ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ford Field, October 12, 2002 by John F. Martin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: # 2. It's Official. Return to archive
10-09-02 02:02 PM
Sammy1 I don't post very often. However I thought I should get this out.

According to Canoe.ca, Elvis remains at # 1 on the latest Billboard charts. Our boys chart a very "respectable" #2.

Elvis sold 336,000 vs. Stones at 310,000.

I know it shouldn't matter but I really wanted to see a #1. At least we beat out "American Idol"!
10-09-02 02:22 PM
jb Oh sammy I feel your pain..I felt certain the greatest hits would be #1..it's all over now...never again will we have a chance for #1 ...this is a sad day in Stoneland...to get beat by a Pop Icon like Elvis is devastating...we shall always be behind the fucking beatles and Elvis..this is our fate and we are condemed to it..I have never been so disappointed in my life...we always fucking lose...wait to the critics pounce on this!!!
10-09-02 02:55 PM
winter JB:

Cheer-the-f%$k-up my friend. A #1 greatest hits would have been a token victory at most. I took history of rock-n-roll in college (yes, it was actually a class at UM), and if memory serves me correctly, the Stones were the only artist to have a #1 record in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I believe the string was broken in the 90's, as the best we did was #2 (VL, got beat out by Lion King or some other cartoon, I think - ugh). The '00's, well, with the state of the music industry, I never really expected a #1. It is sad though, because 40LICKS probably is the greatest collection of 38 or so songs ever assembled in one package, even if we the die hards are a bit tired of many of the old 36.

What will truly be disappointing is if the Stones fail to be the #1 touring act of the year (although I suspect there is little chance of that).

On an unrelated note, do the Phins still have "Dolphin Denny"? - what an embarrassment to the organization, not exactly a masculine mascot for a football team and significantly worse than the yamma yamma man of UM. And do the Phins still copy the Houston Oiler song?

Lastly, I'm thinking about change my username to "stick my tongue in someone else's pie", what do you think?

wintah!!!!!
10-09-02 03:02 PM
Mr T eh - somehow the Stones being #1 on the pop charts seems just as condtradictory to their musical integrity as the knighthood was to their defiant bad boy image. Good for ELvis. Not that the Stones don't deserve it or haven't gotten it in the past, but they are *our* band, not MTV's band or the world of teenage girl's band - The Stones still play for their fans, not Superbowl audiences. Elvis is overrated anyway
10-09-02 03:03 PM
jb Dolphin Denny was put out to pasture about 3 years ago.. They now have these guys who are called Phin Heads and they are dressed with a dolphin phin on their head and body painted aqua and orange...still pretty lame. Interestingly, the dolhin song was, I repeat, was, originally played in the Orange bowl from arounf 1971-76...We refused to pay the author title right royalties and he sold it to the Oilers in 76 or 77...And yes, they still play it after every dolphin touchdown....
lastly, we should have the highest grossing tour, although Macca could give us a run for the $$$..andd that would be more than sad...I think suicide at that point!
P.S.---your new moniker is superb...."Coming down again"-KR
[Edited by jb]
10-09-02 03:43 PM
winter JB:

Think of the Avataar I could have with that one!

wintah
10-09-02 05:06 PM
Lacride According to "Le Site du Club des Stones": http://www.sympathyforthedevils.com/news.htm

"Forty Licks est directement entr� � la premi�re place du classement des meilleures ventes de compilations en France,
selon l'IFOP. Le best of est �galement � la 2� place des meilleures ventes d'album au Royaume-Uni, 1� en Irlande, 10�
en Finlande, 3� en Norv�ge, 4� aux Pays-Bas, 14� en Belgique et 3� en Australie."

It means, shortly:
Forty Licks has got to # 1 in France; 2 in UK; 1 in Irland; 10 in Finland; 3 in Norway; 4 in Holland; 14 in Belgium and 3 in Australia

Well now we're respected in society,...
10-09-02 05:13 PM
jean-pierrre M ..Not bad at all.."Forty licks" is a double...and more
expensive..
10-09-02 05:21 PM
Lacride
quote:
jean-pierrre M wrote:
..Not bad at all.."Forty licks" is a double...and more
expensive..

22.80 Euros. C'est "expensive" �a, en France?
10-09-02 05:23 PM
wkoetke
quote:
Sammy1 wrote:
I don't post very often. However I thought I should get this out.

According to Canoe.ca, Elvis remains at # 1 on the latest Billboard charts. Our boys chart a very "respectable" #2.

Elvis sold 336,000 vs. Stones at 310,000.

I know it shouldn't matter but I really wanted to see a #1. At least we beat out "American Idol"!

Hey all:

No one mentioned this yet, but it's also only the first week the album's been charted. Licks might still move from #2 to #1 in the upcoming week(s).

Not that I give much of a shit - just an observation for those who seem to care so much: Licks may be #1 yet!
10-09-02 06:07 PM
jean-pierrre M ..Lacride
.. C'est plus "expensive" que le cd d'Elvis...
10-09-02 06:08 PM
mattb Licks will have legs!
10-09-02 06:58 PM
egon holland.

not no1, not no2.... (and please, don't ask me who k3 are)

AlbumTop100 38ste jaargang nummer 41

1 1 5 verliefd - k3
2 2 2 bounce - bon jovi
3 4 2 elvis 30 #1 hits - elvis presley
4 16 2 forty licks - rolling stones
5 - 1 the ragpicker's dream - mark knopfler
6 9 5 feels so good - atomic kitten
7 10 19 the eminem show - eminem
8 5 5 let go - avril lavigne
9 - 1 tequila sunset - bzn
10 7 7 strijdlustig - andre hazes