ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Small Faces, Humble Pie & Steve Marriott appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
5th July 2007 10:20 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

In the running for second most adorable picture ever posted on Rocks Off (#1 being Charlie/GotToRollMe).

You guys are all WAAAAAAY off about the first concept record. It was recorded by Charlie Ryan in like 1959.

It was released after the success of the Hot Rod Lincoln single and features a succession of songs about the guy in the song, who meets a "stacked" chick in a sidecar. Through the next eight songs they get married, have twins, he has to sell the Hot Rod Lincoln and get a shitty factory job until he gets a new hot rod and rocks again.

The album sort of loses its focus midway through the second side (kinda like Who Sell Out) but considering that Ogden's Nut Gone is, really, only a concept SIDE (side one having nothing to do with the story at all) I figure that's not really an issue.

Charlie was also a major league pedal steel player, making sound effects and commentary with the thing much like Junior Brown.

Clap twice, lean back, twist for a while!
5th July 2007 11:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wow, boss you're a living encyclopedia of rock and related!

Nice story and yes, based on the definition of a concept album with songs linked on the same subject and with defined charcaters that was a concept album (or half an album LOL); never heard about in my life) Do you have it?

BTW, thanks for your comments and ranking of the picture of my daughter Fernanda showing the back of the album, I like the one showing the front too!
5th July 2007 10:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I don't have my thinking cap on! Though I do know that Steve Mariott sings backing vocals on Another Land and maybe plays acoustic guitar?

Very close! Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane recorded backing vocals on "In Another Land" (named "Acid in the Grass" when they recorded). The Small Faces used to record live in the studio, the time they used to spend in the studio to record was minimum so they finished they recordings and found, that the Stones were waiting for Keith and Mick to record but they were experimenting LSD during those days so probably that was the reason they didn't show up, so Bill asked Steve and Ronnie to back him up and they did it. Only backing vocals no guitars.
6th July 2007 01:05 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Tonight's pic, thanks Gypsy!!

6th July 2007 06:00 PM
Tom
quote:

Yes! During The Singer Bowl Music Festival, Flushing Meadow Park in NYC they are performing "Jailhouse Rock". Other guests in this one were Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Ric Lee, Carmine Appice and Glenn Cornick.

Those were the days!

Any recording of this show?
6th July 2007 09:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I don't think there is one
7th July 2007 12:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Video with thanks to Alquit2

"Brilliant Live footage of the Small Faces playing 'E Too D' at the famed Marquee Club in Soho London on the 22nd. March 1966.

There's some small breaks in the sound and picture but it's Fab all the same. I would love to see the whole gig!

7th July 2007 08:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Now an easy trivia (no prize now)

Which member(s) of Small Faces and in which song/album appear(s) with these bands:

• Traffic
  • Rolling Stones
  • Pink Floyd
  • Donovan
  • Jim Capaldi
  • B. B. King
  • Mott the Hoople (hi Mottrush wherever you are now)
  • Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra

Ok, since there's only one answer (thanks Alex aka HT Man) I'm going to answer the rest

• Traffic: Steve Marriott is singing in cockney in Traffic's debut album "Mr. Fantasy" on the second track "Berkshire Poppies", the song was recorded on LSD
  • Rolling Stones : Already answered, Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane appear in TSMR "Acid in the grass" released later as "In Another Land"
  • Pink Floyd: Steve Marriott's dog "Seamus" barks on the song "Seamus" on Pink Floyd's "Meddle" album and in the video "Live at Pompeii"; Steve taught the dog to howl the blues. BTW, Roger Waters was dog sitting "Seamus" because Steve was on tour.
  • Donovan: Steve Marriott plays guitar on "There is a boy for every girl" from the album "Essence to Essence"
  • Jim Capaldi: Steve appears on the album "One Man Mission"
  • B. B. King: Steve and other members of The Pie appear on "BB King in London"; Steve adds guitar and harmonica on the track "Alexis Boogie"
  • Mott the Hoople: (hi Mottrush wherever you are now) Steve makes a great contribution to the song "Midnight Lady" on the album "Brian Capers"
  • Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra: Steve plays harmonica in the album "East Meets West" (1965) before joining the Small Faces.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
7th July 2007 11:23 PM
mojoman
quote:

Ok, since there's only one answer (thanks Alex aka HT Man) I'm going to answer the rest

• Traffic: Steve Marriott is singing in cockney in Traffic's debut album "Mr. Fantasy" on the second track "Berkshire Poppies", the song was recorded on LSD
  • Rolling Stones : Already answered, Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane appear in TSMR "Acid in the grass" released later as "In Another Land"
  • Pink Floyd: Steve Marriott's dog "Seamus" barks on the song "Seamus" on Pink Floyd's "Meddle" album and in the video "Live at Pompeii"; Steve taught the dog to howl the blues. BTW, Roger Waters was dog sitting "Seamus" because Steve was on tour.
  • Donovan: Steve Marriott plays guitar on "There is a boy for every girl" from the album "Essence to Essence"
  • Jim Capaldi: Steve appears on the album "One Man Mission"
  • B. B. King: Steve and other members of The Pie appear on "BB King in London"; Steve adds guitar and harmonica on the track "Alexis Boogie"
  • Mott the Hoople: (hi Mottrush wherever you are now) Steve makes a great contribution to the song "Midnight Lady" on the album "Brian Capers"
  • Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra: Steve plays harmonica in the album "East Meets West" (1965) before joining the Small Faces.

damn voodoo i got just about all those discs and i didnt know that he was involved!!!
8th July 2007 02:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl After Humble Pie and The Faces disbanded, the Small Faces reunited first for this funny miming of "Lazy Sunday" in 1975, as well as "Itchychoo Park" recorded the very same day:

...then, later, in 1977 they reunited again without Ronnie Lane but with Rick Wills (and Jimmy McCulloch for touring) to record a couple of albums with a delicious mixing of Small Faces and Humble Pie styles.

Thanks worcesterjet200 for uploading the video. I have it in a LAser Disc if I have the time I will uploaded in a better quality as this is from a TV broadcast or something like that.
8th July 2007 03:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:

Correction: I had some doubts about Seamus as I just watched my Laser Disc "Live at Pompeii" after some years. It's not Seamus, it was an Afghan Hound so I made a search and found this @ wikipedia

Marriott's dog Seamus made a notable appearance in the song "Seamus" on Pink Floyd's album Meddle. He can also be heard on the Small Faces song "The Universal", which Marriott recorded on a cassette player in his backyard.

The former track appears on the video Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, however, the dog featured in the live recording is not the original Seamus. His vocal styling was reprised by a female Afghan Hound named Nobs with similar musical talents, and in the film the title was altered accordingly to read "Mademoiselle Nobs".
8th July 2007 03:46 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:

Correction: I had some doubts about Seamus as I just watched my Laser Disc "Live at Pompeii" after some years. It's not Seamus, it was an Afghan Hound so I made a search and found this @ wikipedia

Marriott's dog Seamus made a notable appearance in the song "Seamus" on Pink Floyd's album Meddle. He can also be heard on the Small Faces song "The Universal", which Marriott recorded on a cassette player in his backyard.

The former track appears on the video Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, however, the dog featured in the live recording is not the original Seamus. His vocal styling was reprised by a female Afghan Hound named Nobs with similar musical talents, and in the film the title was altered accordingly to read "Mademoiselle Nobs".

LOL...I remember that track! "Meddle" is a great album too.
8th July 2007 03:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wow, this is the first time I'm replying to myself sober
12th July 2007 09:46 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Black Coffee...

More connections with the Rolling Stones

Two of the three singers in this video, Venetta Fields and Clydie King, are the backing vocals on "Tumbling Dice" in the original Exile version (the other credited as "friend" was Merry Clayton)

12th July 2007 10:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Wow, this is the first time I'm replying to myself sober

Don't worry about it. We all have a bad day once in awhile.
12th July 2007 03:49 PM
Tom
quote:
Black Coffee...

More connections with the Rolling Stones

Two of the three singers in this video, Venetta Fields and Clydie King, are the backing vocals on "Tumbling Dice" in the original Exile version (the other credited as "friend" was Merry Clayton)

Great stuff, sweet black angels singing
14th July 2007 02:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl "The Sad Bag of Shaky Jake" live with the first Humble Pie

14th July 2007 10:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The Pie with the Blackberries: Venetta Fields and Clydie King, the back up singers in the original version of "Tumbling Dice"

Now, that's ass-sweat from Jerry the drummer
17th July 2007 11:36 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The only two "Small Faces" survivors!

Apparently it was Steve Marriott and then Ronnie Lane the Small faces formula, but this couple made it big, as you know Mac toured with the Stones and was a member of the New Barbarians with Keith and Ronnie Wood and Kenny was the drummer replacing Keith Moon with The Who.

Mick used to introduce Mac as "Mac from the Small Faces"
18th July 2007 12:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Well, this thread is for Small Faces and not Faces but since they are competely related, here you go!

For those interested there's a new addition to Wolfgang's Vault Concert Archives: The Faces Live
Anaheim Arena
Anaheim, CA
10/17/1973
Tracks: 11
Total Time: 1:03:13

18th July 2007 12:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Part of this show is in the album "Coast to Coast" the one and only official live album by the Faces
18th July 2007 01:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Well, this thread is for Small Faces and not Faces but since they are competely related,

Well... Ronnie Wood is in this show anyway
18th July 2007 01:26 PM
polytoxic http://www.peom.co.uk/whambam.html

Well she was a lady of charms,
A string of young boys on each arm,
She was good to those,
who took off all their clothes or played guitar,

Love comes, stays, goes,
Anyway your mind blows,
Wham bam thank you mam,
We'll boogie 'til the rooster crows

He lived alone, love for none,
He said "pain never hurt anyone",
Surprise surprise,
Consumption on the floor,
Stretcher out the door,
And that was it,

God forsaken empty shell,
Forgotten in a bad smell,
Wham bam look out sam,
The devil claims his own,
To moan in hell.

Shang-a-langa,
Shanga-doo-lang,
Shang-a-lang,
Sahidi momma,
Sahidi momma,
Sahidi gris gris

Well close your breath and hold your eyes,
Turn the corner of surprise,
And there you are.

Well our lives are run by ego freaks,
A walking book of rules he seeks
To keep you in your pigeon hole
Bash you if your soul steps out of line
18th July 2007 01:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great post, greater link and greatest pic

18th July 2007 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ok, tonight post is in fact a re-post of my broadcast, and now it's very easy to download as I uploaded it to our website (rocksoff.org in case you don't know LOL)

The webradio program was about Humble Pie LIVE ONLY; but we arrived late and I brought the music so the engineer aired a song from the archives, he had no Humble Pie so instead we started with the Small Faces

We were exhausted and it's notorious in our voices at the beginning of the program

• LAZY SUNDAY (Small Faces) This was the only studio track and it was included as explained above, we arrived late it was intended for a live version of “30 Days In The Hole” so this is here because a big fuck up on "me" part but cool as a warm up track before the high power electricity provided by the Pie on stage!!

• UP OUR SLEEVES (May 6, 1973 Winterland, San Francisco, CA)

• FOUR DAY CREEP (December 1973 last show of this tour, Philadelphia)

• ROLLING STONE (Muddy Waters) – Since the Rolling Stones have not played this song live in almost 45 years here’s a sample for ya. The song is more than 16 min long so here’s some minutes (Part 1) (Fillmore East, NYC 1970)

• ROAD RUNNER (Green’s Playhouse Glasgow 1972)

• I DON’T NEED NO DOCTOR (Fillmore East, NYC 1970)

• WHATCHA GONNA DO ABOUT IT – (Annie’s Club – Cincinnati, 1983 Last Humble Pie tour) This is also a rare recording as Humble Pie never played Small Faces songs live until this tour)

Enjoy it!

To download the show just click HERE
19th July 2007 11:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Tonight's pic

21st July 2007 11:29 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl As you may know, Steve Marriott was one of the candidates to replace Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones, by coincidence the one who won and became a Rolling Stone was the one who partially replaced him in the Small Faces, Ronnie Wood. Steve was replaced by two musicians Rod Stewart and Ron Wood

Since they were taller than the other members they changed the name later to The Faces, the original members were 5' 5" (1.65 m) while Rod and Ron 5' 10" (1.78 m) and also because it was another band, with a new sound, without Steve it caouldn't be named the same.

When Steve formed Humble Pie Brian Jones asked Steve Marriott to join the embrionic Humble Pie and Steve accepted the proposal, agreed Brian's offer to join' the band but a few days later he passed away.

"It was the press who dished out such tags and it was the press who remained blissfully unaware that Brian Jones had nearly joined the band"

Wow I can't imagine a band with Steve and Brian don't care about the other members but Steve and Brian in the same band would have been explosive! It was a supergroup with Steve, Peter, Greg and Shirley but with Brian it would be incredible!

Some pictures of a members of Humble Pie with members of The Rolling Stones

28th July 2007 08:25 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Here's Mr, Ian Stewart jamming with Ronnie Lane on March 9, 1980 at the WDR TV station in Cologne, West-Germany

2nd August 2007 08:45 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wanna laugh? Watch a very young Peter here http://www.dailymotion.com/scootaway/video/x12nds_the-herd-i-can-fly_music

2nd August 2007 08:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl To honor Joey's birtdhday... This is Ronnie and Pete, The ROugh Mix sessions

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)