ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ford Field, October 12, 2002 by John F. Martin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New VGP releases Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-07-02 11:37 AM
Mathijs Finally after a long time VGP has again released CD�s that I am interested in �in fact, waited a long time for it!

First is a tape that I have been waiting for for ten years: the complete Ladies & Gentlemen sound track in perfect quality. Released as �You Can�t Do That Baby� VGP 314, this tape is apparently taken from the original reels. It includes an excellent intro with additional comments of the sound crew (Here comes Peter Rudge, he says �two minutes let�s Go�!), then some percussion, and off they go. Sound quality is as good as can be in my opinion. It is very reminiscent of the Forth Worth 2-nd show (as can be found best on Stones Touring Party 1972), but this new CD has a more professional sound �the mix is excellent, drums is excellent, no hiss. This is as good is it gets �until the Stones finally decide to release this themselves, and ask Bob Ludwig to do some remastering.

The second tape is the �now infamous- Mr. Freezer tape of Mobile 1972. After endless discussions Freezer forgot about his noble intentions of being a tape trader and sent the tapes to VGP. To be honest, the tape was a disappointment to me. This is certainly a nice tape and an absolute upgrade over the Morganfield tape, but it is certainly not the best tape of the tour. Charlotte 1972 by VGP still is the best ever tape, Jack Daniels On Tour (Washington) is far better, and also Sweet Home Chicago and They�re Really Rocking in Boston are better. The mobile tape was apparently taped from quite a distance, as the audience is quite loud and intrusive at moments. Drums are good, but especially Keith is low in the mix. A nice tape, but as it isn�t from an until now uncirculating show, it is not worth all the hype.

Last but not least is the sound board tape from Palais Royale. This is absolutely the best sounding tape of the last 5 years. Excellent mix, guitars loud and clear, not too much Chuck, no hiss �this could have been a professional release! But now �for me at least- the bad news. I hereby admit (and shoot me for it, or attack me again, or scorn me, do whatever you feel like doing�) that I do not like the Stones in 2002 anymore. It just doesn�t work for me. It starts nice with IORR, Sad Sad Sad (why this song was played only god knows�) and a fast and mean version of If You Can�t Rock Me, but it starts with Stray Cat Blues. Unlike 69 � 76, where the Stones interpreted the song in a total different way live then on the album, and new guitar parts were played which gave the song a total new feel, now the Stones completely copy the album version �and that makes them sound like a cheap cover band of the Rolling Stones. Every lick and every note from the original track are copied and played here without a real feeling. Darryl Jones is the only one improvising, but is doing some terrible funky riffs. Hot Stuff is dreadful � also exactly copied fro the album, and here Daryl Jones seems to have invented the chorus pedal. The horns are terrible, and now the band sounds like a cheap jazz ensamble making some elevator music. Torn and Frayed and Wild Horses are quite good, Happy is lame, but things start to get embarrassing when Can�t Turn You Loose is played. Now the Stones sound like a cheap Blues Brothers cover band on a party in a senior home. Heart of Stone has that same effect �you know the song, but you don�t recognise the band. It just doesn�t sound right to hear the Stones play it now and like this�The Stones are in my opinion way past their time. I know I will hurt some people with it, please keep enjoying the Stones in 2002, but for me it�s over.

Mathijs
10-07-02 12:09 PM
jb Mathjis...can you sell me the L&G boot or advise where it can be purchased....
10-07-02 12:26 PM
T&A I have heard the Toronto show, Mathijs, I can only tell you I feel so sorry that you can't enjoy the Stones in 2002. I think, like many others, they are playing better than in many years - probably since '78, maybe earlier. Stray Cat? Are you kidding me? - sure, it's patterned off the Beggar's version - what in the heck is wrong with that? I has grit and sneer and attitude. Keith and Ronnie tangle in a snarl that sends chills up my spine. I find this much better than the '69 version. Can't Turn You Loose is AMAZING! Keith plays a very tight and cool solo. It's been a highlight every night they've played it.

Again - no sarcasm intended, it's a shame a fan like yourself just doesn't "get it" this time around. The Stones are "knockin' it outta the park" this year - most of us fans are just pinching ourselves in disbelief.

Tod
10-07-02 01:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot The L&G soundtrack...yeah, I've had that for about 6 months now. It's great. JB, I'll hook you up as soon as I get a new burner. Hope to get that done over the weekend.

I doubt that Mr Freezer was VGP's source for the Mobile '72 show. That tape was tree'd over a month ago. Any number of people could have sent it to them. And shame on them for doing so.

I'm not gonna rip on you at all Mathy. I could, God knows that I have the ammo to do it, but what is the point? You have an opinion, and as much as I disagree, all I can feel for you at this point is pity. I pity the fact that you can't find any joy in the current situation with the Stones. In fact, I pity ANYONE who can't get past the fact that 1969 and 1972 are no more. I pity the fact that you can't accept the Rolling Stones for what they are in the here and now. It's very sad sad sad indeed.

And about Sad Sad Sad. I have a very good buddy who saw the Stones do that very song at the Tower Theatre. He doesn't really care for the song all that much. In fact, I've heard him refer to it as "crap". But guess what. He told me that he really liked it at the Tower. Why the fuck would he say that? My guess is that The Stones were so overwhelmingly good that they could have played ANYTHING and it would have been great.

So, once again, I have much pity for you Mathijs. I'm sorry that you can't enjoy a rousing version of Sad Sad Sad. I'm sorry that you feel that it's necessary to turn your back on a band that has given you so much joy over the years. Pity indeed.
10-07-02 01:48 PM
jb Thanks SirMoonie....by the way, is this the same boot as "A few hearts broken"?
[
[Edited by jb]
10-07-02 01:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't know what it was booted as. As far as I know, we got our copy to tree before this particular version had ever been booted before. It may have even come from the guy that did the actual audio transfer from the master reels, but I'm not sure about that.

10-07-02 02:45 PM
Maxlugar Yeah that soundtrack does sound good. Thanks SS'y. Taylor could be turned up a little in the mix for my tastes. But damn good sound. Great actually. Hey SS'y, did you ever watch that Seattle Video I sent you? Fun fun show huh?

10-07-02 05:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yassuh, I dun wach dat fo many a time. It be da good thang.
10-07-02 06:36 PM
full moon No offense, but don't flatter yourself. I couldn't give a flying f**k what you or anyone else thinks is " good" or " bad".. To each his own...But, it is funny how you don't " like" The Stones but still find time to frequent their message board and try to stir up people..
[Edited by full moon]
10-08-02 07:47 AM
corgi37 mathijs, you are one weird fucker. You hate the 2002 stones, but get into a site that for all intensive current purposes, is mostly now all about all things 2002. Get off, and check out what Poof Diddy is up to. Sheesh. I mean, how can the stones be a cover band of themselves? Most people whine about classic songs NOT sounding like the album versions. What do you want, a dub version of Stray Cat Blues. Maybe a house version of Jumping Jack Flash? They wrote the bloody songs, they can do what they want with them.
10-08-02 09:10 AM
Mathijs Have you ever been to a students� party with a swing band, complete with horn section and 2 female vocalists, doing all the old disco hits like �I will Survive� and �Everybody Needs Somebody to Love�? That�s how the Stones sound with Can�t Turn You Loose. Have you ever been to a wedding where the brother of the mom of the neighbours sister has gathered a local band playing all the 60�s hits, and suddenly you hear them pull out Satisfaction, and they just copied the complete studio version? That�s how Stray Cat Blues sounds. How can the Stones cover themselves? Simple: let everybody forgot how a song like Heart of Stones went (which is not bad considering it�s 35 years old), then let Chuck Leavell sort out how it was played originally, and then him tell Keith and Charlie what to do. Now you have the Stones covering their own song. How did they do it in 1969? With Stray Cat Blues they simple said �well, the bridge is in A, Mick Taylor, why don�t you just do something over it while I bash out the chords. Let�s improvise a bit there, let�s throw it around a bit�. Do you notice that Charlie drums ALL songs in Toronto in exactly the same 2/4 tempo? He sounds like a robot now�

Mathijs
10-08-02 10:56 AM
justforyou Don't go bashing party school bands, they can be excellent, but I guess you wouldn't have noticed...
10-08-02 01:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK, now I'm really confused Mathy....

Just exactly what SHOULD the Rolling Stones now try to sound like, according to you? I think, from trying to decipher your posts, is that you want them to sound like the 1969-73 Taylor era Stones.

If that is the case, then I do suggest that you hang it up as a fan of this band. Unfortunately for you, they do not own a time machine. It is now obvious that Mick Taylor won't be playing with the Stones on this tour. The last shot at that will be the HBO special in Jan. But don't hold your breath with that actually happening.

Well, since you don't care for the Stones any longer, I guess this is good-bye. Take care Mathijs. I hope that you find whatever it is that you are looking for.
10-08-02 02:39 PM
Mick28 Mathijs, why even bother; leave the Stones en join the K3 fanclub
10-08-02 03:21 PM
stonesmik Matthijs will stay. It's you that will leave long before him, because you can only react to him. You need him to tell him he's the asshole so you can feel better. But while he has his own opinion you poor whiners can just have the anti-opinion of Matthijs without even giving arguments. You always just say "It's not true, Matthijs leave." All you 5-minute Stonesfans are such a bore. And if you feel concerned, I meant you.
10-08-02 03:30 PM
padre I respect Mathjis' opinions. I think it's good not to take things for granted. Any band CAN suck, yes, I think it is possible. Even with The Stones.
I haven't heard this new VGP release, so no comment on that. But the comments sure sound frightening...
10-08-02 03:31 PM
Moonisup IMO it is very very good, I've heard most of the songs now, well I like, Matthijs doesn't ok fine!

rik
10-08-02 03:47 PM
jb StonesMik is a paradoxical fella...
10-08-02 04:22 PM
Mick28 Stonesmilk better join Mathijs at the K3 fanclub.
10-08-02 04:24 PM
Moonisup lol
10-08-02 04:34 PM
stonesmik Check your spell, Mick28. You're in charge. I observe you since a long time.
10-08-02 04:36 PM
Mick28 duh...I'm affraid..
10-08-02 04:37 PM
Moonisup The miky tongue will get yah Mick28

ahhahaa this is funny!

rik the wooden shoe
10-08-02 04:42 PM
Mick28 Watch it MoonisUp...;-)...I've been watching you for a long time..;-)...
10-08-02 04:44 PM
Moonisup

Yeah that could be!

oh no, You watched me, I should go to sleep

Well I'll watch you mick28

look out for someone following you

rik, the wooden shoe who fucks tulips
10-08-02 04:46 PM
Mick28 Argh! Better watch my back tomorrow on my way to work...
And you better go to sleep as you said you would...
10-08-02 04:49 PM
Moonisup I know, but this is to funny!!

I'll look out for anyone following me,

haha

I've got a bag of nerves on first nights

I like wooden shoes and my aunt does dirty things with tulips
10-09-02 12:41 AM
Mick28 Please give me your aunts' telephone number..;-)
10-09-02 06:28 AM
cocksucker mick 28 and moonisup: go with yout childish talk to a K3 board and leave us alone. You're disgrace. This board should be forbidden for fans under 20.
10-09-02 06:56 AM
Moonisup
quote:
cocksucker wrote:
mick 28 and moonisup: go with yout childish talk to a K3 board and leave us alone. You're disgrace. This board should be forbidden for fans under 20.

Where can I get my cocksucked, where do you get your as fucked?
Page: 1 2