ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Sir
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who does the guitar solo in Dead Flowers? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 5th, 2005 05:19 PM
speedfreakjive Hey, just wondered if anybody out there knew the answer to the above (on the album Stick Fingers)? To me it sounds as though it could be either Keith or Mick Taylor.
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
October 5th, 2005 05:22 PM
pdog Mick "Twinkies not Subway" Taylor...
October 5th, 2005 05:26 PM
speedfreakjive "Twinkies not Subway"? is Twinkies a similar but superior food outlet to Subway in America, i'm from Liverpool,England, home of perhaps the second greatest rock 'n' roll band.
October 5th, 2005 05:27 PM
doo doo doo Dude Definitly Taylor. I love his live fills on the Leeds version.
October 5th, 2005 05:28 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Definitly Taylor. I love his live fills on the Leeds version.

Indeed, i've gotta say its one of my fave solo's ever.
October 5th, 2005 05:43 PM
pdog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
"Twinkies not Subway"? is Twinkies a similar but superior food outlet to Subway in America, i'm from Liverpool,England, home of perhaps the second greatest rock 'n' roll band.

Twinkies are a snake cake full of corn syrup and hydronated oils ect... Subway is a sandwhich franchise that uses a former fat guy as their spokesperson!
October 5th, 2005 06:02 PM
texile definately mick - with those clean lines and perfect vibrato....keith stings those notes, taylor caressed them...both great but distinctive.
October 5th, 2005 06:04 PM
texile hey freak - you're a beatle fan....a minority here it seems;
i was always proud to call myself a beatle AND stones fan....
October 5th, 2005 06:38 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
texile wrote:
hey freak - you're a beatle fan....a minority here it seems;
i was always proud to call myself a beatle AND stones fan....

Well, there in my top 10, but The Stones are in my top three, nuff said. Best album by Beatles? I'd say Rock 'n' Roll Circus, no its gotta be Abbey Road.
October 5th, 2005 10:19 PM
Bloozehound the beatles ??

eww yucky, yucky

October 5th, 2005 11:36 PM
texile such misguided condescension....lol.
October 6th, 2005 12:37 AM
jpenn11 Taylor does the solo that you hear mono.

Richards might be doing those one note fills that you hear in the right or left channel. Haven't listened carefully in a while.

For Side A of Sticky Fingers, Taylor is on one channel, Richards on the other. They switch channels for Side B. My recollection is that Taylor sticks to his channel for Sway, but switches over on Moonlight Mile--Jagger is the other guitarist for these songs. And Taylor's solo and Richards' acoustic are mono on Dead Flowers. I don't recall how Sister Morphine was handled.
October 6th, 2005 07:25 AM
scratched I disagree, I think the solo in the studio version of 'Dead Flowers' is Keith. The vibrato and bends are not quite tidy enough for it to be Mick and I am sure it would be alot more elaborate and less 'country' if it was Mick - more like how he played it on L&G.
October 6th, 2005 07:35 AM
Ramrod The guitar solo on the 'Sticky fingers' version of Dead Flowers is 100% definetly Mick Taylor - his vibrato, style, phrasing, sound, choice of notes. Keith does the fills, Jagger plays the acoustic rhythm guitar.
October 6th, 2005 08:21 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
scratched wrote:
I disagree, I think the solo in the studio version of 'Dead Flowers' is Keith. The vibrato and bends are not quite tidy enough for it to be Mick and I am sure it would be alot more elaborate and less 'country' if it was Mick - more like how he played it on L&G.

Hey scratched, what you wrote is what I was thinking in the back of my mind, up until recently I thought it was Taylor, but because of its relative simplicity, i'm starting to think its Keith.
October 6th, 2005 09:15 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Taylor does the solo that you hear mono.

Richards might be doing those one note fills that you hear in the right or left channel. Haven't listened carefully in a while.

For Side A of Sticky Fingers, Taylor is on one channel, Richards on the other. They switch channels for Side B. My recollection is that Taylor sticks to his channel for Sway, but switches over on Moonlight Mile--Jagger is the other guitarist for these songs. And Taylor's solo and Richards' acoustic are mono on Dead Flowers. I don't recall how Sister Morphine was handled.

I'm pretty sure Sister Morphine was just Keith on acoustic and Ry Cooder on slide guitar.
October 6th, 2005 09:37 AM
scratched
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Hey scratched, what you wrote is what I was thinking in the back of my mind, up until recently I thought it was Taylor, but because of its relative simplicity, i'm starting to think its Keith.

Same here. I thought without a doubt that it was Mick for a few years until I listened more closely. The same with Wild Horses, I thought that Mick played the solo in that too.

The two solos have the same kind of licks - those country style bends. The main clue is with the vibrato. Keith's is a bit more 'shakey', the kind you get if you hold the string down and vibrate your hand while not twisting it. Mick's is more fluid and deviates from the note further. His vibrato technique is the more difficult to do, where you hold the string with your left hand at more of an angle and twist your wrist left and right rapidly (like a door handle!). They sound different. The Dead Flowers solo sounds more like Keith's vibrato to me.

Sorry about the totally untechnical way I described this. Its the best I can do!

[Edited by scratched]
October 6th, 2005 09:54 AM
speedfreakjive No, IMO the more technical you get with guitar playing, the more shit you get. I totally understand what your saying, Mick is all about amazing technique, Keith is more about sheer instinct. Hey, its not how you do it, its if you do it. Like winning the race by an inch or a mile.
October 6th, 2005 09:57 AM
scratched Precisely.
October 6th, 2005 12:58 PM
texile you're right about the vibrato screech - but that is definately mick on flowers - keith on wild horses...
taylor could be simple too - but he was just more fluid and graceful and those dead lick are too seamless for keith shakey, heavy hand...
the clue for me? i can duplicate a keith solo - its more ragged, dirty and syncopated - but i have NEVER been able to truly capture a taylor solo...i can find the right notes but i can't get that effortless vibe;
i agree about technical prowess though freak - it's like musical masturbation....and i love keith precisely BECAUSE his playing is so primal - THAT makes the stones music different than anything on earth...but taylor was able to combine that technical perfection (something i generally despise in music) and make it soulful.
October 6th, 2005 02:48 PM
speedfreakjive Well Texile. Its Keith on lead Bitch, and thats as good a solo as Dead Flowers for me. Its maybe one of the reasons its the Stones' second best album, cos there are so many varied and interesting guitar parts from Taylor, Keith, even Jagger, its only got ten songs (eight as many as Exile) but the consistency and quality of each song is perhaps superior to Exile.

What type of guitar have you got Texile?
October 6th, 2005 04:11 PM
scratched
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Its Keith on lead Bitch, and thats as good a solo as Dead Flowers for me.

I used to think that was Micky T on Bitch too! I thought he did the Chuck Berry/Albert King style fills also. Turned out it was Keith after all.

I'm not going to comment on the Dead Flowers solo until I can hear it again. I lent Sticky Fingers out a few weeks ago and I'm having a tough time getting it back!
October 6th, 2005 04:58 PM
LeedsLungs71 I don't know if it is Keef or MT, but is sure sounds sweet to my ears! One of the best!
October 6th, 2005 06:28 PM
texile the solo on bitch is one of my favorites.....keith at his most nasty and stinging - i was going to mention that one because if you listen to it and then listen to the dead solo ...you can hear taylor's fluidity;
guitar questions always pain me ...
i used to have (my first electric)a vintage tele-custom fender (like keith's black one from 79 -81) - blond with black pickguard - loaned it to a knucklehead musician friend and it was stolen...it hurts to this day.
i had a frankenstein (62 body with 66 neck)jazzmaster that would never stay in tune...traded it in for a 99 standard american tele..(sunburst with pearl pickguard) and that's what i use now.
my baby is my 72 gibson hummingbird acoustic....the first thing i ever played on it was blood red wine...from the boot.
October 6th, 2005 08:01 PM
speedfreakjive Some nice guitars there. Esp Hummingbird, i'd love to own one of those. I've always thought Keefs black custom tele was cool, shame about that one. I've recently bought a 72 reissue Tele Thinline, and its sweet, the F-Holes give it a little extra sustain. Its quite unique apparently, cos it was painted at the Cadillac factory, and is that turquoise Cadillac colour. U got a band then?
October 7th, 2005 08:54 AM
scratched
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
I've always thought Keefs black custom tele was cool, shame about that one.

He's playing it again! Look at the first post on this thread:

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/216598-4.html
October 7th, 2005 11:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
scratched wrote:
I lent Sticky Fingers out a few weeks ago and I'm having a tough time getting it back!

Good luck. I lent my copy of Keith's gig at the Hollywood Palladium out years ago and ain't seen it since.
October 7th, 2005 11:45 AM
scratched LOL!

Just realised that they also have my Ladies & Gentlemen DVD. I really have got to get em back!
October 7th, 2005 11:58 AM
Zeeta

Yeah cool as fuck!

And on the 82 tour!

October 7th, 2005 12:57 PM
Jair
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Hey, just wondered if anybody out there knew the answer to the above (on the album Stick Fingers)? To me it sounds as though it could be either Keith or Mick Taylor.
[Edited by speedfreakjive]

I heard it was John Lennon -- ??!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)