ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Saville Theatre, London December 14, 1969
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive with thanks to Fotini

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The European Tour Ends Tomorrow... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
10-01-03 04:20 PM
Joey

BEST STONES YET !!!!! Period !

10-01-03 04:21 PM
marko Are you seroius?I listened today manchester,bloody great
show.lot of energy,few funny mistakes.paint it black,best
ever.So far........
10-01-03 04:23 PM
jb Marko, there is a complete lack of sound ...the horns and piano are the only discernible things you can hear...the guitars are slow and lazy...
10-01-03 04:27 PM
marko NOT TRUE JB! all i hear at STOCKHOLM&Manchester is
keith,well mick and charlie ofcourse,but no chuck the duck.
Stadiums has the sound problems.
I know Helsinki wasn´t anyhting special,but,few friends of
mine saw bernard&lisa at the stockholm hotel,they told that
it was way too hot in here,and i agree.Aud still sucked a big time.
10-01-03 04:28 PM
jb The swedes have been known to be quite frigid.
10-01-03 04:31 PM
marko Nope again.
10-01-03 05:18 PM
egon i'm crying a river.
10-01-03 05:42 PM
Martha You know I got to see the Bridges tour for two dates and the No Security for two as well...and then came Licks 2002 Detroit, MI Ford Field....and I will absolutely NEVER be the same EVER. Nothing can touch that night for me. Nothing.

Oh, it ain't over until they tell us it's over Ronnie!

Lick that!
10-01-03 05:47 PM
KeepRigid Diddy Runs the City.

`Nuff Said.
10-01-03 05:57 PM
kahoosier Hey JB, I saw 4 shows in UK, and thought the band had been rejuvenated. And the guitars were THERE. I saw a show on fire at the Sydney Superdome the first night. Both theater shows I saw rocked. I was evry much ready to write the Stones off this tour, initially only planning to go to one show in Chicago. I do not think the band is perfect, there is room for criticism. Necertheless it is a year after the Chicago show and I have now been to 4 continents because, unless you sought perfection, the Licks tour was fantastic. The band and fans appeared to have a great time. Of course you don't know me, so I am sure Rik's opionion that they are dead but not buried carries more weight.

And some of you need to realize that there has been some fantastic music and some great shows SINCE MT LEFT 30 YEARS AGO.
10-01-03 07:10 PM
Gazza The shows I saw in the UK were better than the shows I saw in both New York and Los Angeles in 2002.

they weren't as lengthy but for the most part they were definitely superior.

they were also almost all better than the 21 Stones shows I'd seen prior to 2002 as well.
10-01-03 08:15 PM
littleredrooster C'mon Gazza!
We ALL know that the last Stones show that you've seen is ALWAYS the BEST!!!!

ROOOSTAH
10-01-03 08:48 PM
kahoosier The simple solution for those that think the Stones should perform/tour no more, for those that think the shows are not what they should be is... stay home next time. For the rest of us, we will be happy to sit in your seats!

Oh and of course I am a bit tired of all these people that talk about the Stones tarnishing their legacy. How would they feel if Keith wrote them a letter asking them to retire before they screw up their job? What right does anyone have to worry about or judge the legacy of these very active and vibarnt PROFESSIONAL musicians. Hey guys, anyone out there really for mandatory retirement at 60?
10-01-03 11:32 PM
MarthaMyDear I agree with Gazza but I have YET to see Mick get as dirty and nasty and just downright raunchy performing Midnight Rambler at Edison Field in Anaheim in 2002!!! lol.............. That show and the Wiltern show came close to the shows I saw in England (the first three) this year, though, as in technically better, etc,... But, I do have to say that I enjoyed the first Twickenham show IMMENSELY and the Astoria show, also, save for the Great White-like panic to leave the venue at the end!!! JESUS!!! lol........ That was not good!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!! Quite annoying, actually!!! lol............... ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
10-02-03 10:48 AM
jb Since we are all Stones fanatics, it goes without saying that we hope they continue for as long as they physically can do it. Nevertheless, I first noticed that they were "slowing down" on the No Security Tour....They seemed to lack the energy, which may have been a hangover from the extended B2b tour(which I felt was overall a great tour). I only saw them 5 times this tour, and honestly, when your as close up as I am , it is so feckin loud, it's impossible to really tell whether the sound is off or not. However, in listening to some of the downloads and performances posted on rs.com, the sound was just dreadful. This, accompanied by numerous reports from fellow RO members, much more musically educated than me, confirmed my fears. They just can't seem to hold it together for any extended period of time any longer. The fact that they were blown off the stage by AC/DC, humiliated all their fans by performing with JT, and the embarrassing remix of SFD, only bolster my conclusion...it's time to call it a day.
10-02-03 11:29 AM
Joey " They just can't seem to hold it together for any extended period of time any longer. "

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ ? }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

" The fact that they were blown off the stage by AC/DC, humiliated all their fans by performing with JT "

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ WTF ?!?!?!?! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

" , and the embarrassing remix of SFD, only bolster my conclusion...it's time to call it a day. "

***************** BLANK FRIGGIN STARE ******************************

Obviously , you should have gone to Denver to see the band with the rest of us ....................It was truly the greatest Rock and Roll show any of us had ever seen in our lifetimes . Don't believe me ?!?!?!?! Just ask Keno , Jaxx , Moonie , Nanky , MaxMeister , Payphone Al , Ladybird , etc ...............they were all there and can vouch on how marvelous the band sounded . Nanky to this day says it was MUCH better than any of the MSG performances HE witnessed , and Moonie salivates and drools a bit when Denver 02/01/03 is mentioned even in passing . Keno's eyes were lit up and even sparkled after the Denver gig and MaxMeister was physically shaking for three days .

As for J.T. , he is banging Cameron Diaz so he is my new hero .

Remix of SFD ?!?!?!?!

REMIX OF SFD ?!?!?!?!

Why ?????????? Why must you make Joey so sad ?

WHY ?!?!?!

" Tie me Up and Call Me Suzi Ronnie "

D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca !
10-02-03 11:39 AM
nankerphelge Denver was damn good, no question. The sound was perfect, the set-list great, the crowd was super, and the pre-show had the chiba chariot -- so it was perfect!!!

My biggest complaint with this tour was not the inconsistency in playing -- they've always suffered from that. It was the sound problems -- from the opener in Boston thru Toronto, they have been plagued with sound problems and there is no good reason for it. I can accept working some of the kinks out -- but beyond the 3rd show, no way should sound problems have been tolerated by the band. The fact that it was tolerated by us is amazing.

10-02-03 11:42 AM
telecaster Both United Center shows in Chicago were as good as I have ever seen. Loud, clear sound with lots of guitars

High energy, no fuck ups

10-02-03 11:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot So what is the concensus here? Is this tour really done?

What about a new album for 2004, followed by another tour?

How will future tours be structured? Will there even be tours? Will there even be shows?

Questions questions questions.

Here's my thoughts...

Is this tour really done? Yes.

New album for 2004? Yes. New tour in support of the new album? Yes, for 2005, with a limited amount of shows.

How will future tours be structured? I'm of the opinion that the Stones will do extended engagements. Two weeks in NYC at the Beacon Theatre, two weeks in Atlantic City at the Trump, two weeks in San Francisco at the Winterland(does that place still exist?), etc, etc. I don't know that they could take the physical rigors of another full on rock and roll circus like Licks or Babylon.

Just my humble prognostication.

"Call me Nostrodamus Ronnie!"
10-02-03 11:49 AM
Joey " Is this tour really done? Yes. "

I disagree . It is my sincere belief that Keith Richards can work some of his smooth silky charm ( like wine ) on Charlie and the others and get them to tour the states for six weeks this spring . Perhaps late March thru May .

This will enable the boys to hit the missed major arenas in Memphis , St. Louis , Minneapolis ( for Moonie ) , Dallas , Kansas City , Milwaukee , etc with a few shows in NYC , Chicago ( for my Baby Steelie ) , and one in L.A. again .

Developing ................like a canker sore .

D.J.

[Edited by Joey]
10-02-03 12:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot Thanx Neil & Mike.
10-02-03 12:32 PM
sirmoonie Anything for a brother.
10-02-03 12:33 PM
Joey

anytime Bro...........................

Jacky !
10-02-03 12:35 PM
Moonisup they should retire
10-02-03 12:39 PM
jb Thank you Rik...they will always be #1, but this tour really should be the last....real fans, like you and me, cannot take any future humiliations.
10-02-03 12:47 PM
steel driving hammer If tonight's the last show ever, it's done, nothing you can do about it.

JB if the Euro 03' tour sucked, then it sucked for only who thought it sucked.

I'd like to see you get up and do better.

Their having a great time and a laugh on stage now and since 89' or 73' even, what else do they have to prove?

Well maybe one thing, I wish'd they played Hootchie Cootchie Man this tour.

Cheers.
10-02-03 12:52 PM
jb While I do not like Mathjis one bit, I respect his commentary and Stones knowledge.
[Edited by jb]
10-02-03 12:55 PM
steel driving hammer He is critical ain't he.

Expecting them to hit every note in time, just right and on key.

Like his band does the same...................................sheeeeeeet.
10-02-03 01:05 PM
jb The "Tell Me" board is dominated by Europeans.
10-02-03 01:10 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
jb wrote:
The "Tell Me" board is dominated by Europeans.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

;^)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5