
1st October 2007 10:53 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:
I can only imagine how many bands are kicking themselves for not thinking of this... Tim Armstrong did the same thing a few months ago with A Poets Life... Although it was released on disc for purchase he offered up free digital downloads. His band Rancid rejected major label offers and they stuck with Epitaph and said fuck you and kept all creative rights.... the rest is history... It takes some serious integrity to turn dowm millions of dollars, for your art...

I always thought Pearl Jam would be the first major band to go. But they waited too long. Nobody would care now.
1st October 2007 11:09 PM
oldkr i'm sure radiohead have more money than they'll ever spend-great PR for their album!

OLDKR
1st October 2007 11:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I always thought Pearl Jam would be the first major band to go. But they waited too long. Nobody would care now.

What do you mean "to go"? Do you mean quit the label? IMO, once you sign, you've signed away alot... I did admire the attempt to rid of of Ticketmaster, but that didn't work out...
1st October 2007 11:31 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:

What do you mean "to go"? Do you mean quit the label? IMO, once you sign, you've signed away alot... I did admire the attempt to rid of of Ticketmaster, but that didn't work out...

Radiohead was on a major, too. If they'd been indie all along, nobody would be oohing and ahhing their recent move. It's a Nixon-to-China thing, I think.
1st October 2007 11:41 PM
pdog
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Radiohead was on a major, too. If they'd been indie all along, nobody would be oohing and ahhing their recent move. It's a Nixon-to-China thing, I think.

Major labels kill cool bands... That I know. They always want a repeat of former success, reject albums b/c they don't hear a hit...
i hate to say it too, but it's true here. People always griping about The Stones record sales and having another hit... I just want music that rocks and I will play alot... Fuck hits and record sales... if it's good, people will get it! I'm off topic of sorts, but Jagger is trying to make hits. He's so wrapped up in the business he lost the art, and Keith is just so lost, he is just a parody of his former self... Put them together and it will not translate into a good song, maybe three good songs... but not an album.
3rd October 2007 03:17 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yes...but the impression I get is that they made their $$$ on the major with their art...and now the just want to make their art w/ the icing on the cake being some more money directly into their own pockets...they might even make more bucks (pounds) w/o all the middle men/retail/etc...

3rd October 2007 03:27 PM
Dan While railing on his record company, Trent Reznor said when he is out of the contract, his albums will be available for $4 the day they are done.
3rd October 2007 03:42 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Dan wrote:
While railing on his record company, Trent Reznor said when he is out of the contract, his albums will be available for $4 the day they are done.

AWESOME...
3rd October 2007 04:45 PM
time is on my side Actually, I would have to disagree with the idea that everyone will be downloading and CD's or some replacement form of CD will no longer exist.

While the music business has changed and there's no way sales will ever be close to what they once were, the fact remains that there are still artist to this day who still sell million plus worth of CD's at CD prices. So somewhere out there people are still buying these CD's (Dylan sold close to a million.) Of course, it's nowhere near as profitable as it once was but it is still a profit just a smaller one. The music business will have to change. Change they must as downloading is a fact of life and it will continue to grow. Still, it's like people buying $100.00 concert tickets, there's still going to be a market for the CD's or some alternative form of it because not everyone in the entire world is suddenly going to do 100% download to get their music. Just not going to happen. Some will say "well everyone I know downloads"- that may be true but the numbers from Billboard show that not everyone in the world is doing it.

Again, my point is the audience for CD's or some form of it will continue to shrink, downloading will continue to increase but CD's or some form of it will never be eliminated (just like vinyl was never really eliminated). Why??? The art, the packaging. Some just like it that way. The same way people keep on buying box sets or greatest hit collections of songs they already have. Another reason is the quality of CD or some latest form of it may get better. Not everyone is going to buying the latest software to download at great sound (many will but my point is some won't).

Just checked Radiohead's site. Yeah, you can name your own price and download but noticed something real interesting. Right next to it for a steep 40 pounds you can also get Radiohead's packaging, CD, their art. Most will just download but then, again, some will want to get the whole package. Radiohead's hardcore fans. At 40 pounds a pop sounds to me like someone is going to be making a profit.

Wonder if anyone on this board bought Springsteen's CD??? My guess is that most of the ones that did indeed buy the CD already had it downloaded but for some reason felt the need to buy the CD. Again, most would feel it's a waste of money but some, the Boss's hardcore fans, didn't. If true, then that sure does sound like a future market to me. You know the one where you can make some money.

Edited for spelling

[Edited by time is on my side]
3rd October 2007 05:11 PM
pdog for now I'm still about buying CD's... Although besides Bruce, which i won't even have delivered til next week, I haven't been buying anything. I am buying stuff... Food, gas, groceries and assorted soccer gear (shoes, shin pads, gloves for goal).
4th October 2007 01:01 AM
oldkr "Keith is just so lost"

Actually, my friend you couldn't be more wrong - he has never been more lucid- he has just given up pretending he's into the direction the stones are going, mind you i'm sure $35 million numbs the pain somewhat!

ok boys, back to whatever it is that was "on-topic"

OLDKR
4th October 2007 07:59 AM
MarkP Some folks download, some don't. I think CD sound was a big compromise compared to vinyl. But I still buy CD's and download live ROIO if they are in a lossless compression format. But the MP3's sound like crap, at any resolution, especially when listened to on a good stereo. The idea of artists offering downloads of their albums is excellent, so long as the download files are lossless, and the artist has put time into making a good recording (one reason Dark Side of the Moon continues to popular across generations is that it was recorded so well, and is very easy on the ears to listen to).

4th October 2007 09:32 AM
Jumping Jack Who cares about CD sales, T-shirts are where the money is. Give the music away for free and make a killing on $100 concert tickets and $40 T-shirts.
6th October 2007 08:13 AM
CraigP To put this as simply as possible, the record companies would/are on their knees begging to sign Radiohead a deal because they know it would sell, despite how obscure the album may be. For example, they had Capitol Records under their thumb, otherwise they would not have been able to release 3 'experimental' albums simultaniously (e.x. -Amnesiac; Kid A; & Hail to the Theif) on a major label like they had done, sucessfully.
6th October 2007 08:52 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
CraigP wrote:
the record companies would/are on their knees begging to sign Radiohead a deal because they know it would sell, despite how obscure the album may be.

Desperate - or not as evil as advertised?
7th October 2007 04:12 AM
Child of the Moon Radio Head is a turd wrapped in tinfoil.
7th October 2007 02:43 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
oldkr wrote:
"Keith is just so lost"

Actually, my friend you couldn't be more wrong - he has never been more lucid- he has just given up pretending he's into the direction the stones are going, mind you i'm sure $35 million numbs the pain somewhat!

OLDKR

Why doesn't he do something about it, then? Why just cynically go along with the machine? If he's got something more to say musically, and he's holding back so as not to rock the $558 million boat, then I'm afraid he's a greedy coward.

It's been clear over the last decade or so that, if he's not simply dried up, Keith has been trending away from playing "Stones" music. He could doing what Tom Waits, Dylan, Nick Lowe, etc. are doing: writing and performing with absolutely zero worry about whether it finds an audience. But instead he's turning up in the studio with next to no material and flogging You Got Me Rocking and Start Me Up ad infinitum -- and not particularly well, either.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)