ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA-6th October 2005
© Marisa Roman, Daily Progress and Richmond Times Dispatch with thanks to moy and Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Small Faces, Humble Pie & Steve Marriott appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
3rd July 2007 11:12 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I haven't heard this Small Faces number, but Whole Lotta Love is essentially a cover version of the Willie Dixon penned You Need Love, which indecently, The Small Faces covered on their debut album as You Need Loving. Maybe this High Willie is another version of it.

LOL Alex, as I wrote in my first message of course I know are based on Willie Dixon song (and he stole that one from starving musicians) but check the way Robert Plant sings that one, and the arrangement, it was based by far more on the Small Faces cover than the Willie Dixon cover (the song is not by Willie anyway)

Listen that one or the one in the first studio album, I'm going to upload it later
3rd July 2007 11:14 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Hey SS, say hi to Keith (Christopher)!!

will do Voodoo!!!

keep the awesome clips and photos coming!!

3rd July 2007 11:21 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is one I uploaded (Thanks John Hellier)

3rd July 2007 11:31 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:

LOL Alex, as I wrote in my first message of course I know are based on Willie Dixon song (and he stole that one from starving musicians) but check the way Robert Plant sings that one, and the arrangement, it was based by far more on the Small Faces cover than the Willie Dixon cover (the song is not by Willie anyway)

Listen that one or the one in the first studio album, I'm going to upload it later

BTW, Robert Plant was a huge fan of the Small Faces, he admitted he took those parts from Whole Lotta Love from Steve and his singing style copied from the early Steve

Steve waa a candidate to form Led Zeppelin before Robert Plant

3rd July 2007 11:38 AM
Nasty Habits Great thread, you nut gone flake!

3rd July 2007 01:16 PM
Chuck

3rd July 2007 02:15 PM
GotToRollMe Steve Marriott was one of the greats. What a little powerhouse!
3rd July 2007 10:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The first concept album??

It depends on what your definition of “Concept Album” is. For me is an album about one theme and with the songs linked, if it also has defined characters with defined personalities is the best definition of “Concept album” imho of course

Regular albums have songs about different themes and not linked between each other, “concept albums” are about the same and are linked.

For me the first was The Small Faces' "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", could be the first “Half-and-a-portion concept album” Side 2 is about the same theme, the songs are linked and it has defined characters and is narrated. Then track 1 on side 1 is as an overture for the whole album which is not linked lyrically but musically, song 4 on side one “Rene” is the same, it fits perfectly in terms of sound and music with the story on side 2. Steve Marriott didn’t want “Lazy Sunday” added, but it was added as the last song of side 1 but it fits very good as side 2 is an acid trip!!

So it was the very first “concept album” in that sense. It also was released as a circular record, very cool cover!

The Ventures made an album with the songs named with colors but there ain’t no link between the songs, the same for many of the above mentioned albums

I love “Freak Out” by Frank Zappa, the songs are about the same shit but there ain’t no relation between the songs, however it was the very FIRST double album in rock (released in1966).

Small Faces
which were in thy studios
hallowed be thy name
thy music come
thy songs be sung
on this album as they came from your heads
we give you this day our daily bread
give us thy album in a round cover
as we give thee 37/9d.
Lead us into the record stores
and deliver us Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
for nice is the music, the sleeve and the story,
for ever and ever

3rd July 2007 10:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Happiness Stan: Story
(Taken from Wikipedia... thanks to those involved)

When Stan looks up in the sky and sees only half the moon, he sets out on a quest to search for the missing half. Along the way he saves a fly from starvation, and in gratitude the insect tells him of someone who can answer his question and also tell him the philosophy of life itself. With his magic power Stan intones, "If all the flies were one fly, what a great enormous fly-follolloper that would bold," and the fly grows to gigantic proportions. Seated on the giant fly's back Stan takes a psychedelic journey to the cave of Mad John the hermit, who explains that the moon's disappearance is only temporary, and demonstrates by pointing out that Stan has spent so long on his quest that the moon is now full again. He then sings Stan a cheerful song about the meaning of life.

Now here you have the whole performance of side 2, the only time they did it... live (some already posted above but now in sequence, so burn a bone and pay attention babies, this is ROCK HISTORY

All videos uploaded by Crashbangwallop Thanks a lot!

1.- Happiness Stan

2.- Rollin' Over

3.- The Hungry Intruder

4.- The Journey

5.- Mad John

6.- Happydaystoytown

That's all folks (now)

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
3rd July 2007 10:42 PM
MrPleasant About "concept albums", there's Little Deuce Coupe (1963), from the Beach Boys: mostly songs about cars.
3rd July 2007 10:47 PM
mojoman seeing mac friday!!!
3rd July 2007 10:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl For me that is NOT a concept album but there are many opinions about what it is but according to this definition the Ogden's is the first: An album with all the songs about the same subject, linked and with characters with defined personalities, "Tommy" by the Who was released the next year, however Pete wrote "I'm a sensation" in 1968 but later he linked it to the Tommy Story

The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds", The Ventures album mentioned above and the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers" in my opinion are not concept albums as the songs are not related, maybe the Beatles' Peppers as many songs talk about drugs implicitly

Small Faces also influenced bands like Genesis, about sike-ay-delic fairy tales, Jefferson Airplane about an album with a cover that stores weed

Holloweed be thy name: Nut Gone Flake!!

3rd July 2007 10:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mojoman wrote:
seeing mac friday!!!

Say hi from me, we have had some e-mails in the past, say hi from Voodoo from Mexico City, and please say hi to Rags is you see her
3rd July 2007 10:54 PM
MrPleasant
quote:

I love “Freak Out” by Frank Zappa, the songs are about the same shit but there ain’t no relation between the songs, however it was the very FIRST double album in rock (released in1966).

Sorry for being pedantic, but I think that Blonde On Blonde was released in May of '66, and Zappa's in July.
3rd July 2007 11:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl You're right Mr. F! At least I double checked at All Music Guide and your dates are roght, so thanks for the info and now back on track
3rd July 2007 11:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
From the mod anthems like Hey Girl, My Minds Eye and All Or Nothing

This is THE mod anthem, isn't it? It is also the Small Faces first single and hit and this video has Ronnie Wood slidin'

3rd July 2007 11:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now an easy trivia (no prize now)

Which member(s) of Small Faces and in which song/album appear(s) with these bands:

• Traffic
  • Rolling Stones
  • Pink Floyd
  • Donovan
  • Jim Capaldi
  • B. B. King
  • Mott the Hoople (hi Mottrush wherever you are now)
  • Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra

3rd July 2007 11:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl In the meantime this picture of two-copy-cats who respect a lot Steve and were influenced by him: Rod Stewart and Robert Plant sharing the stage...

3rd July 2007 11:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Great thread, you nut gone flake!

Hi boss! HIGH boss!!
4th July 2007 08:12 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Sir Stonesalot and Mac 2004

4th July 2007 10:39 AM
Navin I should be castrated.

In got no idea about how the The Small Faces, Humble Pie & Steve Marriott even sound or look .... but I got all the Faces records including the recent box, all the Rod albums featuring Woody, and all the Ron Wood Solo releases, of course. I even dig Ian McLagan's 'Troublemaker' record...got his autographed autobigraphy and even communicated with him thru e-mail....the big surprise was receiving kind replies from the man himself!

But the fact remains, Mr. Wood is in the centre of the whole thing....and stands tall - the very reason that I sometimes consider living for.
4th July 2007 11:09 AM
mojoman
quote:

Say hi from me, we have had some e-mails in the past, say hi from Voodoo from Mexico City, and please say hi to Rags is you see her

your wish is my command master voodoo
4th July 2007 11:35 AM
Zambero Small Faces was an awesome band, and Marriott one of the all-time best singers. They may not have sold a huge volume of records in the U.S. but they were hugely influential, and their body of work easily matches any of their contemoraries. Nice that there's a good deal of footage to look at these days. The "Tin Soldier" clip just floors me, and backup singer P.P. Arnold is strikingly gorgeous in that one. SF is WAY overdue for induction into the R&R Hall Of Fame.
4th July 2007 02:35 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Now an easy trivia (no prize now)

Who member(s) of Small Faces and in which song/album appear(s) with these bands:

• Traffic
  • Rolling Stones
  • Pink Floyd
  • Donovan
  • Jim Capaldi
  • B. B. King
  • Mott the Hoople (hi Mottrush wherever you are now)
  • Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra

I don't have my thinking cap on! Though I do know that Steve Mariott sings backing vocals on Another Land and maybe plays acoustic guitar?
4th July 2007 02:44 PM
Honky Tonk Man [quote]VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

This is THE mod anthem, isn't it? It is also the Small Faces first single and hit and this video has Ronnie Wood slidin'

Watcha Gonna Do About It was their first single. I have the single somewhere. Obsiously I didn't buy it at he time!

Sha La La La Lee was their fist top 10 and All Or Nothing was the first of 2 UK number 1's they had. The other was Lazy Sunday.

For anyone who is interested, below is a list of all the original UK singles. I copied it from Wikipedia.

I Can't Make It was the first on the Immediate label

1965 - "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" / "Whatsa Matter Baby"
1965 - "I've Got Mine" / "It's Too Late"
1966 - "Sha La La La Lee" / "Grow Your Own"
1966 - "Hey Girl" / "Almost Grown"
1966 - "All Or Nothing" / "Understanding"
1966 - "My Mind's Eye" / "I Can't Dance With You"
1966 - "I Can't Make It" / "Just Passing"
1966 - "Patterns" / "E Too D"
1967 - "Here Comes The Nice" / "Talk To You"
1967 - "Itchycoo Park" / "I'm Only Dreaming"
1967 - "Tin Soldier" / "I Feel Much Better"
1968 - "Lazy Sunday" / "Rollin' Over"
1968 - "The Universal" / "Donkey Rides, A Penny, A Glass"
1969 - "Afterglow Of Your Love" / "Wham Bam
4th July 2007 04:00 PM
mojoman
quote:
In the meantime this picture of two-copy-cats who respect a lot Steve and were influenced by him: Rod Stewart and Robert Plant sharing the stage...

july 13, 1969? JBG/FUDGE/ZEP jam?
4th July 2007 07:42 PM
Tom Why the Small Faces were so popular in the UK and practically unknown in the USA?
4th July 2007 10:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Tom wrote:
Why the Small Faces were so popular in the UK and practically unknown in the USA?

I think that bewteen other reasons maybe the name of the band was one reason as "faces" was a local slang for mods so the name "small faces" does not make sense, or taking at just "a little face" also probably they were too heavy during the "mod period" (also known as the Decca years) who knows

However the Pie was very popular in the USA, probably more than the Faces and of course than the Small Faces
5th July 2007 07:45 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mojoman wrote:

july 13, 1969? JBG/FUDGE/ZEP jam?

Yes! During The Singer Bowl Music Festival, Flushing Meadow Park in NYC they are performing "Jailhouse Rock". Other guests in this one were Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Ric Lee, Carmine Appice and Glenn Cornick.

Those were the days!
5th July 2007 08:12 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)