ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Sir
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Keith-is-a-genius thread Return to archive
October 6th, 2005 10:52 AM
blackandblue Despite all the criticism I think Keith is doing a great job on ABB. What make some songs special is due to his incredible guitar work. He is maybe not omnipresent but his little licks and interventions are brilliant. For the first time in ages I recognised that feeling of Keith playing very basic rock-'n-roll. It gives most of the songs on ABB a special touch which make them extra sparkling. In combination with Mick's voice A Bigger Bang is stunning.

Hail to Keith!
October 6th, 2005 11:06 AM
Jumacfly the final on "let me down so slow"is a great moment!
I love the guitars on this one!
October 6th, 2005 11:08 AM
egon

[Edited by egon]
October 6th, 2005 11:50 AM
Saint Sway Keith is the most underated genius in music.

he gets a lot of praise sure. But its just as the riff master or as some kind of walking zombie. But his playing is pure genius. Magic. Just listen to Gimme Shelter. Jumpin Jack Flash. Street Fighting Man. All just mind blowing stuff.
October 6th, 2005 12:26 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Keith is the most underated genius in music.

he gets a lot of praise sure. But its just as the riff master or as some kind of walking zombie. But his playing is pure genius. Magic. Just listen to Gimme Shelter. Jumpin Jack Flash. Street Fighting Man. All just mind blowing stuff.

But I was talking about A Bigger Bang this time. His playing on this record is underrated.
October 6th, 2005 01:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

But I was talking about A Bigger Bang this time. His playing on this record is underrated.

yeah I know what you're saying. I dont think his playing on Bang is genius. But I've given more than my .02 cents on it. I just wanted to say that overall he is one of the most unheralded players. And he is often overlooked bc too many people equivalate flashier players like Beck or Hendrix as "genius" but Keith's genius lies in his ability to do less with more. Its really Picasso-esque. The simplicity and all the subtle beauty in a song like Angie is really genius. Its art. And Keith doesnt need flash to create it. His less-is-more approach is his genius. Keith is the MacGyver of R&R.
October 6th, 2005 01:34 PM
telecaster His playing on this tour is great despite having knuckles the size of golf balls
October 6th, 2005 01:43 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Joey wrote:
" His playing on this tour is great despite having knuckles the size of golf balls "
|
|
|
|
V

Please don't hijack my thread!
October 6th, 2005 01:45 PM
Joey
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

Please don't hijack my thread!

October 6th, 2005 02:01 PM
Cocaine Eyes Keith is a genius and I do not understand any Keith-bashing. I'd love to see any one of us playing and touring as he does at age 61 (soon to be 62).
October 6th, 2005 02:05 PM
the good Keith is the greatest rock musician of all time. Period.
October 6th, 2005 07:50 PM
keefkid he is totally underated all the time for his singing, his playing, totally pisses me off...he might not be the greatest technical player of all time but dammit HE'S GOT SOUL and he IS rock & roll ... period ...

Long Live Keith!!!!!!!!
October 6th, 2005 07:58 PM
Brainbell Jangler "To some I'm a junkie madman who should be dead, to others I'm a mythical genius."--Keith Richards (1994)
October 6th, 2005 08:57 PM
sj [quote]keefkid wrote:
he is totally underated all the time for his singing, his playing, totally pisses me off...he might not be the greatest technical player of all time but dammit HE'S GOT SOUL and he IS rock & roll ... period ...

Long Live Keith!!!!!!!!
[/quote

With his guitar he expresses his soul! And boy, its a beauty.

Long Live Keith!!
October 6th, 2005 09:25 PM
KeithRichardsWife *sigh* I love Keith so much

October 7th, 2005 12:48 AM
Zack Allen Klein: "Which one makes the records?"
Andrew Oldham: (points at Keith) "That one."
October 7th, 2005 04:20 AM
blackandblue In fact I was not talking about Keith in general. Nobody doubts he is one of the best guitarists around. I was talking about his playing on ABB. IMO many people underestimate his efforts on that album.
October 7th, 2005 09:21 AM
keefkid "To some I'm a junkie madman who should be dead, to others I'm a mythical genius."--Keith Richards (1994)

ahhhh god I just luv that quote........too f'in true

October 9th, 2005 07:58 AM
Chris74 Keith is for me the best Rock Guitarist of all times. I mean who knows who has created so much breaking rock songs as he has done? Nobody has and nobody will do in the future again. Keef can't be praised enough.

He concentrated on rhythm and that is what makes Rock'n Roll - it's not flashy techniques and soloing it's rhythm, tempo, breaks, riffs. As you quoted art is the "less is more" approach - that's the essential thing I guess.

Chris
October 9th, 2005 08:31 AM
IanBillen Keith and Charlie are the driving force musically behind this album. Rolling Stone Magazine put it best by stating that Keith is locked in behind Charlie to rythmatically ground this album in true hard hitting fashion. Keith and Charlie are the musics Meat and Potatoes this time.

Mick however does his best vocals in so long. His voice is totaly remarkable for being 62! He hasn't lost it that is for damn sure. It may be a little different than it used to be but it is always Mick Jagger and is strong as usual and it just makes you shake your head in remarks as to how good he does his vocals on ABB without ever over-doing it or trying to hard. His range and enthusiasm are nailed only as Jagger can.
I will not forget possibly Micks most elaborate musical contribution on any Stones album to date. If he would of done any Keys it would surely of sealed that statement....did he do any keys this time? Guitar, Harp, percussion somwehere besides morraccas??? and yes, even slide for the very first time in The Stones 40+ year history and he pulls it off without it sounding cheezy. It still sounded Stonsey. Mick has tons of contribution and Keith and Charlie are the meat and potatoes of A Bigger Bang.

As for Ronnie. Sure he is there but he isn't as prominent as the rest on this one. Still there just not locked in like the other three.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
October 9th, 2005 08:39 AM
Moonisup Sorry to spoil the myth, but A bigger bang is a MIck album, and has not very much to do with keith
October 9th, 2005 08:50 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Sorry to spoil the myth, but A bigger bang is a MIck album, and has not very much to do with keith

Maybe but you can't deny Keith is playing pretty well on most of the tracks.
October 9th, 2005 08:54 AM
Moonisup
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

Maybe but you can't deny Keith is playing pretty well on most of the tracks.

true, but I liked BtB better, but that's a personal opinion
October 9th, 2005 09:01 AM
nankerphelge Way back when nanky first got into the Stones, it was that raw guitar of Keith's that got me hooked. Then, once I got a look at him -- man! That was rock & roll right there.

Always was
Always will be

October 9th, 2005 09:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I dunno. I haven't owned it (ABB)but about a week. All's I can say is this....I like it alot better than I did a week ago. Where it ends up in the canon ultimatley I don't know, the jurys still out. It's the nuances that you don't hear at first that make or break a record in the long run I think.
October 9th, 2005 09:15 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I dunno. I haven't owned it (ABB)but about a week. All's I can say is this....I like it alot better than I did a week ago. Where it ends up in the canon ultimatley I don't know, the jurys still out. It's the nuances that you don't hear at first that make or break a record in the long run I think.

And there a lot of nuances I can tell you.
October 9th, 2005 10:25 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Keith is the most underated genius in music.

Nowadays (because he's STILL alive, I guess) he's more adored than Valentino and Brando combined, even though he hasn't written a decent song since "The Worst".

Ruling out "Infamy".

October 9th, 2005 09:53 PM
Neocon You go Ian! Keep flying the Keith flag! I still thing there's more Keith on this album than some people are saying.

I'm thinking more and more the main riffs in NeoCon and Dangerous beauty are Keith. Dangerous Beauty = You got me rocking riff slowed down. Reggae/winos type rhythm + Keithish riff on Neocon + Infamy, Rough Justice, It wont take long, She saw me coming, Rough Justice, This Place is empty, chorus on Let me down slow, co-wrote Oh No not you again.

I mean, a lot of stones work is Keith comes up with a riff and Mick builds a song around. Keith concentrates on "Riffage." Keith wrote what? 2 songs on Some Girls? Maybe came up with riffs for a couple more.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)