ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Sir
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Contributions To Disarmament Debate (Brazil`s Current Question) Return to archive
October 8th, 2005 03:56 PM
Bruno Stone Brazilian citizens will decide about the ban on guns and ammunition trade. The referendum is going to happen on October 23.

Since the campaign started I`m trying the read the more that I can about the issue. I know this is a Music board, but, RO board being a place full of people from almost every country in the world, I would like to get your opinions about.

Could you tell me how is the personal armament stuff in your country? Is it legal to have a gun? Everybody can have one? Do you think this (having a gun) affects homicide rates?

By the way, the question we`re going answer to is : "guns and ammunition trade should be forbbiden in Brazil?"

My answer is NO.

Ps.: things are hard here in Brazil, violence is destroying our society...

Jair, J.J. Flash, Marianne, obviamente quero a participação de vocês também.
October 8th, 2005 04:21 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:

Violence is the fault of humans, but wide-spread availability of guns makes it too easy.

When emotions run high and a gun is nearby, it will be used in many cases. If a gun isn't there, there's a bigger chance of calming down a notch, thinking and preventing a lethal situation.

Luckily here in Holland the arms-law is quite stern and it's not too easy to get a permit to own a gun, like it is in your country, or the US or many other countries. General possession of guns or certain knives etc is illegal here when you're not a registered hunter, member of a rifle-club, part of the police force, serious collector etc. The people from these groups that are allowed arms, have to prove that they belong to those groups officially when applying for a permit. You can of course get one illegaly, but no government will ever prevent that completely I'm afraid.

And I'm glad, I'm against arms for regular people who have no use for it in their daily lives so to speak. I, therefore, would vote 'yes' .
October 8th, 2005 04:30 PM
glencar I would vote 'no' too.
October 8th, 2005 05:33 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Luckily here in Holland the arms-law is quite stern and it's not too easy to get a permit to own a gun, like it is in your country, or the US or many other countries. General possession of guns or certain knives etc is illegal here when you're not a registered hunter, member of a rifle-club, part of the police force, serious collector etc. The people from these groups that are allowed arms, have to prove that they belong to those groups officially when applying for a permit. You can of course get one illegaly, but no government will ever prevent that completely I'm afraid.

And I'm glad, I'm against arms for regular people who have no use for it in their daily lives so to speak. I, therefore, would vote 'yes' .

You live in a civilized country. Unfortunatelly, the referendum is useless here. What will happen is that, if the `yes` wins, me, Jair, J.J Flash, etc, will be unable to get guns. This is good, but.... all the criminals will be laughing their ass off it, running around with their weapons. In Holland, the `yes` winning would be good, cause I imagine the laws in your country are for real. But HERE, my friend Angiegirl... things would get bad for the good ones and good for the bad ones.

If I were in Holland, I would be `yes`, of course. But voting `yes` here has a different implying due to a third-world country characteristics.
October 8th, 2005 05:35 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
glencar wrote:
I would vote 'no' too.

How is in France? Do you have a gun Glencar?
October 8th, 2005 05:40 PM
nankerphelge In the United States, gun laws are pretty much decided by the states individually.

In DC which has a strict gun law, gun violence is pretty high -- due mainly to drugs. In fact, if you look at where the gun violence occurs in the city, it is predominantly in gang-controlled open-air drug areas.

I live in Virginia which has some of the least strict laws on guns. Anyone can get one if you wait a day for your background check. Crime in Virginia is not nearly as bad as in DC.

Besides, if someone is going to commit violent crimes, they aren't likely to obey gun laws are they?
[Edited by nankerphelge]
October 8th, 2005 06:28 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
Brazilian citizens will decide about the ban on guns and ammunition trade. The referendum is going to happen on October 23.

Since the campaign started I`m trying the read the more that I can about the issue. I know this is a Music board, but, RO board being a place full of people from almost every country in the world, I would like to get your opinions about.

Could you tell me how is the personal armament stuff in your country? Is it legal to have a gun? Everybody can have one? Do you think this (having a gun) affects homicide rates?

By the way, the question we`re going answer to is : "guns and ammunition trade should be forbbiden in Brazil?"

My answer is NO.

Jair, J.J. Flash, Marianne, obviamente quero a participação de vocês também.

I think the question that I have on your issue is what will be done with the existing guns and ammo in your country if everyone votes no on your referendum. If all sales of guns and ammo were banned in the USA tomorrow, I don't think it would make a lick of difference to the rates of crime and violence here because there are so many firearms in the hands of citizens here. Personally I like Chris Rock's solution. . .raise the cost of a bullet to $10,000 so that if you see someone shot dead in the street you know they had it coming!
[Edited by monkey_man]
October 9th, 2005 05:23 PM
Jair My answer is NO, for sure, its a right of anyone have a gun.

But should be a bit harder buy a gun. Also, ordinary people should be obligate to do a trainning to use it well when necessary.

October 9th, 2005 09:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
October 10th, 2005 08:57 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Jair wrote:
My answer is NO, for sure, its a right of anyone have a gun.

But should be a bit harder buy a gun. Also, ordinary people should be obligate to do a trainning to use it well when necessary.

WORD!
October 10th, 2005 09:13 AM
justforyou A gun is a sick invention, people who need guns need help.
October 10th, 2005 09:21 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Bruno Stone wrote:
My answer is NO.

Oh for sure vote "No"! Guns are cool!

I picked up one of these two years ago.

Enfield British Jungle Carbine. You can blow big holes in terrorists on your block. And when they start climbing in your windows you can use the bayonet!
October 10th, 2005 10:06 AM
egon guns don't kill people.....

The voices in my head tell me to do so.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)