ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Very Best of Mick Jagger - Press Release Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
28th September 2007 12:47 PM
_Boomy_ I think the original list is better than yours.

You don't like "Evening Gown"?
28th September 2007 01:17 PM
Jumacfly the omission of "Blue" is a shame.
I won't buy this joke.
28th September 2007 02:50 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
the omission of "Blue" is a shame.
I won't buy this joke.

Holy shit. I forgot about "Blue".

That one I like a lot.

28th September 2007 02:51 PM
_Boomy_ Please predict # of records sold after the first week of release.

I will say 4,000.
28th September 2007 03:32 PM
glencar 22,000
3rd October 2007 05:02 PM
east_river_trucker I couldn't resist. I bought it. I was in a record store and saw it there . . . and, well . . . it had Memo From Turner on it as well as two She's The Boss videos. It was the DVD that sold it.

Actually, the material isn't that bad. If the Rolling Stones where putting out this stuff I think it would sell well.

Then I came accross Let's Work. Sweet Jesus, those lyrics get on my tit!

Let's work, be proud
Stand tall, touch the clouds
Man and woman, be free
Let's work, kill poverty

La, la, la
Work your way up

OH! so that was why Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, BB King, Jerry Lee Lewis, grew up in humiliating proverty. It was laziness. Now we know - thanks to Mick Jagger's penetrating insight. Cash's parents, and millions of other parents, during the 30s and 40s just didn't work hard enough. They didn't "La, la, la" and work their up and kill the proverty that they lived in. Doing back breaking labor from sunup till sundown farming depleted, mortgaged soil just wasn't working hard enough - the greedy, lazy bastards.

BB and his friends picking cotton in the hot sun all day just wasnt working hard enough - they could have la la la-ed and worked themselves to freedom and wealth. I don't know why the workers didn't think of that themselves - they just needed to stand proud and work harder - maybe work after dark and not sleep at all, that probably would have done the trick. And then they too would have been as rich as the bankers who owned the land and who weren't lazy and greedy and who worked so hard - for a couple of hours in the morning and than again in the late afternoon in an airconditioned office before going home in a mansion and propping their feet up. Yeah! that makes sense!

Mick! - You greedy, lazy, millionaire, bubble head, worthless fuck! - You boney, bald, skinny, shit headed shill for Conservative Politicians, Bankers,and Economists. - You "faggy little leather boy with a smaller piece of stick!"

Do you not think that maybe it was political/economic forces bigger than the people living in proverty that was causeing the proverty - political and economic policies proped up by ultra conservatives? Not their lack of pride or hard work? Or do you think poor people deserve to be poor because they don't work as hard as you do touring for a couple of months every 3 years.
3rd October 2007 05:07 PM
Mel Belli A misinterpretation of "Let's Work": not something I thought I'd have to engage in today! Mick was not saying the poor are lazy; he was saying the more fortunate should work to eliminate poverty, as opposed to saying, well, the poor are lazy.

Is this not obvious?!
3rd October 2007 05:09 PM
east_river_trucker Let's work, be proud
Stand tall, touch the clouds
Man and woman, be free
Let's work, let's work
Get down in the dirt and let's work
Get down in the dirt and let's work
Get up, be free
Get down in the dirt, let's work
Get down in the dirt, let's work
Get down in the dirt
Take off your shirt
Get down in the dirt
Let's work

Yeah Mick. Get down in the dirt like you do. And like the billioniare bankers you perform for.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tuesday July 17, 04:00 PM
London, July 17 (ANI): The Rolling Stones increased their riches by performing a private gig for 500 bankers.

The band reportedly got a whopping 4 million pounds for the 80-minute show.

The rockers performed at a Deutsche Bank party in Barcelona's Catalan National Art Museum.

Band member Sir Mick Jagger expressed his thanks to the bankers for asking them to perform and quipped that the show was a result of the bonuses the bankers had received.

"Thank you for having us. The best part is, it's coming out of your bonuses," the Mirror quoted Jagger, as saying. (ANI)
----------------------------------

Good to know those bank fees are going to something good. Nice to see lean, free-market companies serving the people so well. Let's deregulate banking fees somemore and really make those poor people stand up and work.
3rd October 2007 05:23 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
A misinterpretation of "Let's Work":

Perhaps. But I think the lyrics are quite clear.

quote:
not something I thought I'd have to engage in today!

Sorry for interrupting your reverie.

quote:
Mick was not saying the poor are lazy;

no, but he did say that man and woman need to work and that that would kill proverty. I dissaggree. All the hard work in the world will not make an enslaved person free.

"Just take a deep breath
And work your way up"

That is not a lyric addressed to rich people, who do not have to work their way up. Poor people do. That is the "man and woman" refered to in the song. No where does he say the the rich need to "work" to end proverty.

quote:
he was saying the more fortunate should work to eliminate poverty,

I don't think he says that anywhere in the song. And in his personal life he has done nothing to aleave economic injustice. Not that I think he should - I think he should sing and dance - that's what I pay him for. But I also think he should pay his fair share of the tax burden.

quote:
as opposed to saying, well, the poor are lazy.

You are right. He doesn't really say that. But it is the logical conclusion to the idea suggested in the lyrics.

quote:
Is this not obvious?!

No, not to me.
3rd October 2007 06:17 PM
glencar "dissaggree" You oughta work on getting a fucking dictionary.
3rd October 2007 06:47 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
glencar wrote:
"dissaggree" You oughta work on getting a fucking dictionary.

I can't spell worth a dam.
3rd October 2007 06:55 PM
glencar LOL BTW I agree - "Let's Work" sux.
4th October 2007 04:43 PM
Navin And another list for a Mick solo compilation...
...my idiot list - in no particular order:

Ruthless People (Movie Soundtrack)
I'm Ringing (B-Side)
Lonely At The Top
Just Another Night (Extended Remix)
Throwaway (Remix Version)
Catch as Catch Can (B-Side)
Radio Control
Say You Will (Remix Version)
Shoot Off Your Mouth
Peace For The Wicked
Wired All Night
Put Me In The Trash
Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (B-Side/Live)
Evening Gown
God Gave Me Everything
If Things Could Be Different (B-Side)
Everybody Getting High
Gun
Old Habits Die Hard (with Sheryl Crow)
Charmed Life (Unreleased Outtake)
4th October 2007 10:18 PM
Soldatti Up from 67 to 54 on UK Thursday Midweeks, it could have a small shot for the Top 40.
5th October 2007 03:34 PM
MrPleasant Let's Work: I just take it as a comedy song and it works for me. (If it wasn't catchy, I wouldn't care in the first place.) Why doesn't Mick kill MY poverty?
5th October 2007 03:38 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Up from 67 to 54 on UK Thursday Midweeks, it could have a small shot for the Top 40.

Yes, someone on IORR posted that news too.
5th October 2007 03:41 PM
glencar I ordered the CD/DVD combo from Amazon but that's not cpming for a couple of weeks so I decided to check it out at Best Buy. They don't even have a Jagger section & that's strange because they have every other artist with their own section. His stuff wasn't with the Stones either. Then I checked out Target & they had 3 copies but it was almost as expensive as the CD/DVD version. I next went to Costco where I didn't see it at first. Then I spotted 2 copies. Clapton has about 100 copies available for sale & MJ has 2. I wonder who'll end up on the charts?
6th October 2007 07:51 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
east_river_trucker wrote:

That is not a lyric addressed to rich people, who do not have to work their way up. Poor people do. That is the "man and woman" refered to in the song. No where does he say the the rich need to "work" to end proverty.

I don't think he says that anywhere in the song. And in his personal life he has done nothing to aleave economic injustice. Not that I think he should - I think he should sing and dance - that's what I pay him for. But I also think he should pay his fair share of the tax burden.

I don't want to belabor this, but I think lines like "Can't generosity bring you humility?" make it rather clear whom Mick is addressing the song to (i.e., not poor people).

And just because Mick is not a high-profile charity guy does not in the least mean that he is not a generous giver. On the contrary, I think it's to Mick's credit that he doesn't trumpet his do-goodery. I wish more celebrities were more like him in that regard.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)