ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Soldier Field, Chicago- October 11, 2006
© Parmeda, thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Significant Digits: The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band, By The Numbers Return to archive
7th October 2006 08:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Significant Digits: The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band, By The Numbers
Research by Dan Yates, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, October 06, 2006

43 YEARS, 3 MONTHS, 29 DAYS

Since June 7, 1963, when the band's first single "Come On" was released in the UK. It reached No. 21 on the charts.

400 TONS

The weight of the stage the Stones have brought to town for the show. It's 200 feet long, 100 feet deep and 8 stories high.

(In metric, it's still big.)

It requires a crew of 160 for set up and tear down. It takes 80 semi trailers to haul all the gear around.

55 ALBUMS released by the Stones, of which Exile on Main Street was ranked No. 7 of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.They have 10 albums on the magazine's list of 500 best.

249 YEARS

The combined age of the band. Mick Jagger is 63, Keith Richards is 62, Charlie Watts (right) is 65 and Ron Wood is 59.

360,000 BEERS

are expected to be sold to the more than 79,000 fans at the concerts tonight and Sunday at Mosaic Stadium. What goes in must go out, so there'll be 150 portable toilets brought in to the venue.

14 DAYS

The reported length of Keith Richard's hospital stay after either (a) falling out of a coconut tree or (b) being involved in a jet-ski accident while in New Zealand during the South Pacific leg of the tour.

6 JAZZ/BIG BAND

albums released by drummer Charlie Watts. Mick Jagger has released 4 solo projects and Keith Richards has 3 solo albums. The most prolific solo Stone is Ron Wood (left), who's released 11 solo albums, the first in 1974.

78 SINGLES released including 23 Top 10 singles in the U.S., the most recent being Mixed Emotions, released on Aug. 21, 1989.The band's last No. 1 single in the U.S. was Miss You, released on May 19, 1978.

ABOUT 2,300 SONGS

will be played on the Bigger Bang Tour, which started Aug. 21, 2005 in Boston and will cover an estimated 110,000 kilometres before it concludes after 115 shows performed in a period of 1 year,

3 months and 1 day. You can expect to hear between 20-22

at each of tonight's and Sunday's shows. (If "Sympathy for the Devil" isn't one of them Sunday, we'll be bummed out. And "Gimme Shelter," and . . . )

THE TOP 10

If you were assigned to make up a list of the Stones' 10 greatest hits, what would you put on it?

With the Rolling Stones' historic visit in sight, the Leader-Post asked three veteran Regina disc jockeys who've watched the band evolve over the last four decades for their thoughts on its greatest hits.

The members of this trio -- Dave Mitchell, Larry Christie and Doug Alexander -- are the first to admit that the Stones' list of hits is so long that it is bound to be controversial.

PREVIOUS PICKS:

10 "It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)"

9 "Get Off of My Cloud"

8 "It's All Over Now"

7 "Honky Tonk Women"

6 "Angie"

5 "Ruby Tuesday"

4 "Brown Sugar"

3 "Paint It Black"

OK, so where do we go from here?

2 "START ME UP"

Whenever DJ Dave Mitchell asks his daughters for their favourite Rolling Stones song, this the one they immediately, and unhesitatingly, pick.

But don't just take their word for it: if you ever go to an NFL game, be prepared to hear this rthymic, aggressive song early on. "When they start up their concerts, that's the first song that gets everybody going," says Mitchell, a veteran of CJME, Z99 and Mix/Lite 92.
Worthy of note is the inspired guitar work and swaggering, cocky tone -- perfect for Jagger's playful on-stage persona.

"Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975, but forcefully entered our collective consciousness after it was featured in the band's 1981 album Tattoo You, which followed several uninspiring albums. The cuts "Start Me Up" and "Waitin' On A Friend" proved the Stones were back -- if only for a while. Tattoo You spent a very respectable nine weeks atop the U.S.. album charts.

"Start Me Up" rose to No. 7 on the UK charts and No. 2 in the U.S. and was one of three songs played by the Stones at the 2006 SuperBowl in Detroit.

1"(I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION"

The unanimous choice of our DJ judges as the Stone's No. 1 hit of all time.

No argument. No debate. Nada.

If any one song can be said to have made the Rolling Stones' reputation, this is it.

This high-powered, confident, sexy song encapsulates the mood of the year in which it was released: 1965.

Jagger himself has credited it with putting the band on the musical and commercial map in the U.S.

Christie reports he did no fewer than 1,265 record hops (which is probably a record in itself) between 1964-74 out of CKBI Radio in Prince Albert. "Doing a dance like this became a science: turn the thermostat up, get the crowd hot, bribe them with Pepsis and LPs for spot dances; If the dance was slow, throw on the Stones and "Satisfaction". Once the crowd heard that opening riff, everyone was on the floor, moving and groovin'. It never failed and I am sure it still works today. Along with Brian Adams' "Summer of '69" and the Fireballs' "Bottle of Wine", "Satisfaction" is one of those dancing songs!"

Billboard magazine's profile of the band says the success of "Satisfaction" well and truly elevated The Rolling Stones to rock superstar status and also gave much credibility to Jagger and Richards as songwriters. It topped the U.S. rock charts for four weeks and led off a long string of hits for the band.

What more can be said?

7th October 2006 11:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >"Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975, but forcefully entered our collective consciousness after it was featured in the band's 1981 album Tattoo You, which followed several uninspiring albums.<

What are these "several uninspiring albums" that preceded Tattoo You that he's talking about. Some Girls???? IORR???? ?????????

7th October 2006 12:24 PM
SweetVirginia

4.5 beers per person.

I love Canadians.

7th October 2006 01:51 PM
Gazza >You can expect to hear between 20-22 at each of tonight's and Sunday's shows

arse!!
7th October 2006 01:57 PM
marko Well,how many concert tickets has been sold,it was allready
in 1999 around 29million,so its over 30million,,,,,licks tour was 4million? and ABB counting next year as well,is
about 7million,40million is close.Quite a number,don´t u
think?
7th October 2006 02:05 PM
Soldatti
quote:
marko wrote:
Well,how many concert tickets has been sold,it was allready
in 1999 around 29million,so its over 30million,,,,,licks tour was 4million? and ABB counting next year as well,is
about 7million,40million is close.Quite a number,don´t u
think?

6.5m in 1989-90
6.8m in 1994-95
5.7m in 1997-99
3.4m in 2002-03
3.5m in 2005-06 and counting
7th October 2006 02:26 PM
marko thats 26million alone
1981-82 was 4.5million?
1970-1978 i would guess 4,5million
1963-1969 10million 5million easily,if not even 10,but lets
say 5million
then its

40million tickets sold.So i guess,they´ll get it over 40,
easily.
7th October 2006 03:11 PM
gustavobala
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
>"Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975, but forcefully entered our collective consciousness after it was featured in the band's 1981 album Tattoo You, which followed several uninspiring albums.<

What are these "several uninspiring albums" that preceded Tattoo You that he's talking about. Some Girls???? IORR???? ?????????

i believe start me up, was first recorded in november 1972 in jamaica!
7th October 2006 04:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
>"Start Me Up" was first recorded in 1975, but forcefully entered our collective consciousness after it was featured in the band's 1981 album Tattoo You, which followed several uninspiring albums.<

Emotional Rescue and Black & Blue, I would think
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)