ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels stage '89 - '07 ABB Stage Return to archive
1st October 2007 12:00 PM
Mr Jurkka What stage is coolest Rolling Stones Stage? I think Licks tour stage is the coolest .. cuz' in the second song the massive screens appear.. and they change their posseion during the show..

And i like Steel Wheels stage too its so big that there's many places to go..

1st October 2007 12:04 PM
mrhipfl I'd say Licks, even though I didn't experience it myself. ABB had a really cool stage too.
1st October 2007 12:04 PM
Saint Sway the No Security stage was my favorite.

I hate the big stages. They're ridiculous. Smoke & mirrors...

they are at their best without the bells & whistles and stage gimmicks. Just play tight like a great bar band on a simple flat stage.

plus the seats DIRECTLY to the sides and behind the No Security stage were awesome. What the ABB "onstage" :::cough couch:::: seats should of been. And they were like $50 tickets!!
1st October 2007 12:17 PM
mrhipfl I liked the explosion into the audience of the btb stage. That intro and the opening satisfaction blew me away when I first watched the DVD.
1st October 2007 09:07 PM
robpop
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the No Security stage was my favorite.

I hate the big stages. They're ridiculous. Smoke & mirrors...

they are at their best without the bells & whistles and stage gimmicks. Just play tight like a great bar band on a simple flat stage.

plus the seats DIRECTLY to the sides and behind the No Security stage were awesome. What the ABB "onstage" :::cough couch:::: seats should of been. And they were like $50 tickets!!

Agreed.

But If I had to pick a big stage it would be Vodoo Lounge.
1st October 2007 09:44 PM
glencar The first stage I saw was the Tattoo You tour. That was the best.
1st October 2007 10:08 PM
Paranoid_Android No Security...and the Superbowl stage:

[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
1st October 2007 11:55 PM
M.O.W.A.T. They all had there special quirks. My favourite things about each stage:

1989: the tower -- where Mick starts singing SFTD

1994: the whole stage was my favourite (the cobra, the backdrop lights...)

1998: I saw this show as an arena show (Montreal) and it was a stripped down pre-cursor to the No Security stage (plus I was up close and to the side in the stands)

2002: The Licks stadium stage was a nice stripped down (for a stadium) set up with a cool video screen.

ABB: The travelling b-stage was amazing (not if you were in the first couple of rows -- cause you missed 20min. of the show now that you had 20k fans who used to be behind you who are now in front of you! However, from the stands, it was cool watching it move to the end of the arena/stadium)
2nd October 2007 02:11 AM
bilsim I never liked the licks stage, because back in the day when I'd go to see them on that tour, we could only afford the cheap seats so I'd be stuck at the back of a huge stadium without a big screen to look at, although I did get to see them at the astoria, no stage there and it was great! My very favourite stage is the ABB indoor stage, as used in London, I like the fact it was relatively simple and the colours used were nice, PLUS I haden't actually seen many pictures of it until I got to the o2.
3rd October 2007 07:25 AM
corgi37 This is hard for me to say on so many levels.

We didnt 89 tour or the LICKS stadium show

To me, LICKS stadium is deadly dull.

1989 - Looked ok and 1st use of vid screens for Stones.

ABB - Us well hung, circumcised Aussies got the El-cheapo Latin America stage. The ABB dvd from Austin shows just how incredible the U.S./Euro stadium stage was. I still am pissed we didnt get it. I watched the dvd at a mates house a couple of weeks ago. He's a Floyd tragic. And he was stunned! He was amazed at how incredible the ABB stadium show was. He really enjoyed the dvd. In fact, i spoke to him a couple of days ago and he said...

"Your band has IT. Your band wins!"

But, fuck those pricks for ripping us off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3rd October 2007 08:58 AM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
bilsim wrote:
I never liked the licks stage, because back in the day when I'd go to see them on that tour, we could only afford the cheap seats so I'd be stuck at the back of a huge stadium

Dont blame the show if you can't afford the tickets.
3rd October 2007 11:39 PM
mmdog
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
This is hard for me to say on so many levels.

We didnt 89 tour or the LICKS stadium show

To me, LICKS stadium is deadly dull.

1989 - Looked ok and 1st use of vid screens for Stones.

ABB - Us well hung, circumcised Aussies got the El-cheapo Latin America stage. The ABB dvd from Austin shows just how incredible the U.S./Euro stadium stage was. I still am pissed we didnt get it. I watched the dvd at a mates house a couple of weeks ago. He's a Floyd tragic. And he was stunned! He was amazed at how incredible the ABB stadium show was. He really enjoyed the dvd. In fact, i spoke to him a couple of days ago and he said...

"Your band has IT. Your band wins!"

But, fuck those pricks for ripping us off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I agree with all of this. I didn't see the '89 tour either, and both Licks shows I saw were arena shows. But from the DVD, the Licks stadium stage was pretty basic. Not surprising since that probably the World Tour with the fewest stadium shows. The ABB set was really cool, it was really well done. As Keith said in the 1994 MTV Tour Special, "You can put the Pink Floyd stage in the corner of our's".
3rd October 2007 11:58 PM
andrews27 I've said it before: the Asian stage and Rio stage on Biggest bang beat the Zilker Park mishegas with the cottonwood trees. It's a crime that the best looking stuff on BB isn't letterboxed, while the worst looking stuff is. English overestimation of the importance of Texas to the US and the world.
5th October 2007 10:53 AM
BILL PERKS STEEL WHEELS WAS THE BEST,IMHO
5th October 2007 11:10 AM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
STEEL WHEELS WAS THE BEST,IMHO

Perks ..........................

I would like to nuzzle you

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)